Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
It was not for me. We asked for a letter for our children. We were not asked for any new documents, it was simply rejected to be non-essential even if they have COPR.

We did a letter explaining how they can quarantine once here and what the plans are once they arrive.
Same. But for my wife. I even paid for health and life insurance which also covered COVID.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
If you are talking about getting the authorization letter from IRCC, here is the detail,
ALL OTHER ENQUIRIES RECEIVED THROUGH THIS INBOX WILL NOT BE ANSWERED.

1. Written authorization from the Government of Canada
Who needs to request a written authorization from this inbox?1. You are a foreign national wanting to reunite with an immediate family member residing in Canada that is NOT a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident; and
2. You hold a valid visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or applied for one before April 9, 2020 and the application is still in progress; and
3. You are travelling to Canada for an essential purpose.
Who is considered an immediate family member?Spouse or common law partner, dependent child, dependent child of a dependent child, parents or step parents, guardian or tutor.
How do I apply for a written authorization letter?Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and provide all the following information for you and your immediate family member in Canada:
· Full name
· Date of Birth
· UCI
· Application Number
· Passport Number
· Detailed purpose of travel
· Proof of relationship with an immediate family member in Canada
· Proof of immigration status of the immediate family member in Canada
· Proof of Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

All requests that do not include the above information will be considered incomplete and deleted. If you have already submitted an incomplete request but meet the above criteria, please resend all documents and information in a single email.

2. Exemptions from the travel restrictions
Who needs to tell this inbox they are exempt from the travel restrictions?· You are a foreign national who applied for a visitor visa before April 9, 2020 and the application is still in progress; and
· You are exempt from the travel restrictions; and
· You are travelling to Canada for an essential purpose.
Who is exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Canada without written authorization?· Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
· Temporary foreign worker who has a valid work permit or was approved a work permit and coming for essential purpose
· Student who has a valid study permit or was approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020
· Foreign national who is coming for an essential (non-discretionary) purpose from the United States
· Immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, in Canada or abroad.
· Other exemptions
What to do if I’m exempt and need to apply for a TRV (visitor visa)· Starting April 9, you must apply online
· You must tell us why you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and why you’re travelling for an essential purpose.
· When answering the question on the application form about the purpose of travel, enter the following information exactly as written to ensure your application is prioritized:
a) For question 1 a) purpose of travel, choose “other” from the drop-down menu.
b) For question 1 b) description field, write COVID-19 exactly like this (you must use capital letters).
What to do if I’m exempt and need to apply for an eTA, or if I already applied for oneYou’ll need to send a Web form to tell us why you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and why you’re travelling for an essential purpose.
I sent an email to that account shortly after applying for my wife’s TRV. I included a cover letter and invitation letter and all documents including plane ticket purchased and life insurance and health insurance purchased. Obviously I’ve got refund for the plane ticket and insurance once I got the rejection letter.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
I sent an email to that account shortly after applying for my wife’s TRV. I included a cover letter and invitation letter and all documents including plane ticket purchased and life insurance and health insurance purchased. Obviously I’ve got refund for the plane ticket and insurance once I got the rejection letter.
Things are really inconsistent and confusing now. I got reply and was told that my wife does not need this letter because she is exempt from travel restriction. What is the difference here? The only difference I can see is that my wife already got CoPR.

Reactions: Laurahd

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Things are really inconsistent and confusing now. I got reply and was told that my wife does not need this letter because she is exempt from travel restriction. What is the difference here? The only difference I can see is that my wife already got CoPR.
Super confusing. Some are getting the letter, some are told they don’t need the letter and other are getting the rejection letter. No standard. And these ppl (IRCC and CBSA) now have our future (life in Canada with our spouses) in there hands. It’s breaking my heart bcs these are federal entities like I work for. But you’ll never see this with my employer. We live and breath policies, directives and orders. QR&O, DAOD, National Defence ACT, Routine Orders, Base Standing Orders, Wing Standing Orders....No room for interpretation and no grey area!

Last edited:

ZOOZ

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
Category........
Other
Ours was rejected in late March so we were able to withdraw and get the TRV fee back. It’s very unlikely.

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
“Not sufficient” as proof of citizenship or essential travel?

Canadian passport are one of the clear examples given my them as proof of Citizenship. So, your Canadian spouse’s passport and your marriage certificate is suffice proof that your relationship It with Canadian citizen. All the best and good luck!
It said must include all
In general, IRCC will NOT provide authorization letters to immediate family members of Canadian citizens and PRs. They stated clearly here:
Immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents
To board your flight to Canada, you must

• have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential (non-discretionary) reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a passport that is valid to fly to Canada
You do not need a written authorization from the Government of Canada confirming that you are exempt from the travel restrictions

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

From my personal experience, I got reply from IRCC and they reiterate my spouse is exempt and does not need this letter. But I do see in some cases in this forum, spouses managed to get such letter.

yeah i received that email too. i submitted the application via webform as suggested by them. uploaded my husband's passport but they asked for more. so i'm not really sure what they are asking for.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
The letter came from IRCC. I asked the embassy and they directed me to IRCC. I still can't come because I confirmed from CBSA border about this. Apparently even if have a letter they are the ones deciding whether it's essential or not. Me not having any job offer for them is not essential regardless of the letter I hold.
Just seeing your reply now. You mean your residence is in Canada (proof of adress) and/or you are going there to settle and they told you they wont let you in? Or you just have TRV and they said they will deny entry? I'm behind on new messages so apologies if you've already answered this

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Just seeing your reply now. You mean your residence is in Canada (proof of adress) and/or you are going there to settle and they told you they wont let you in? Or you just have TRV and they said they will deny entry? I'm behind on new messages so apologies if you've already answered this
No, @smileyface19 does not have CoPR so she cannot claim she is coming to settle and that is why CBSA does not agree her travel is essential. If you or your spouse have CoPR, I can the current trend that CBSA would consider the travel is essential.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
My husband is there with a lease of contract for 1 year. I thought that even as TRV holders as long as the residency is 1 year or more, it will be considered essential, but I don't want to take the risk of traveling nd getting denied so still waiting for updates. If my daughter's school starts next month they will let me in but school starts on September.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
My husband is there with a lease of contract for 1 year. I thought that even as TRV holders as long as the residency is 1 year or more, it will be considered essential, but I don't want to take the risk of traveling nd getting denied so still waiting for updates. If my daughter's school starts next month they will let me in but school starts on September.
Temporary resident visa validity (expiry dates)

The validity date is NOT the suggested duration of the visit. At the port of entry examination, CBSA officers determine the length of time temporary residents are authorized to stay in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visa-validity-expiry-dates.html

TRV validity period is determined by CBSA at POE so it is really difficult and unpredictable regardless what you say your intention is.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Doubt that covers covid.
I’m telling you, MY WIFE’S POLICY COVERD COVID-19, and $150k life insurance. Yes, most (not all) policies have the COVID-19 claws and don’t cover at. Mine did, I purchase from a broker and asked him multiple times by email and text WRT covid coverage. He assure me that it did. Then I read the entire policy terms and did not see COVID-19 or anything related mentioned.