+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Assistance Check for Sponsor

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
There are very few people who have COPR and applied in June 2020. Most have processing times similar to you.
Yes , but IRCC is not working based on first come first serve system. IRCC is working randomly. People who applied in March 2021 got their AOR while June 2020 applicants are still waiting for AOR.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Yes , but IRCC is not working based on first come first serve system. IRCC is working randomly. People who applied in March 2021 got their AOR while June 2020 applicants are still waiting for AOR.
I’m speechless to be honest. I read a lot of bad things about IRCC, but I couldn’t imagine -even in my worst nightmare- that someone can get his AOR while being from March 2021. If it was not for my wife, I would never come to this country. I hate this country so much. They’re unfair.
But love is love.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
I’m speechless to be honest. I read a lot of bad things about IRCC, but I couldn’t imagine -even in my worst nightmare- that someone can get his AOR while being from March 2021. If it was not for my wife, I would never come to this country. I hate this country so much. They’re unfair.
But love is love.
If I didn't have so many ties, a career, debts etc. I would go live abroad. It would be an amazing opportunity...but the timing is not right... one day, it's our plan. But, I need my husband here with me until such time.

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
But love is love.
I can understand you. I am going through same situation. I have applied in June 2020 but still waiting for file transfer while people from 2021 have their application transferred.
When did you apply ?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
I can understand you. I am going through same situation. I have applied in June 2020 but still waiting for file transfer while people from 2021 have their application transferred.
When did you apply ?
First week of July, 2020, unfortunately. I’m helpless when I see people of 2021 getting all the best treatments.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
When did you apply ?
I'm anxious about the file transfer too. But, I've read old posts and Paris isn't always forthcoming about whether they have received it or not. I don't want to call yet.. because it will give me more anxiety...and since France is getting hammered with covid :( I will just give it another 4 - 6 weeks before calling to see if it was transferred.

Last edited:

kittenlover

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Hi, does anyone know if there's an issue for sponsor approval if the sponsor tried to request social assistance (more than 5 years ago) but didn't actually get any social assistance?

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi, does anyone know if there's an issue for sponsor approval if the sponsor tried to request social assistance (more than 5 years ago) but didn't actually get any social assistance?
The time is not matter, the sponsor don't have to be socially assisted when he is in the process. But to avoid delay, he has to wait 12 months, so that social assistance won't appear on the NOA ( Tax) of the current year since there is a line dedicated to social assistance.

Reactions: kittenlover

menaka_p

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
There are very few people who have COPR and applied in June 2020. Most have processing times similar to you.
Hi, do you know if IRCC conducts a social assistance check from the concerned province for every sponsor, or is there something in the sponsor's history that triggers this check? I see some people getting SA within a few days of getting AOR while for some it takes months. I am wondering if the social assistance check delays SA for some files?

menaka_p

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
Yes I got SA on Feb 20 , 2021
Congrats! That was a long wait. I see some applicants getting SAs within days of AOR while for some it takes months. Not sure if files are randomly selected for a social assistance check from the province or if that is a standard/mandatory requirement. If it were mandatory how come some people get SA a few days within AOR or even on the same day! We're March 2020 applicants still waiting for SA!! Called IRCC and the agent said everything looks good, just have to wait...did you contact IRCC while waiting for SA, did the agent tell you that they were running a social assistance check, or did you order your GCMS notes to find out?

• Sad
Reactions: kittenlover

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Congrats! That was a long wait. I see some applicants getting SAs within days of AOR while for some it takes months. Not sure if files are randomly selected for a social assistance check from the province or if that is a standard/mandatory requirement. If it were mandatory how come some people get SA a few days within AOR or even on the same day! We're March 2020 applicants still waiting for SA!! Called IRCC and the agent said everything looks good, just have to wait...did you contact IRCC while waiting for SA, did the agent tell you that they were running a social assistance check, or did you order your GCMS notes to find out?
I can't really say, obviously...but when we apply we submit our NOA and letter from employer... I would think that's pretty solid that you don't receive SA. If you are receiving SA, I believe there is a line item for that on taxes?

menaka_p

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
I can't really say, obviously...but when we apply we submit our NOA and letter from employer... I would think that's pretty solid that you don't receive SA. If you are receiving SA, I believe there is a line item for that on taxes?
Yes, that's what I think so too. Those documents indicate whether a person is on social assistance. I am wondering what triggers an additional check with the province because I know some people whose SAs have been delayed because the respective province hadn't shared the info with IRCC.

Reactions: his*marty