+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft PR Landing - drove from US

Sarah Guppy

Nov 24, 2016
Hi everyone,

My spouse and I did our PR landing on Friday, November 24th. We live in the United States (on H1B visas) and drove across the border. I just wanted to share a few details, hopefully some of you find this helpful.

Border of entry: Bluewater Bridge, Port Huron, MI/Sarnia, ON

We paid a cash toll (I think it was $5 or $6 USD) just after we passed the American side. Then we drove further to the actual border crossing lanes. The wait was not long at all, took us under ten minutes. When it was our turn, we pulled over to the booth, and told the very friendly agent that we were here as first time PR holders, and wanted to complete our landing formalities. He took our passports and CoPR, verified the information, returned the documents and told us to pull over ahead to the right; and that officers will guide us to parking. We did as we were told. Two officers guided us to a parking spot in front of the immigration services building. We took our passports, CoPR, Goods Accompanying and Goods to follow lists (2 copies) and entered the building. There was no waiting time as the office was practically empty but for three officers. One of them asked us to go to his counter, and took the CoPR and passports. He cancelled my PR visa, completed the CoPR with landing date etc, and had me sign the document, which he returned to me with a stern reminder of how this was the most important paper I will hold in my hand and never to lose it. Then he repeated the process with my spouse.

Another officer took the two copies of Goods lists, and entered into a database and gave us a printout which we have to carry with us every time we bring goods into Canada. She also stamped one of the original lists I had provided and returned along with the printout.

There were hardly any questions asked except for the following:
1. Address for PR card. I had to clarify that we were staying at a friend's house, and will return in a few weeks to the United States. This posed no issues, and the officer made a note to send PR card addressed to "c/o my friend's name".
2. Our car was included in the goods to follow list. I own the car but did not carry the title with me. The officer asked me if I had the title, and I said I had it at home, but I did not carry as I was not importing the car now. She said that was fine, and that at the time of import I should also complete export formalities with the US customs.

After this, the officer welcomed us to Canada but did not even smile. For those from the US, you are probably accustomed to nicer border agents. I have always been told with a big smile, "welcome home, miss" every time I entered the US no matter the mode of transportation, even though I have been on various non-immigrant visas. I was a little sad that the officer did not even smile but this was soon overtaken by the elation and joy of now being Canadian Permanent Residents!

We decided to also get our SIN at the Service Canada centre about 4 minutes away. The SIN officer was extremely helpful and very friendly. He welcomed us both warmly to Canada, and more than made up for the poker-face at the border office. Getting our SIN only took us 20 minutes after which we hit the road as newly ordained residents.

Thanks for reading. I will try to answer your questions about soft landing and help in any way I can.

Last edited:

santosh3086

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

My partner and I did our PR landing on Friday, November 24th. We live in the United States (on H1B visas) and drove across the border. I just wanted to share a few details, hopefully some of you find this helpful.

We paid a cash toll (I think it was $5 or $6 USD) just after we passed the American side. Then we drove further to the actual border crossing lanes. The wait was not long at all, took us under ten minutes. When it was our turn, we pulled over to the booth, and told the very friendly agent that we were here as first time PR holders, and wanted to complete our landing formalities. He took our passports and CoPR, verified the information, returned the documents and told us to pull over ahead to the right; and that officers will guide us to parking. We did as we were told. Two officers guided us to a parking spot in front of the immigration services building. We took our passports, CoPR, Goods Accompanying and Goods to follow lists (2 copies) and entered the building. There was no waiting time as the office was practically empty but for three officers. One of them asked us to go to his counter, and took the CoPR and passports. He cancelled my PR visa, completed the CoPR with landing date etc, and had me sign the document, which he returned to me with a stern reminder of how this was the most important paper I will hold in my hand and never to lose it. Then he repeated the process with my spouse.

Another officer took the two copies of Goods lists, and entered into a database and gave us a printout which we have to carry with us every time we bring goods into Canada. She also stamped one of the original lists I had provided and returned along with the printout.

1. Address for PR card. I had to clarify that we were staying at a friend's house, and will return in a few weeks to the United States. This posed no issues, and the officer made a note to send PR card addressed to "c/o my friend's name".
2. Our car was included in the goods to follow list. I own the car but did not carry the title with me. The officer asked me if I had the title, and I said I had it at home, but I did not carry as I was not importing the car now. She said that was fine, and that at the time of import I should also complete export formalities with the US customs.

After this, the officer welcomed us to Canada but did not even smile. For those from the US, you are probably accustomed to nicer border agents. I have always been told with a big smile, "welcome home, miss" every time I entered the US no matter the mode of transportation, even though I have been on various non-immigrant visas. I was a little sad that the officer did not even smile but this was soon overtaken by the elation and joy of now being Canadian Permanent Residents!

We decided to also get our SIN at the Service Canada centre about 4 minutes away. Getting our SIN only took us 20 minutes after which we hit the road as newly ordained residents.

Thanks for reading. I will try to answer your questions about soft landing and help in any way I can.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Sarah Guppy

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
What time did you cross the border? I am wondering if I leave around 4-5 PM Friday and cross the border at night and do rest of the formalities on Saturday. Do you think its possible?

allthebest90

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi everyone,

My spouse and I did our PR landing on Friday, November 24th. We live in the United States (on H1B visas) and drove across the border. I just wanted to share a few details, hopefully some of you find this helpful.

We decided to also get our SIN at the Service Canada centre about 4 minutes away. The SIN officer was extremely helpful and very friendly. He welcomed us both warmly to Canada, and more than made up for the poker-face at the border office. Getting our SIN only took us 20 minutes after which we hit the road as newly ordained residents.

Thank you for spending time to write this up and for sharing! Congratulations!

Sarah Guppy

Nov 24, 2016
What time did you cross the border? I am wondering if I leave around 4-5 PM Friday and cross the border at night and do rest of the formalities on Saturday. Do you think its possible?
We crossed around 9 AM on Friday (day after thanksgiving). I am sure you can cross the border any time as most immigration services are available 24x7; however getting a SIN might be dependent on the operating hours of Service Canada (or Service Ontario or whatever province you are going to). You might want to double check the hours if you plan to get your SIN right away like I did.

Reactions: Cbhav1

DelhiUSCanada

Aug 6, 2017
HI Friends...

I am in US right now and planning to visit Canada in April for soft landing... Before doing soft landing I have a few queries.. Can anyone please address them...

1. Do we need to spend a minimum number of days in Canada after soft landing before heading back to US.
  2. If the the immigration officer asks about the duration of your stay in Canada before heading back for US then can we tell them that we willl be heading back in a day or two?
  3. Although I will provide them with the list of goods that I will be bringing along with me at the time of hard landing but what will happen if I buy more thing eventually and plan to take them with me when I do the final hard landing...
  4. What level of details do we need to furnish when filling the BSF186A form..
Thanks in advance to everyone for helping...

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
HI Friends...

I am in US right now and planning to visit Canada in April for soft landing... Before doing soft landing I have a few queries.. Can anyone please address them...

1. Do we need to spend a minimum number of days in Canada after soft landing before heading back to US.
  2. If the the immigration officer asks about the duration of your stay in Canada before heading back for US then can we tell them that we willl be heading back in a day or two?
  3. Although I will provide them with the list of goods that I will be bringing along with me at the time of hard landing but what will happen if I buy more thing eventually and plan to take them with me when I do the final hard landing...
  4. What level of details do we need to furnish when filling the BSF186A form..
Thanks in advance to everyone for helping...
1 you could go back the same day,
1.1 you need to get your SIN/NAS, so you need one day, then you will get your medical card
2 they don't ask about the duration of your stay, It suppose you will live in Canada, that's the PR meaning, don't say anything about soft landing
3 if you buy more things, pay taxes
4 all your belongings

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
Hi everyone,

"For those from the US, you are probably accustomed to nicer border agents" = Really???

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
We crossed around 9 AM on Friday (day after thanksgiving). I am sure you can cross the border any time as most immigration services are available 24x7; however getting a SIN might be dependent on the operating hours of Service Canada (or Service Ontario or whatever province you are going to). You might want to double check the hours if you plan to get your SIN right away like I did.
Thanks for your reply. We did our landing last week at Peace Bridge and went pretty smooth. Got SIn and opened TB account as well with credit card approved :)

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
"For those from the US, you are probably accustomed to nicer border agents" = Really???
Even I got very rude cbsa officers during my labdir who were so irritated about me becoming PR, but very nice cbp agent on the way back. Zero generalization here

attituderohit

Star Member
Jun 23, 2017
Hey, thanks for the details.

We are planning to do a similar soft landing in some days and I was wondering If you can help on below things:

1. Do they allow you taking your car for soft landing as I have read many posts where they don't allow as you do not import car at this stage ?
2. I understand that the border can be crossed from any of the bridges for soft landing. Any preferred for smooth movement ?
3. How did you managed with the car insurance as your US insurance would not work in Canada?

thanks in Advance for your time here!

Aman-Kaur

Mar 11, 2018
Hey, thanks for the details.

We are planning to do a similar soft landing in some days and I was wondering If you can help on below things:

1. Do they allow you taking your car for soft landing as I have read many posts where they don't allow as you do not import car at this stage ?
2. I understand that the border can be crossed from any of the bridges for soft landing. Any preferred for smooth movement ?
3. How did you managed with the car insurance as your US insurance would not work in Canada?

thanks in Advance for your time here!
Hi,
I am not sure if you have already done the short landing...
We have just returned from Canada to US after short landing by road.
1. We drove our car which is on loan. Had no problems. No questions were asked. Make sure you do carry Original or copy of title(if on loan), Loan agreement original copy, incase they want to have a look.
2. Peace bridge was very smooth for us. You may also take Rainbow bridge.
3. We checked with our Auto Insurance and they said that it will work in Canada. Ours was Liberty Mutual.
Hope this helps! Goodluck