+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft PR Landing - drove from US

Jul 11, 2018
Don't put any item in accompanying unless you are leaving it back in Canada when you return (assuming you'll be back to US / your home country after soft landing). These all should to go in GTF. In my case as I was crossing land border and I told them I am going for a day they didn't even check my accompanying list but asked me whether I have shown the car in GTF
Thanks a lot! this helps

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
Hi all,
This post is really helpful. I have a question related to my case.
Did anyone did a soft landing while having an expired H-1B visa and extended petition? I do not think there is any challenge in that because Canada won't care about the expired H-1B visa.
Also, while exiting from Canada after 3-4 days, do they ask about anything about the short stay?
I will be taking a plane to do the PR process. After that, I will not come back to the US but go to India to get the new H-1B stamped. Thoughts?

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi all,
Did anyone did a soft landing while having an expired H-1B visa and extended petition? I do not think there is any challenge in that because Canada won't care about the expired H-1B visa.
Also, while exiting from Canada after 3-4 days, do they ask about anything about the short stay?
I will be taking a plane to do the PR process. After that, I will not come back to the US but go to India to get the new H-1B stamped. Thoughts?
If you are not returning to US then it's not a problem. Canada doesn't check your US visa.
About the second question it's hard to predict what someone can ask. Have an answer ready

maddymaddy

Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,
My landing was like this only.
No challenge from entry to Canada perspective. However, just a word of caution, AFAIK - if you are NOT entering back in USA via road, then you will not be eligible for AVR(automatic visa revalidation) (not sure if you were even planning to do that).

sarastone

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
No challenge from entry to Canada perspective. However, just a word of caution, AFAIK - if you are NOT entering back in USA via road, then you will not be eligible for AVR(automatic visa revalidation) (not sure if you were even planning to do that).

Hello can you please tell me what is the AVR. I am in US with 485 pending status

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
@maddymaddy - I just felt very relieved that someone has done the landing like this. Thank you!
Now regarding your thought about AVR, I won't be coming back to the USA after I am done with my PR process. I will go to India, get my H-1B stamped and then come back to the USA.

enhonda

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for your reply. We did our landing last week at Peace Bridge and went pretty smooth. Got SIn and opened TB account as well with credit card approved :)
Hello Cbhav1, Can you help me for some information I needed, I am landing through peace bridge on 28 October.
Please reply on this thread.

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hello Cbhav1, Can you help me for some information I needed, I am landing through peace bridge on 28 October.
Please reply on this thread.
I am also planning to do soft landing in next 2 weeks or so.
My H1B Stamping was expired and was not sure/confident about AVR process on travellig on expired visa + latest I797, so went to India for US Visa stamping.
I am in Virginia, anyone around who is going for (Soft) landing ? Is there a whatsapp group ?
1. Any suggestions - Going on Own(leased) car or Rental car is better ?
2. I read somewhere Govt offices for SIN are closed on monday and fridays to discourage people who come for soft landing and return in a day or two. This is just information I read earlier and have no proof.
3. Is there a guide on landing process - what to do, where to stay etc ?
4. If I go for 3 days Fri, Sat, Sun - is it sufficient ?

Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bullmoose

Apr 20, 2018
Hi,

I just completed my soft landing on Oct 6, around 10 pm via Rainbow bridge. I drove from Maryland in my own car (title is not cleared yet) and had no issues as it was listed in GTF. Overall experience was pretty good, it took us an hour to get everything done, mostly we were just waiting for officer to complete the paper work. Apart from COPR and passport, we were only ask for POF and a bank letter with 6 months average balance was sufficient.

As I was visiting a relative for a week, the officer told that the PR cards cannot be send if I am not in the country. Anyway, the COPR is good for entries if we drive next time, it does not work if you fly to Canada and in that case you need travel doc.

The Custom officer just glanced through the GTF list. She showed little concern about the Cars listed in the GTF but was ok in the end. I was also handed over a paper which stated I'll liable for taxes on the value of the car, exempting $10000. I read in other threads that you need to ask for supervisor at the time when you import the car and this can be handled.

Good Luck!!

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi,

I just completed my soft landing on Oct 6, around 10 pm via Rainbow bridge. I drove from Maryland in my own car (title is not cleared yet) and had no issues as it was listed in GTF. Overall experience was pretty good, it took us an hour to get everything done, mostly we were just waiting for officer to complete the paper work. Apart from COPR and passport, we were only ask for POF and a bank letter with 6 months average balance was sufficient.

As I was visiting a relative for a week, the officer told that the PR cards cannot be send if I am not in the country. Anyway, the COPR is good for entries if we drive next time, it does not work if you fly to Canada and in that case you need travel doc.

The Custom officer just glanced through the GTF list. She showed little concern about the Cars listed in the GTF but was ok in the end. I was also handed over a paper which stated I'll liable for taxes on the value of the car, exempting $10000. I read in other threads that you need to ask for supervisor at the time when you import the car and this can be handled.

Good Luck!!
Thanks for the response.
Hi,

Good Luck!!
Thanks for the response.
So, PR cards can not be sent to friend's address ?
Also, Is there a link on value of car to be imported ?

Appreciate your help

bullmoose

Apr 20, 2018
1. It depends on the officer, if you simply provide the address info to the first officer processing your PR and do not mention your short stay, you can probably get the card shipped. Once that process is done, a custom officer will help you with GTA and GTF lists, you can let him know you are just visiting, if needed.

2. I am not sure which Canadian website they refer for car's book value.

Thanks

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
1. It depends on the officer, if you simply provide the address info to the first officer processing your PR and do not mention your short stay, you can probably get the card shipped. Once that process is done, a custom officer will help you with GTA and GTF lists, you can let him know you are just visiting, if needed.

2. I am not sure which Canadian website they refer for car's book value.

Thanks
@bullmoose Just to confirm that I can travel in my own car ( it is financed and I don't have title with me ) for soft landing ?
I was reading some posts where people faced issues with it and they were asked to import the car before bringing to canada.

bullmoose

Apr 20, 2018
@bullmoose Just to confirm that I can travel in my own car ( it is financed and I don't have title with me ) for soft landing ?
I was reading some posts where people faced issues with it and they were asked to import the car before bringing to canada.
Yep, I've read those posts too and what I concluded is it really depends on the custom officer. Personally, I took my own car and for backup I had asked my relative to be on standby to come to US and pick me up, in case I had to go back and park the car in the US.

I did carried the title of the car, still financed. And of-course, the cars were mentioned in GTF list.