+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
specialmary said:
Is Canada good?

You pay 25%-40% for tax, to exchange:

(1) the health care system which sorta sucks (but still better than the US);
(2) good school system, which is respected worldwide;
(3) cold weather (which can theoretically and practically kill someone);
(4) cold people in cities (as they tend to ignore everyone except themselves; 20 years ago people are much more friendly and warm);
(5) clean air and safe food; and
(6) never have a chance to be super-rich.

It is your judgment.
All pretty fair assessments

1. As seen in so many press reports and even movies
2. This one of the reasons we're moving
3. Depends on where you are I guess
4. Could this be because of all the immigration and people aren't prepared to mix with other cultures and would prefer to stay with their 'own'?
5. true true
6. Could use this point with any country the world over - all depends on the individual, there are opportunities everywhere but Canada like everywhere else isn't just going to give the money out.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
specialmary said:
Is Canada good?

You pay 25%-40% for tax, to exchange:

(1) the health care system which sorta sucks (but still better than the US);
(2) good school system, which is respected worldwide;
(3) cold weather (which can theoretically and practically kill someone);
(4) cold people in cities (as they tend to ignore everyone except themselves; 20 years ago people are much more friendly and warm);
(5) clean air and safe food; and
(6) never have a chance to be super-rich.

It is your judgment.
I don't know where this myth that the health system sucks came from (hint: USA) -- but it's not true. Looked at overall, Canada is middle-of-the-pack of countries that offer universal health care, which are the countries that have the best health outcomes overall. So at worst, it is average-good.

Second, Canada doesn't have a health system, it has 13 health systems -- there are differences between each province and territory. Do these have problems? Yes, every complex system that has grown over time and offers a complex service that people depend upon but don't entirely understand, has problems. They are still pretty good.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
COPRQuestion said:
4. Could this be because of all the immigration and people aren't prepared to mix with other cultures and would prefer to stay with their 'own'?
My wife's experience is that she finds the "home grown" Canadian who was born and grew up here to be very reserved (but polite) people while she quickly made friends with people from other cultures (especially South Americans but also other South and East Asian or nearly anyone from elsewhere (including American)).

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
keesio said:
My wife's experience is that she finds the "home grown" Canadian who was born and grew up here to be very reserved (but polite) people while she quickly made friends with people from other cultures (especially South Americans but also other South and East Asian or nearly anyone from elsewhere (including American)).
Interesting you mention this, my wife is the Canadian albeit Canadian/Chinese, in comparison to myself I can find the home gown Canadian a little serious. Just an observation rather than a complaint

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
COPRQuestion said:
Interesting you mention this, my wife is the Canadian albeit Canadian/Chinese, in comparison to myself I can find the home gown Canadian a little serious. Just an observation rather than a complaint
I would call it more "reserved" than "serious". They take more time to open up to you but once they do, you can develop strong relationships.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
COPRQuestion said:
Canadians in cities tend to think about 'me', 'me', and 'me' (i.e., self-absorbed). I actually get this view from another Canada-born Caucasian Canadian. People in some countries are bad and deceiving, but Canadians in cities are not - they are just very self-absorbed.

Reactions: zoya.sharma016

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
specialmary said:
Canadians in cities tend to think about 'me', 'me', and 'me' (i.e., self-absorbed). I actually get this view from another Canada-born Caucasian Canadian. People in some countries are bad and deceiving, but Canadians in cities are not - they are just very self-absorbed.
This is very true and I would say would be an observation of most cities. I live in HK and people are very self-absorbed here. I grew up in the UK and London was also like this but in the countryside where I was raised people would always wave and say good morning. Taking my dogs for a walk I would often chat with people I didn't know.

City vrs Rural I guess

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
keesio said:
I would call it more "reserved" than "serious". They take more time to open up to you but once they do, you can develop strong relationships.
You could be right, I think my best friend will be my realtor haha

kum9999

Dec 31, 2014
torontosm said:
LOL. Just so you know, India ranks 168/228 countries in terms of GDP per capita. So, it would definitely fall into your "poor countries" definition.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=67

Canada is not just for refugees or people from poor countries. It's economy is one of the largest in the world, and continues to grow. It has produced a number of highly successful, global companies and continues to offer opportunities for all sorts of people. There are numerous examples of immigrants who have come to Canada and made fortunes.
I dont go by the GDP stats, majority of Indians are leading good life now. GDP are skewed for various reasons. There is poverty in India, because of it's huge population but it's no different in Canada or US. U see homeless, beggers and poverty in canada/usa.
Immigrant from India, unlike a refugee, is usually well settled with children going to private/international schools and has a good paying job in India . My point is it's not worth for these people to migrate to Canada.
Canada has a small job market, the salaries are very conservative with high taxes to take care of millions of refugees it accepts. Medical system although free, is not good and many get delayed care. School system is crumbling, see the schools with ratings below 7 they are so bad. Dont forget the harsh winters here...

For an immigrant from rapidly developing countries like India and china it does'nt make any economic sense coming here. For chinese it's worth it to some extent, because of democracy in Canada and lack of it in China.

Reactions: Svet81

kum9999

Dec 31, 2014
torontosm said:
Based on the grammar in your message alone, I would dispute your claim about the quality of schooling in India being superior to Canadian schools. I would also disagree with the fact that "Most Indians who come here go back as they feel India is a lot better".

Given that you are in the U.S. now, how long did you actually live in Canada? Was it enough time to form such extreme opinions?
I was here for three years, but why are you so interested in grammar :). well I dont think u have perfect grammer, communication skills does'nt mean grammer skills. I see many native english speakers are gramatically wrong and they dont care and no one cares unless u r a english professor.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kum9999 said:
I dont go by the GDP stats, majority of Indians are leading good life now.
You understand how stats work, right? If the majority of Indians are leading a good life, the GDP per capita would be higher. Unless you are asking people to ignore empirical data and blindly trust you, I don't see the point of your post.

Again, your approach may speak to the quality of education you received there.

Reactions: jammin24

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
kum9999 said:
I was here for three years, but why are you so interested in grammar :). well I dont think u have perfect grammer, communication skills does'nt mean grammer skills. I see many native english speakers are gramatically wrong and they dont care and no one cares unless u r a english professor.
The word is "doesn't" by the way. ;D

kum9999

Dec 31, 2014
torontosm said:
You understand how stats work, right? If the majority of Indians are leading a good life, the GDP per capita would be higher. Unless you are asking people to ignore empirical data and blindly trust you, I don't see the point of your post.

Again, your approach may speak to the quality of education you received there.
well.. try to know the concepts of devaluation, cost of living, supressing stats, role of counterfiet currency in these stats. So dont go by GDP stats, they mean very less and dont capture the real picture.

cost of living In India with couple of dollars you can still get unlimited food, with 10-15dollars a monthly local bus pass. yearly vehicle insurance for 200-300 dollars.
more than 90% people dont report income in India..govt's devaluate currency nd underreport for different reasons.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
kum9999 said:
can stop laughing. how silly people could be.
I would venture to suggest that having an acceptable grasp of one of Canada's two "official languages" would be a major benefit in obtaining successful employment.