+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Others seem to have been able to move to Canada permanently once they have their COPR especially before a March 18th.. It is such a fluid situation keeps on changing. When are you moving?
I already moved here in July. She is planning to move once she wraps up her stuff in USA, say about 3-4 weeks. She got her COPR in January but could not move due to work commitments. Her COPR is valid until December 2020 btw.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Thank you for the information. What country do you come from and which airline did you take to Canada if you don't mind telling us.
the first flight was operated by Aeroflot, then a night layover in Frankfurt airport (no chance to leave the transit zone for a hotel, the only hotel there is MyCloud - if you choose this option, make sure you book a room a few days in advance. Even despite high rates this hotel is full these days) and the next day it was Air Canada. The first flight was full, maybe 3-4 free seats, as for Air Canada - almost empty. Before boarding Air Canada their stuff called Toronto to check the eligibilty and verify the letter of authorization with them. After that they let me enter the plane. But still even this verification does not guarantee anything. Anyway at Pearson there follows an interview with an officer who makes the final decision.

I see. Thanks! I was just trying to make sure the travel for her via land border is considered essential as I read many Americans with Canadian spouses were turned away at land borders.

I can quarantine easily as well anyway as I am wfh.
I was asked by the officer about quarantine plans. And I confirmed that my husband is also staying isolated with me for 14 days. It is a requirement that all people you are staying with during 14 days should also stay isolated with you without going to the shops or pharmacy or anything else.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
FYI, I got a letter from IRCC stating that I am authorized to travel due to family reunification even if I am on open work permit. However when I called CBSA they don't think my trip is essential since I don't have a job waiting for me in Canada, so the family reunification letter became useless after all. I heard from some that open work permit holders are complaining because IRCC modified the rules again about family reunification. If before they mentioned that open work permit holders can travel for family reunification for the health safety and well being of other family members, they basically removed that phrase and some foreign workers took notice of that. Worse part is that they didn't mention of any updates or removal in IRCC website.

Check this link, if you read this text you won't find these details on the IRCC website about family reunification.

https://ibb.co/Fn2yYQP

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
FYI, I got a letter from IRCC stating that I am authorized to travel due to family reunification even if I am on open work permit. However when I called CBSA they don't think my trip is essential since I don't have a job waiting for me in Canada, so the family reunification letter became useless after all. I heard from some that open work permit holders are complaining because IRCC modified the rules again about family reunification. If before they mentioned that open work permit holders can travel for family reunification for the health safety and well being of other family members, they basically removed that phrase and some foreign workers took notice of that. Worse part is that they didn't mention of any updates or removal in IRCC website.

Check this link, if you read this text you won't find these details on the IRCC website about family reunification.

https://ibb.co/Fn2yYQP
Thank you for the information. I think currently only immediate family members who are coming Canada to establish residence are permitted or if you have a job offer. It is very hard for those who have visitor visa or TRV to prove their trips are non-optional and non-discretionary. The judgement is given to CBSA officers at POE.

How did you get that authorization letter? According to IRCC website, immediate family members of Canadian citizens and PRs don't need written authorization letter.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
the first flight was operated by Aeroflot, then a night layover in Frankfurt airport (no chance to leave the transit zone for a hotel, the only hotel there is MyCloud - if you choose this option, make sure you book a room a few days in advance. Even despite high rates this hotel is full these days) and the next day it was Air Canada. The first flight was full, maybe 3-4 free seats, as for Air Canada - almost empty. Before boarding Air Canada their stuff called Toronto to check the eligibilty and verify the letter of authorization with them. After that they let me enter the plane. But still even this verification does not guarantee anything. Anyway at Pearson there follows an interview with an officer who makes the final decision.

I was asked by the officer about quarantine plans. And I confirmed that my husband is also staying isolated with me for 14 days. It is a requirement that all people you are staying with during 14 days should also stay isolated with you without going to the shops or pharmacy or anything else.
Thank you for your information. Where did you obtain the authorization letter? Are you using the same email for those immediate family members who are temporarily in Canada published in IRCC website?

Reuniting with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily
To board your flight to Canada, you must have written authorization from the Government of Canada to fly to Canada.

There are 2 ways to contact us to request an authorization:

1. Email IRCC at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca. We’ll contact you within 48 hours of getting your email and tell you what to do next.
  2. Contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
How did you get that authorization letter? According to IRCC website, immediate family members of Canadian citizens and PRs don't need written authorization letter.
We sent an email to the Canadian Embassy in my country. Then we received a call because they wanted to clarify the situation and asked questions. We got a letter of authorization in several days. And yes, the information given on the site that you don't need that letter - is controversial. During my travel I was asked to present the letter of authorization three times - before each flight and when landed. Without that letter the airlines may deny you from boarding.

Ggggg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
I've just managed to enter Canada being a spouse of a Canadian citizen, having a visitor visa and still waiting for PR.
Though it was written on the official government of Canada websites that immediate families of Canadian citizens do not need letters of authorization, but I can tell you for sure - get this letter if you intend to travel to Canada. This letter was checked in the city of departure, then in the city of a layover before taking the next flight to Canada and then in Canada at the arrival. Without this letter they wouldn't let me board.
How long are you staying for ? If you don’t mind my asking.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I already moved here in July. She is planning to move once she wraps up her stuff in USA, say about 3-4 weeks. She got her COPR in January but could not move due to work commitments. Her COPR is valid until December 2020 btw.
She should be able to enter Canada since she is already a PR.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Thank you for the information. I think currently only immediate family members who are coming Canada to establish residence are permitted or if you have a job offer. It is very hard for those who have visitor visa or TRV to prove their trips are non-optional and non-discretionary. The judgement is given to CBSA officers at POE.

The letter came from IRCC. I am on an open work permit, and my spouse is on a closed work permit. They said that those on trv who will work and study are exempted from the travel ban, but I requested for a letter since I was already denied boarding last April. They said travel is non-essential. There's no guarantee that I can enter Canada even with the letter since I might need to have a valid job offer. Apart from this, even with the family reunification intent stated in the letter, IRCC website removed some pertinent details regarding the family reunification.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks @smileyface19 for sharing. Found the answer I was looking for.

Family reunification
Officers should be aware that family ties will not automatically qualify the foreign national for non-optional or non-discretionary travel. Family members will be required to show that they are not travelling for a discretionary or optional purpose such as a routine family visit.
Some examples of non-discretionary or non-optional travel for the purposes of family reunification are (not an exhaustive list)
  • to take up full-time residence in Canada (this applies to prospective permanent residents as well as temporary residents who are seeking entry to Canada to live with immediate family members)
  • to care for an ill family member or a family member who is unable to care for themselves when no other arrangements can be made (the 14-day quarantine for travellers will be factored into whether the travel is discretionary)
  • for foreign national immediate family member(s) (as per the definition in the Order in Council), to spend the pandemic period with their Canadian citizen family member so they can help to ensure each other’s health, safety and well-being (This section is specifically to allow for the reunification of family members where it would be beneficial to all parties, as the reunification of family members is a key point of the Order in Council. This allows for families to be together during this difficult time.)
  • shared custody agreement across borders, as this would be complying with a court order
FYI UPON CHECKING THE WEBSITE THEY REMOVED THESE EXAMPLES SILENTLY. I can no longer find the details!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
The letter came from IRCC. I am on an open work permit, and my spouse is on a closed work permit. They said that those on trv who will work and study are exempted from the travel ban, but I requested for a letter since I was already denied boarding last April. They said travel is non-essential. There's no guarantee that I can enter Canada even with the letter since I might need to have a valid job offer. Apart from this, even with the family reunification intent stated in the letter, IRCC website removed some pertinent details regarding the family reunification.
Ok, I see. So you are not an immediate family member of Canadian citizens or PRs and you do need this authorization letter from IRCC. You should be good to come to Canada now.

Did you get the letter from the Embassy?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
The letter came from IRCC. I asked the embassy and they directed me to IRCC. I still can't come because I confirmed from CBSA border about this. Apparently even if have a letter they are the ones deciding whether it's essential or not. Me not having any job offer for them is not essential regardless of the letter I hold.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The letter came from IRCC. I asked the embassy and they directed me to IRCC. I still can't come because I confirmed from CBSA border about this. Apparently even if have a letter they are the ones deciding whether it's essential or not. Me not having any job offer for them is not essential regardless of the letter I hold.
Canada is trying to prevent more FNs from arriving into Canada unless it is necessary. Your arrival could end up spreading the virus especially because people can be asymptomatic carriers. The health system only has so much capacity so only allowing PRs, citizens and those currently able to work and attend school protects the health system as well. All you can do is keep looking for any changes in requirements.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Mayor of BC announced about family reunification today and hopefully rules will change. Frankly I don't mind being on quarantine for 14 days or more just staying at home. Police officers call and verify that after landing one goes straight home and quarantine for 14 days or there will be a penalty. Even if im asymptomatic im willing to quarantine myself. What difference does it make for a Canadian or PR holder to come home and also do the same quarantine procedures like a TFW does. A lot of TFW who are separated from their families are willing to take the risk and travel for an essential purpose and quarantine themselves. I have heard some TFW who were able to enter but that was towards the end of March, rules change so will just wait for updates.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Darn it. I am sorry to hear that!