Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Not to speak for another poster but the language you've quoted shows the complexity that canuck78 was referring to: travel / entry to Canada is currently limited to "essential" travel. But the section you've quoted says "a person's desire .... may be legitimate."

I think an honest reading of this shows the ambiguity: the desire to enter can be legitimate but not essential. Will the CBSA officer see your desire to enter ('temporarily') as essential under dual intent? Or will some interpret this to mean that if it's 'just' a desire (however good the reasons might be), then it's not essential (almost by definition)?

So yes, dual intent may not be automatically grounds for denial of entry, and still (practically) entirely different in practice than pre-covid.
As I said, I am only talking about dual intent. If we both agree that it is not the only reason for which a foreign national can be denied entry, then your comment should be directed to the OP. I was not the one asking for advice.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hey everyone. Like many of you I am a PR in Canada and I want my family to come and stay with me during this pandemic.

I called CBSA office yesterday and asked if my wife who has a visitor visa to Canada as well as my son who doesn't need visa (US citizen) can come to Canada for the purpose of family reunification. We filed our sponsorship application in February so we are waiting for SA now.

What CBSA told me on the phone didn't sound nice at all: basically until June 30th, no visitor can come to Canada unless he/she travels for an essential reason. Family reunification isn't essential. However, the final decision will be made at the border if my family can even board the plane.

Then I contacted Canadian consulate in my home country and this is the official response from them:

Foreign nationals could travel to Canada only if they are exempt from the travel restrictions and are coming for an essential purpose.

- We would like to emphasize that, although you may fall within an exemption category for foreign nationals under the current travel ban, this does not automatically guarantee entry into Canada. The final decision on admission to Canada is made by border services officers at Canadian ports of entry. In order to be admitted into Canada, and in addition to meeting all the usual entry requirements, foreign nationals must satisfy the examining officer that their entry to Canada is for an essential rather than a discretionary purpose. Essential purposes could include, for instance, starting a job in an essential industry in Canada; return to habitual place of residence; beginning an in-person study program; or establishing permanent residence when approval had been confirmed before March 18th 2020. Essential travel may not include reunification with an immediate family member if the non-Canadian’s normal place of residence is not in Canada and there is no urgent need for their presence in Canada at this time.
Apparently, there is no way that the members of our our families can come to Canada since the only option we have is family reunification and that option is not essential.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: armoured

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Hey everyone. Like many of you I am a PR in Canada and I want my family to come and stay with me during this pandemic.

I called CBSA office yesterday and asked if my wife who has a visitor visa to Canada as well as my son who doesn't need visa (US citizen) can come to Canada for the purpose of family reunification. We filed our sponsorship application in February so we are waiting for SA now.

What CBSA told me on the phone didn't sound nice at all: basically until June 30th, no visitor can come to Canada unless he/she travels for an essential reason. Family reunification isn't essential. However, the final decision will be made at the border if my family can even board the plane.

Then I contacted Canadian consulate in my home country and this is the official response from them:

Apparently, there is no way that the members of our our families can come to Canada since the only option we have is family reunification and that option is not essential.

Any thoughts?
The information you received is correct. Until the borders are open, such is not an essential reason to come to the border. It would be different if the foreign national had a proof of address in Canada (by that I mean that it is his/her main residence). I think they could come if they are landing with COPR (which is not to be confused with flagpoling which is not considered essential travel). You could be able to board the plane but the family member could be denied. CBSA enforce rules of 90 different agencies, of which, immigration department (IRCC). Therefore, a family member who does not live in Canada, faces high chances to be denied entry. This is how I understood that CBSA interprets it. We have to wait next month to see if they will further extend the restrictions.

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
So Wait until June 30th, whats the big deal???...No you want it NOW.
Obviously there is a reason for shutting down the border and it is to protect the health and safety of Canadians.
You are not special.
Which part of my post suggests that I am special?

People here discuss how to bring their families to Canada legally, that is why I shared some official information on this topic. Btw, June 30th is just an initial date for the ban. It doesn't mean that it won't be extended.

And the big deal is that my kid is turning 2 years in July and I haven't seen him for 6 months, so if you don't mind, I will participate in the discussion on what are the legal ways for a our families to come to Canada and be with us. I am not claiming that this particular situation in my life puts me above everyone else. However, there is nothing wrong in sharing valuable information

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
The information you received is correct. Until the borders are open, such is not an essential reason to come to the border. It would be different if the foreign national had a proof of address in Canada. I think they could come if they are landing with COPR (which is not to be confused with flagpoling which is not considered essential travel). You could be able to board the plane but the family member could be denied. CBSA enforce rules of 90 different agencies, of which, immigration department (IRCC). Therefore, a family member who does not live in Canada, faces high chances to be denied entry. This is how I understood that CBSA interprets it. We have to wait next month to see if they will further extend the restrictions.
I live in Canada. My wife and son are in our home country now. I don't need to board a plane.

My post was not about that though. I just wanted to share the information that I obtained

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I live in Canada. My wife and son are in our home country now. I don't need to board a plane.

My post was not about that though. I just wanted to share the information that I obtained
Well, you said Any thoughts? which is why I replied. By "you", it was not directed to you personally, but in that sentence, I meant the foreign national. Thanks for sharing.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Which part of my post suggests that I am special?

People here discuss how to bring their families to Canada legally, that is why I shared some official information on this topic. Btw, June 30th is just an initial date for the ban. It doesn't mean that it won't be extended.

And the big deal is that my kid is turning 2 years in July and I haven't seen him for 6 months, so if you don't mind, I will participate in the discussion on what are the legal ways for a our families to come to Canada and be with us. I am not claiming that this particular situation in my life puts me above everyone else. However, there is nothing wrong in sharing valuable information
Are you outland Qc? Have you already received your CSQ? Im Qc inland (oct 2019). I hope this situation won't delay too much because it's already long enough for Quebec applicants. Hope your family is well and that you will get a chance to see your child soon.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Any thoughts?
Thank you very much for sharing this info, particularly the key phrase "Essential travel may not include reunification with an immediate family member if the non-Canadian’s normal place of residence is not in Canada and there is no urgent need for their presence in Canada at this time."

Was this in an email or other response, i.e. how did you receive this? Which embassy was this?

I'm not happy with it but it is at least a coherent statement of the policy.

Has anyone else seen this or similar phrasing explanation elsewhere, especially on a GC website?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thank you very much for sharing this info, particularly the key phrase "Essential travel may not include reunification with an immediate family member if the non-Canadian’s normal place of residence is not in Canada and there is no urgent need for their presence in Canada at this time."

Was this in an email or other response, i.e. how did you receive this? Which embassy was this?

I'm not happy with it but it is at least a coherent statement of the policy.

Has anyone else seen this or similar phrasing explanation elsewhere, especially on a GC website?
I received a similar answer when I call CBSA yesterday. In my case, they said we would be able to enter whether we were coming back from US or another country, since my husband (foreign national) place of residence is Canada and he also has a WP.

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
I received a similar answer when I call CBSA yesterday. In my case, they said we would be able to enter whether we were coming back from US or another country, since my husband (foreign national) place of residence is Canada and he also has a WP.
Hi, how did you contact the CBSA?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Hi, how did you contact the CBSA?
I don't remember the business hours of the call center but you can call them at 1 (800) 461-9999.

arsalsam786

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
can i apply after 9 june for visit visa to visit spouse for our anniversary in sep?what are the chances that visa will be not be rejected? our spousal sponsorship application is in process from dec 19.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
can i apply after 9 june for visit visa to visit spouse for our anniversary in sep?what are the chances that visa will be not be rejected? our spousal sponsorship application is in process from dec 19.
yes you can apply. The chance of rejection is high.