File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That is different from what I experience. I called CBSA last weekend and officer told me immediate family members are exempt from travel restriction if the trip is considered non-optional, e.g., establish full-time residency etc. The intention is to stay with your family members for long time (e.g., 1 year or longer) but not on a vacation visit.
It's honestly all over the place based on what we are seeing on this forum. Some people are being told one thing - others something else for the same scenario. And we've seen a number of denied boardings.

It think it's a dice roll unless someone is already a Canadian citizen or PR - or has a valid COPR.

It's unfortunate the rules aren't clearer or aren't applied more consistently.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
I understand it. But what arguments will help to convince the Officer in Canada at Pearson? As I see, the final decision is made by them regardless authorization letters from IRCC. I cannoy find the definition of "essential" on Canadian website. Though the British website defines "essential" like it's your personal decision whether you need to travel or not.
I wonder what can be said to the Officer to persuade him that staying apart affects my and husband's mental and physical state ?
Can anybody give examples of successful entries? Please
The definitions are defined here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
CBSA also updated their website on May 1, hopefully it makes their justification rules more clear...Essentially, if you come to Canada to live with your immediate family members for one year or more, it is considered "essential". Come to visit/live with your spouses and then go back home country in less than 1 year is not essential...

Coming to Canada
  • I declare
    Returning to live in Canada following international travel of less than one year
  • Moving or returning to Canada
    • entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for one year or more (in the Customs Tariff, such a person is referred to as a "settler");
    • a former resident, moving back to Canada to resume residence after a continuous absence of one year or more, or after being a resident of another country for a period of one year or more.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/cpr-crp-eng.html

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
My interpretation of the above rules is any immediate family members who are going to enter Canada on visitor visa or eTA would be denied, as valid visa would only allow them to stay for less than one year unless they have government authorization letter to prove their travel is non-optional. But regardless, it is still under the decision of CBSA officers jurisdiction at POE.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CBSA also updated their website on May 1, hopefully it makes their justification rules more clear...Essentially, if you come to Canada to live with your immediate family members for one year or more, it is considered "essential". Come to visit/live with your spouses and then go back home country in less than 1 year is not essential...

Coming to Canada
  • I declare
    Returning to live in Canada following international travel of less than one year
  • Moving or returning to Canada
    • entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for one year or more (in the Customs Tariff, such a person is referred to as a "settler");
    • a former resident, moving back to Canada to resume residence after a continuous absence of one year or more, or after being a resident of another country for a period of one year or more.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/cpr-crp-eng.html
The part you have quoted above has nothing to do with COVID-19. This info was posted pre-COVID and hasn't changed. All this does is point to the pre-existing guides for people coming for less than one year vs. people coming for more than one year.

Only the bit at the top of the page in the yellow box has been added.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
From the link in the (CBSA) yellow box:

Foreign nationals
If you are a foreign national arriving from the U.S. with symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.
Foreign nationals arriving from the U.S. without symptoms of COVID-19, will be allowed to enter Canada only for essential travel.
Foreign nationals, excluding those arriving from the U.S., will not be allowed into Canada. However, there are exemptions to these restrictions for foreign nationals arriving from other countries.
Keep in mind that while IRCC May have allowances for family members, CBSA is the final authority on who gets to enter Canada, regardless of their status. It has always been this way (though not often reported during time of normal activities) they can and have denied family members entry. These are exceptional times and the regulations are being enforce stringently.

Last edited:

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I understand it. But what arguments will help to convince the Officer in Canada at Pearson? As I see, the final decision is made by them regardless authorization letters from IRCC. I cannoy find the definition of "essential" on Canadian website. Though the British website defines "essential" like it's your personal decision whether you need to travel or not.
I wonder what can be said to the Officer to persuade him that staying apart affects my and husband's mental and physical state ?
Can anybody give examples of successful entries? Please
From what I read here some say to live with your spouse for more than a year, or to work or study. I will still have my husband call CBSA since it's tricky that even if we get a letter from IRCC they can still deny entry at the border. The problem is I am also on open work permit and will still look for a job there while my daughter's school starts September but we plan on living there for more than a year with my spouse so that should be considered as essential.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I Am US citizen and my spouse and kids are Canadian National and lives in Canada. I was suppose to fly to Canada from Japan next week. I called CBSA Officer and he clearly told me I won’t be able to travel to Canada even I am immediate family member of Canadian citizen. Basically only Canadians and PR holders can enter Canada. They don’t care for immediate family members reuniting or entering Canada. It’s better they remove Immediate family members from travel restrictions exempt list. I feel sad for Travellers getting denied to board their flights or denied by a CBSA Officer at airport. Totally misleading information.
Only PR Holders and Canadian citizens?? Then how come some temporary foreign workers are given letters by the IRCC that they are exempt from the travel ban provided that the trip is essential? The IRCC and the CBSA seems to have a different set of guidelines that contradict one another?

W.bt

May 6, 2020
Only PR Holders and Canadian citizens?? Then how come some temporary foreign workers are given letters by the IRCC that they are exempt from the travel ban provided that the trip is essential? The IRCC and the CBSA seems to have a different set of guidelines that contradict one another?
Yes if you can obtain letters by IRCC that’s different case. But at the moment it’s hard to get letter approved. For immediate family member you can only enter if you have 1 year visa , In my case I have US passport and I didn’t apply for PR because I work in Japan. I just wanted to be with my family in Canada during these crises. But CBSA don’t think social support in essential. Majority of countries with restrictions are allowing spouses/ parent of immediate family to enter without any essential reason. I am more disappointed at Trudeau for making these rules for immediate family members. It’s hard to stay away from your family for long time especially if your kids are dependent.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Yes if you can obtain letters by IRCC that’s different case. But at the moment it’s hard to get letter approved. For immediate family member you can only enter if you have 1 year visa , In my case I have US passport and I didn’t apply for PR because I work in Japan. I just wanted to be with my family in Canada during these crises. But CBSA don’t think social support in essential. Majority of countries with restrictions are allowing spouses/ parent of immediate family to enter without any essential reason. I am more disappointed at Trudeau for making these rules for immediate family members. It’s hard to stay away from your family for long time especially if your kids are dependent.
If you want to be with your families during these crisis, this is considered optional or discretionary according to the definition. Your intention has to be staying in Canada for more than 1 year.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Here is an interesting post, and it explains the procedures of CBSA and IRCC under the Initial International Order, the following is quoted from the post,

IRCC has informally confirmed that, in general, coming to Canada to establish residence is not an optional or discretionary purpose, where the foreign national is subject to an exemption from the travel restrictions (e.g., workers, students, immediate family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, etc.). This interpretation appears to be consistent with PDIs.

Notwithstanding IRCC’s PDIs and its informal statements, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is apparently turning away immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, if their intention is not to establish their residence in Canada. If they merely intend to stay until the COVID-19 outbreak has ended, CBSA is taking the position that this is an optional or discretionary purpose.

So my interpretation before is still correct, it is going to be very hard for immediate family members who are from visa exempt countries or having visitor's visa to convince CBSA officer that the trip is essential. For those who have CoPRs, it is going to be easier.

The original post is available here:
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/a-revised-update-on-canada-s-travel-78758/

Reactions: Buletruck

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
From what I read here some say to live with your spouse for more than a year, or to work or study. I will still have my husband call CBSA since it's tricky that even if we get a letter from IRCC they can still deny entry at the border. The problem is I am also on open work permit and will still look for a job there while my daughter's school starts September but we plan on living there for more than a year with my spouse so that should be considered as essential.
Yes, calling CBSA would be helpful but they will emphasize the final decision will be at the hands of officers at POE. Immediate family members don't need authorization letters.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Yes, calling CBSA would be helpful but they will emphasize the final decision will be at the hands of officers at POE. Immediate family members don't need authorization letters.
Im confused and cautious now. My 1st attempt at boarding failed even on w-1 and s1 visa. These visas were issued prior to lockdown many months back. I have been sending emails to IRCC and then got a letter of assessment that we are exempt from the travel ban but CBSA officers are still the ones to decide at POE. So even if I have a letter from IRCC this 2nd attempt makes me think 3x if I will be denied entry at the border if I am at the mercy of the CBSA officers.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Im confused and cautious now. My 1st attempt at boarding failed even on w-1 and s1 visa. These visas were issued prior to lockdown many months back. I have been sending emails to IRCC and then got a letter of assessment that we are exempt from the travel ban but CBSA officers are still the ones to decide at POE. So even if I have a letter from IRCC this 2nd attempt makes me think 3x if I will be denied entry at the border if I am at the mercy of the CBSA officers.
I don't know what is confusing you. It is always the case that CBSA officers at POE have the final decision to allow any foreigners to enter Canada. It is like this even without this travel restriction. But I don't see any reason if you have the authorization letter from Canadian government and your travel is essential, why would CBSA officers at POE deny your entrance to Canada.

Last edited: