+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
I'm a little confused with non-optional non-discretionary travel. So if it's a routine visit, I can't enter? But if i'm going there to quarantine with my husband, then the odds are higher for me to enter?

I have an eta and i can stay in Canada for 6 months. The plan is to go to Canada by end Jul/Aug. I wonder if the borders would have reopened by then. I don't think we will get our PR this year considering that my husband lives in Gatineau, Quebec. The uncertainties are causing anxiety and stress and it's going to be a year being apart from each other in June.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
I'm a little confused with non-optional non-discretionary travel. So if it's a routine visit, I can't enter? But if i'm going there to quarantine with my husband, then the odds are higher for me to enter?

I have an eta and i can stay in Canada for 6 months. The plan is to go to Canada by end Jul/Aug. I wonder if the borders would have reopened by then. I don't think we will get our PR this year considering that my husband lives in Gatineau, Quebec. The uncertainties are causing anxiety and stress and it's going to be a year being apart from each other in June.
Hey I'm in the same boat. Quebec outland spousal sponsorship in process and with TRV. Unfortunately, our travel to spend time with spouse during Covid-19 would be very unlikely qualified as essential for the time being. We'll have to be patient and see what changes in the next month or two.

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
Hey I'm in the same boat. Quebec outland spousal sponsorship in process and with TRV. Unfortunately, our travel to spend time with spouse during Covid-19 would be very unlikely qualified as essential for the time being. We'll have to be patient and see what changes in the next month or two.
it's definitely comforting to meet people who are in the same boat! yeah, thats why im confused as to what is considered essential. i mean it's pretty subjective aye. also someone posted that he/she managed to enter Canada. So like how do they decide? I wish they have a timeline for those with outland spouses to enter Canada during this period, i mean knowing the timeline will reduce the anxiety.

I noticed in your timeline that you have received AOR 2? I have not received my CSQ AOR even. I'm waiting for medical request as well.

mlei9569

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
it's definitely comforting to meet people who are in the same boat! yeah, thats why im confused as to what is considered essential. i mean it's pretty subjective aye. also someone posted that he/she managed to enter Canada. So like how do they decide? I wish they have a timeline for those with outland spouses to enter Canada during this period, i mean knowing the timeline will reduce the anxiety.

I noticed in your timeline that you have received AOR 2? I have not received my CSQ AOR even. I'm waiting for medical request as well.
I was able to speak to a CBSA officer working on the frontline, and he said we ought to interpret essential as in essential to the country in terms of survival and immediate need.

But he did mention that he could not speak for other officers, so that’s why some family members may be able to get in, and some not. Without a clear guideline, the rules are being implemented inconsistently.

I’m also waiting for my medical request! It feels like forever :(

Reactions: fruze

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
I was able to speak to a CBSA officer working on the frontline, and he said we ought to interpret essential as in essential to the country in terms of survival and immediate need.

But he did mention that he could not speak for other officers, so that’s why some family members may be able to get in, and some not. Without a clear guideline, the rules are being implemented inconsistently.

I’m also waiting for my medical request! It feels like forever :(
i see! yeah, it would be nice to have a clearer and more consistent guideline. what would i give now to quarantine together with my SO.

Reactions: mlei9569

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018

If you just want to come to Canada to stay with your spouse during the pandemic, it is NOT considered essential and will be denied. The plan should be staying in Canada "permanently" (over 1 year). If you visa can only give you 6 months of stay, you are very likely to be denied whatever you say your purpose is.

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
If you just want to come to Canada to stay with your spouse during the pandemic, it is NOT considered essential and will be denied. The plan should be staying in Canada "permanently" (over 1 year). If you visa can only give you 6 months of stay, you are very likely to be denied whatever you say your purpose is.
ah dang! thanks tho! i thought it would be possible to stay for 6 months and depending on the situation, maybe extend from inland. i really hope they will reopen some borders in August.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
ah dang! thanks tho! i thought it would be possible to stay for 6 months and depending on the situation, maybe extend from inland. i really hope they will reopen some borders in August.
I don't like this rule at all, I think spouses should stay together whenever they want at any time for any period of time. But unfortunately it is not the case at this time.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Examples of travel for a non-optional or non-discretionary purpose
The exemptions under the Orders do not apply to foreign nationals travelling for optional or discretionary purposes. The onus is on the foreign national to demonstrate the purpose of their travel.

Broad definition
Travel for optional or discretionary purposes is broadly defined in the Orders as including (but not limited to) travel for the purposes of tourism, recreation and entertainment.

Some examples of discretionary or optional travel are

• to visit family for a vacation
  • for the birth of a grandchild, nephew, niece, cousin, etc. (For the parent of a child, this may be considered non-discretionary travel; however, it will still require assessment.)
  • to spend time at a secondary residence (vacation home, hunting or fishing lodge, etc.). This includes entry for upkeep or maintenance purposes.
  • to attend the funeral of a family member (This purpose of travel would be improbable due to quarantine measures and limits to the number of attendees at funerals under provincial restrictions.)
Travel for the following purposes would be considered non-optional or non-discretionary:

• economic services and supply chains
  • critical infrastructure support
  • health (immediate medical care), safety and security
  • supporting Indigenous communities
  • transiting through Canada for non-optional or non-discretionary purposes
  • studying in Canada if already approved for a study permit on or before March 18
  • tending to family matters for non-optional or non-discretionary purposes (such as bringing supplies to elderly parents or tending to sick family members) when there is no one else available in Canada to assist
  • any other activities that are deemed non-optional or non-discretionary by the Government of Canada or based on an officer’s assessment
Family reunification
Officers should be aware that family ties will not automatically qualify the foreign national for non-optional or non-discretionary travel. Family members will be required to show that they are not travelling for a discretionary or optional purpose such as a routine family visit.

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
Examples of travel for a non-optional or non-discretionary purpose
The exemptions under the Orders do not apply to foreign nationals travelling for optional or discretionary purposes. The onus is on the foreign national to demonstrate the purpose of their travel.

Broad definition
Travel for optional or discretionary purposes is broadly defined in the Orders as including (but not limited to) travel for the purposes of tourism, recreation and entertainment.

Some examples of discretionary or optional travel are

• to visit family for a vacation
  • for the birth of a grandchild, nephew, niece, cousin, etc. (For the parent of a child, this may be considered non-discretionary travel; however, it will still require assessment.)
  • to spend time at a secondary residence (vacation home, hunting or fishing lodge, etc.). This includes entry for upkeep or maintenance purposes.
  • to attend the funeral of a family member (This purpose of travel would be improbable due to quarantine measures and limits to the number of attendees at funerals under provincial restrictions.)
Travel for the following purposes would be considered non-optional or non-discretionary:

• economic services and supply chains
  • critical infrastructure support
  • health (immediate medical care), safety and security
  • supporting Indigenous communities
  • transiting through Canada for non-optional or non-discretionary purposes
  • studying in Canada if already approved for a study permit on or before March 18
  • tending to family matters for non-optional or non-discretionary purposes (such as bringing supplies to elderly parents or tending to sick family members) when there is no one else available in Canada to assist
  • any other activities that are deemed non-optional or non-discretionary by the Government of Canada or based on an officer’s assessment
Family reunification
Officers should be aware that family ties will not automatically qualify the foreign national for non-optional or non-discretionary travel. Family members will be required to show that they are not travelling for a discretionary or optional purpose such as a routine family visit.
well it’s not exactly a routine visit? I mean we just want to be with our SOs during pandemic. owell..

fruze

Jan 28, 2020
I was reading on the website under the eligibility to enter Canada,

• to show a consular or immigration officer that you’re coming for an essential purpose, such as to live with your spouse, partner or parent
    • You’ll be refused an authorization if an officer finds that you’re travelling for an optional or non-essential purpose, such as for tourism, entertainment or recreation.

so if we show that we are going there to live with our spouse, what are the odds i wonder...