+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft PR Landing - drove from US

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
Hey, thanks for the details.

We are planning to do a similar soft landing in some days and I was wondering If you can help on below things:

1. Do they allow you taking your car for soft landing as I have read many posts where they don't allow as you do not import car at this stage ?
2. I understand that the border can be crossed from any of the bridges for soft landing. Any preferred for smooth movement ?
3. How did you managed with the car insurance as your US insurance would not work in Canada?

thanks in Advance for your time here!
They did ask some questions about our car which is also on loan and they were saying we HAVE TO import it and where is the title. But when we mentioned that its included in goods to follow and we will be importing it later they were totally fine and understood our situation. We took Peace Bridge as well and went pretty smooth. I have MetLife and they cover Canada. Make sure you call auto insurance in advance and get a letter from them about coverage and emergency contact number in Canada. They emailed the letter to me in 30 mins and its good to have it in case you need it.

Other Tips: Do get you SIN which is near rainbow bridge side and then recommendations for opening bank account - If you like go to TD bank. They have New to Canada scheme which is 0 balance and they will be able to get you credit card approved as well.

Reactions: northern sunshine

sknk89

Star Member
Jan 22, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Hi,

One of my friend is planning for landing from India. He is having medical situation in his family as post landing he can't stay in Canada for more than a week. So the question is, how can he book the tickets? Round trip tickets or he should have to book two tickets one for onward and other for return, to avoid questions from Immigration?

Any one please suggest?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

One of my friend is planning for landing from India. He is having medical situation in his family as post landing he can't stay in Canada for more than a week. So the question is, how can he book the tickets? Round trip tickets or he should have to book two tickets one for onward and other for return, to avoid questions from Immigration?

Any one please suggest?
The officers couldn't care less that he's doing a soft-landing. Round-trip tickets are fine.

Babasalaa1

Mar 27, 2015
I am in the USA as well waiting for final processing of OR.
My question is this : how did you get Copr & immigrant visa? Did you send your passport to Canada by courier or did you get them at Canadian embassy in USA ?

Babasalaa1

Mar 27, 2015
I am in the USA as well waiting for the final processing of PR.

My question us this, how did you get Copr &;immigrant visa?

Did you send your passports to Canada by courier or did you get them from the Canadian embassy in the USA?

vensharm

Star Member
Jul 29, 2015
Hi, Thanks for this thread, very informative.

However, I have few questions:

1. Were you asked for proof of funds, if yes how you replied to that?

2. Which is the border you crossed from and are their any timings for getting all done at the border, SIN etc.

3. Was your US I94 updated with new no. and date?

4. The goods to follow items you submitted. How much time is provided to bring this to Canada?

Thanks
Looking forward for responses as I am planning shortly.

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi, Thanks for this thread, very informative.

However, I have few questions:

1. Were you asked for proof of funds, if yes how you replied to that?

2. Which is the border you crossed from and are their any timings for getting all done at the border, SIN etc.

3. Was your US I94 updated with new no. and date?

4. The goods to follow items you submitted. How much time is provided to bring this to Canada?

Thanks
Looking forward for responses as I am planning shortly.
Hello Friends, I am in a same pool, got my COPR recently and planning to visit for a week or so in July/Aug.
The list of items to carry now or later list is final ? I do not know what all I will take when I move permanently.

I am in Virginia, what will be the nearest border entry point ( I think Niagara Falls , ON )
Would someone recommend going by car, any suggestions ?

Is there any whatsapp group for people who got COPR and preparing for landing ?

vensharm

Star Member
Jul 29, 2015
Hello Friends, I am in a same pool, got my COPR recently and planning to visit for a week or so in July/Aug.
The list of items to carry now or later list is final ? I do not know what all I will take when I move permanently.

I am in Virginia, what will be the nearest border entry point ( I think Niagara Falls , ON )
Would someone recommend going by car, any suggestions ?

Is there any whatsapp group for people who got COPR and preparing for landing ?
I am also in Virginia and planning to go in first week of July. We are planning to go by car. You need to declare the goods you are bringing now and the ones you would be bringing later.

maddymaddy

Feb 23, 2017
Hey, thanks for the details.

We are planning to do a similar soft landing in some days and I was wondering If you can help on below things:

1. Do they allow you taking your car for soft landing as I have read many posts where they don't allow as you do not import car at this stage ?
Ans- I am confused myself, Have read reviews stating both situations. However, Note#2 in the below link tells me that you may not be allowed. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-faq-1336.htm
2. I understand that the border can be crossed from any of the bridges for soft landing. Any preferred for smooth movement ?
Yes as per my knowledge
3. How did you managed with the car insurance as your US insurance would not work in Canada?
Not sure, need to check.

I will be doing my soft landing this week. Hoping all works out well.
thanks in Advance for your time here!

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

My spouse and I did our PR landing on Friday, November 24th. We live in the United States (on H1B visas) and drove across the border. I just wanted to share a few details, hopefully some of you find this helpful.

Border of entry: Bluewater Bridge, Port Huron, MI/Sarnia, ON

We paid a cash toll (I think it was $5 or $6 USD) just after we passed the American side. Then we drove further to the actual border crossing lanes. The wait was not long at all, took us under ten minutes. When it was our turn, we pulled over to the booth, and told the very friendly agent that we were here as first time PR holders, and wanted to complete our landing formalities. He took our passports and CoPR, verified the information, returned the documents and told us to pull over ahead to the right; and that officers will guide us to parking. We did as we were told. Two officers guided us to a parking spot in front of the immigration services building. We took our passports, CoPR, Goods Accompanying and Goods to follow lists (2 copies) and entered the building. There was no waiting time as the office was practically empty but for three officers. One of them asked us to go to his counter, and took the CoPR and passports. He cancelled my PR visa, completed the CoPR with landing date etc, and had me sign the document, which he returned to me with a stern reminder of how this was the most important paper I will hold in my hand and never to lose it. Then he repeated the process with my spouse.

Another officer took the two copies of Goods lists, and entered into a database and gave us a printout which we have to carry with us every time we bring goods into Canada. She also stamped one of the original lists I had provided and returned along with the printout.

There were hardly any questions asked except for the following:
1. Address for PR card. I had to clarify that we were staying at a friend's house, and will return in a few weeks to the United States. This posed no issues, and the officer made a note to send PR card addressed to "c/o my friend's name".
2. Our car was included in the goods to follow list. I own the car but did not carry the title with me. The officer asked me if I had the title, and I said I had it at home, but I did not carry as I was not importing the car now. She said that was fine, and that at the time of import I should also complete export formalities with the US customs.

After this, the officer welcomed us to Canada but did not even smile. For those from the US, you are probably accustomed to nicer border agents. I have always been told with a big smile, "welcome home, miss" every time I entered the US no matter the mode of transportation, even though I have been on various non-immigrant visas. I was a little sad that the officer did not even smile but this was soon overtaken by the elation and joy of now being Canadian Permanent Residents!

We decided to also get our SIN at the Service Canada centre about 4 minutes away. The SIN officer was extremely helpful and very friendly. He welcomed us both warmly to Canada, and more than made up for the poker-face at the border office. Getting our SIN only took us 20 minutes after which we hit the road as newly ordained residents.

Thanks for reading. I will try to answer your questions about soft landing and help in any way I can.
Thanks Sarah for sharing your experience. I live in suburb of Detroit and planning to do soft landing at Port Huron on coming Saturday (June 2) and visit relatives in Toronto. I have been reading experiences and have some questions. As I have just couple of days left, if you can reply urgently it will be highly appreciated

1. Goods declaration – Do I need to download BSF186A, fill up and carry with me or we need to fill up there in the Port of Entry office? How accurate and detailed the list needs to be for goods I am going to bring later (which obviously I don’t exactly know right now). Can you give an example how you have listed small items like furniture, kitchen appliances, cutleries, crockeries, clothes, home decorative items etc.)?

2. Read some comments about car. My car is leased. What all documents I need to show (I am going to say I am not importing the car now as I am going to be there only for the weekend)?

3. Address for PR card – Do they send it to US address? If not do they accept a friend/relative’s address in Canada? I checked some posts where it is written that the officer didn’t accept a friend’s address. What is the solution in this case?

4. I read somewhere in this forum that we can enter multiple times through land just with CoPR? Is that true for Indian Citizens? I thought the visa issued is single entry. If this is correct, how many times can someone enter without PR card? Are you planning to get PR card generated only after you move permanently?

5. Previously someone in this forum suggested me to get another set of photos taken in Canada in case my photos are rejected. Can they still reject photos after sending CoPR?

6. Other than CoPR and passports do I need to carry any document that I submitted in the application (like PCC, academic certificates, WES etc.)?

7. SIN - is SIN office open on Saturday? I guess it is not. If the answer to question #4 is yes, can we go later in weekday and get it done? If answer is no, how should I get this done?

8. What all documents I should carry to reenter US other than passport with visa, petition copy, I-94 etc?

rramnani

Jan 28, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi Sarah Guppy
Thanks for the post. Just 2 quick questions -
1. At any point, did you mention you were doing a soft landing to the officers?
2. How many days did it take for you receive PR card?
Thanks

Jul 11, 2018
If I am taking my laptop, phone and car with me for soft landing but I will be bring it back to US when I come back and then finally they will be imported to Canada when i move. In this case, should the items be listed under 'Good accompanying' or 'goods to follow'?

everydaydealer

Oct 31, 2017
If I am taking my laptop, phone and car with me for soft landing but I will be bring it back to US when I come back and then finally they will be imported to Canada when i move. In this case, should the items be listed under 'Good accompanying' or 'goods to follow'?
i did accompanying and didnt have any issues.

michibong

May 5, 2018
Don't put any item in accompanying unless you are leaving it back in Canada when you return (assuming you'll be back to US / your home country after soft landing). These all should to go in GTF. In my case as I was crossing land border and I told them I am going for a day they didn't even check my accompanying list but asked me whether I have shown the car in GTF

Reactions: india2us2canada11