+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I don't know what is confusing you. It is always the case that CBSA officers at POE have the final decision to allow any foreigners to enter Canada. It is like this even without this travel restriction. But I don't see any reason if you have the authorization letter from Canadian government and your travel is essential, why would CBSA officers at POE deny your entrance to Canada.
When I read some who are on trv and with a letter being denied that's what worries me. If some are denied even with having a letter then it can happen to me too, maybe just cautious since I was denied once.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
I see. But my rationale is if you think you can postpone your travel and have doubt that you could be denied at POE, then the travel is probably not essential.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
My interpretation of the above rules is any immediate family members who are going to enter Canada on visitor visa or eTA would be denied, as valid visa would only allow them to stay for less than one year unless they have government authorization letter to prove their travel is non-optional. But regardless, it is still under the decision of CBSA officers jurisdiction at POE.
Is your timeline really from Dec 2018 to Mar 2020???

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I have immediate family member, I'm married to a canadian citizen. And we wanna go back to Canada to take care of her grandparents. Would that work as family reunification? Would I be allowed with her into Canada? we would be travelling for an essential reason and I'm an immediate family member of a canadian citizen.
That wouldn't work, keep company is not an essential reason. There was actually an article published not long ago where a US citizen was sent back to the US her Canadian husband was allowed in, because they considered being together not essential.

Your husband can take care of his parents without you, so it wouldn't necessarily be considered as essential.

I think at this point there are no clear guidelines, so there will always be a risk of being sent back

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
That wouldn't work, keep company is not an essential reason. There was actually an article published not long ago where a US citizen was sent back to the US her Canadian husband was allowed in, because they considered being together not essential.

Your husband can take care of his parents without you, so it wouldn't necessarily be considered as essential.

I think at this point there are no clear guidelines, so there will always be a risk of being sent back
I read the same article. The married couple live in eastern Canada. They went to Florida before the pandemic. When they return to the Canadian border, the wife was refused entry as she only had a visitors visa. Now they are living apart and have retained counsel for assistance. This could be a case law if it ends up in court.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I've just managed to enter Canada being a spouse of a Canadian citizen, having a visitor visa and still waiting for PR.
Though it was written on the official government of Canada websites that immediate families of Canadian citizens do not need letters of authorization, but I can tell you for sure - get this letter if you intend to travel to Canada. This letter was checked in the city of departure, then in the city of a layover before taking the next flight to Canada and then in Canada at the arrival. Without this letter they wouldn't let me board.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
I've just managed to enter Canada being a spouse of a Canadian citizen, having a visitor visa and still waiting for PR.
Though it was written on the official government of Canada websites that immediate families of Canadian citizens do not need letters of authorization, but I can tell you for sure - get this letter if you intend to travel to Canada. This letter was checked in the city of departure, then in the city of a layover before taking the next flight to Canada and then in Canada at the arrival. Without this letter they wouldn't let me board.
First of all I like to thank you for sharing your story. Can you please elaborate on how you were able to get such letter? Where are you coming from?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First of all I like to thank you for sharing your story. Can you please elaborate on how you were able to get such letter? Where are you coming from?
It is from the embassy/consulate. In the guidelines it says if you have a letter from the embassy you will be able to travel. Others have been refused a letter.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I saw that the Canadian Embassy had posted information about repatriation flights, so I contacted them and asked about getting on the flight. I received a call, asking for my document information, and was given a letter. The letter itself states that it does not guaruntee entry, it is still up to CBSA at the port of entry.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
It is from the embassy/consulate. In the guidelines it says if you have a letter from the embassy you will be able to travel. Others have been refused a letter.
I know who issues the letter. But I was asking the OP how they were able to obtain the letter. when I was not and a whole bunch of other members were not. What did the OP do differently than what we did? how was the OPs situation different than ours? is what I’m trying to get to the bottom of.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
I saw that the Canadian Embassy had posted information about repatriation flights, so I contacted them and asked about getting on the flight. I received a call, asking for my document information, and was given a letter. The letter itself states that it does not guaruntee entry, it is still up to CBSA at the port of entry.
Thank you! I assume you already had a TRV before contacting the embassy. Did you obtain your TRV bafore the pendemic, through normal processing channels? You don’t have to say where you are visiting from but can you tell us if you are visiting from the US or a non-US country?