+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shakti123 said:
Reasons.
2. The cost of living has gone up immensely in Canada, even if you make 100000 a year you will be probably saving less then you would have in India. You can only dream of owning your own house here, with housing costs rocketing.

It just depends. If Vancouver, housing costs indeed rocketing, but in Calgary slumping.

3. Canada is becoming more crowded, just like India. There are lot and lot of refugees and other people now here. The crime rate and everything else is almost similar to India. The roads are bad in some areas and here even highways have traffic jams.

US roads are also bad in some areas and their highways have traffic jams.

4. You will start to miss your family, life and friends back home...even if you want to you will not be able to move back because you would have bid good bye's to everone and your pride prevents you from going back for some time.. If you are fields like IT, once you are here it will be almost impossible to get a good job in India again for your experience.

You can visit them and they can visit you...

shakti123

Apr 25, 2014
You are correct but I'am not comparing with US, but actually for a person who has good job in India then no point in coming to Canada.
to compare with america, US job market is huge especially for IT people. In Canada job market is less, and pay is quite less.

You can always visit India, but can not do often as flight charges are quite high for a family. If you want to visit say twice every year or even once an year you cant do as the trip will cost a lot.

I'am just putting my perspective, after looking at predicament of lot of immigrants from India.

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
loma_linda said:
Is the migration worth it?

-R u a citizen of the country where u presently live?
-Can u get the Nationality of that country, if u r an Expatriate?
-Can u stay/reside till "eternity" in that country?
-Can u do whatever u want there, even if it's not illegal?
-Can u buy a house "in a year" in that country?
-Even if u r less qualified or underemployed, can u think of buying a house?
-Will u get pension after your haytime is past in your current country?
-R u entitled to "unemployment insurance" there?
-Can your children be called First Country Citizens there?
-Can u vote & get to elect your representative at the senate (in 4 yrs.)?
-Would u get to meet your MP - for personal matters?
-Does your child receive Free Education now (& a good one at that)?
-Do u all receive Free Healthcare in that nation (& the best too)?
-Do u like to reside in Asia rather than North Americas?
-Do u believe in equality of man & get it there?
-R u treated at par there alongwith the nationals?
-Can u still hold your head high under dire straits?
-Does the Cop call u "Sir" even while u r being ticketed?
-Can u purchase 50% of your goods there at cheaper rates than here?
-Could u buy a good used Merc in about $12000? And a fairly new one in about $22K?
-Do u get your merchandize locally made or from EU/US, rather than China?
-Can u get homegrown foodstuff (& organic too), not imported?
-Can u be least bothered about landlords increasing your rents?
-Can u be assured about Minimum Wages there?
-Can u go into Collective Bargaining with your employer?
-How about being self-employed, w/out the hassle of owenership/sponsorship?
-Do u receive about $300-500/child as Free Allowance every month?
-If u get disabled (God Forbid), can u call the Public Bus to your home doorstep?
-Can u daily bike to "whispering meadows" & live healthier?
-Does your patio open to natural greenery, all around?
-Can u come to your home basement & catch the Subway, w/out leaving the bldg?
-Can u call the world over in $30/month, unlimited?
-If u r a single lady, will u be assured of safety & opportunities by your Govt?
-Can your wife be assured of Govtl. Support if u pass away (God Forbid) uninsured?

Uhh... I could go on, but u'd be bored & awed further...

If most answers to the above is "Yes"... Then stay on in Dubai.
If 50% of them is "No"... Then Welcome to Canada!
I would beg to differ regarding Dubai. If you are well-educated and have a well-paying job in Dubai, definitely do not leave. You'll pay more taxes in Canada and not save up as much as you did back there. Migrating to Canada seems all hunky-dory until the reality of taxes and finding a job, barring a few sectors, hit home. My parents chose to never migrate for this reason.

Every single family, I know who migrated to Canada from Dubai, either ended up cancelling their PR, going back to their job in Dubai or had a spouse moving back to Dubai, visiting as needed to keep their PR status from getting cancelled. If you are beyond a certain age and already make a lot of money, it's going to be really hard to start from scratch, working as a barista with 16-20-year olds as your colleagues. You would be much happier back home. I have heard this regret from pretty much everyone who chose to immigrate after being successful for a number of years. It's easier guaranteeing an education for your kids by paying international tuition fees, at that point. You are paying for all the listed benefits via taxes. There is no free lunch for anyone.

Reactions: zoya.sharma016

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If you have good job then Canada is good otherwise it will be better in your home country. Getting good job in Canada is very difficult nowadays.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
very few job opportunities for immigrants, harsh winter, high tax, expensive housing, overpriced food and drink, homeless people everywhere, Canada is dog eat dog place, many immigrants want other from their home country comrades to come because they rely on their own community to survive and the more the merrier to suffer together, fact is most people just languish in jobs far inferior than what they got back home

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
johnr said:
Comparing America to canada is like comparing an apple (US) and prune (canada)

It just can't be compared.

Middle East is a lot better if you are a citizen or expatriate who works in a government position there.
So comparing America and Canada isn't fair, and yet you think you can compare the Middle East and Canada? LOL!

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ankurshah2003 said:
Guys...

I am living here in toronto since 4 years, never got any trouble....life in canada is really beautiful and peaceful...you just need to have open mouth

you need few friends to live with...and as time goes, you will make your own circle.
my advice in this...

absolutely Yes...who so ever is saying no ....they are still in Canada. and they dont want to go back to India...that says everything.
If you are a young person who started out getting an Undergrad or Master's degree in Canada, you will make friends and will definitely be able to adjust far better than an immigrant in their late 30s with a family and kids. I fit into the young person category and understand where you're coming from. If your entire career begins in Canada, it's not hard to start from scratch.

On the other hand, if you are well-established in your field, it's a tough call to say whether immigrating would guarantee better prospects. Most people I know have figured out they made better money back home. Essentially, it's a matter of timing.

eldeeb780

Oct 12, 2011
This what's called a cold hell, the comparison goes exactly like this:
Would you stay in your decent comfortable home country and suffer of its circumstances that affect everybody there and continue with your plans using all the connections you know to build a life?
OR
Come to Canada and work in McDonalds or Tim hortans and live a poor life facing racism and suffering of you own circumstances alone???

This country is not worth a $ to be spent or invest to come and live in it. My sincere advise to everyone is to run away!! this country is extremely racist. We will keep applying for jobs and you will try to do anything to secure food but at the end of the day all doors will shut in your face just because your not white and your name is not John or Micheal.

If you look like them you will pass otherwise if your looks is different than them you will be judged badly in everything you do.
The government wants to come as an eng. or a doctor and then tells you ohhh your qualifications are rubbish!! you can only work here as taxi diver.
Trust me Canadians HATE immigrants its shameful on them to be called an immigrant in the case of a canadian might look like an immigrant.

DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT COME TO CANADA

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
eldeeb780 said:
This what's called a cold hell, the comparison goes exactly like this:
Would you stay in your decent comfortable home country and suffer of its circumstances that affect everybody there and continue with your plans using all the connections you know to build a life?
OR
Come to Canada and work in McDonalds or Tim hortans and live a poor life facing racism and suffering of you own circumstances alone???

This country is not worth a $ to be spent or invest to come and live in it. My sincere advise to everyone is to run away!! this country is extremely racist. We will keep applying for jobs and you will try to do anything to secure food but at the end of the day all doors will shut in your face just because your not white and your name is not John or Micheal.

If you look like them you will pass otherwise if your looks is different than them you will be judged badly in everything you do.
The government wants to come as an eng. or a doctor and then tells you ohhh your qualifications are rubbish!! you can only work here as taxi diver.
Trust me Canadians HATE immigrants its shameful on them to be called an immigrant in the case of a canadian might look like an immigrant.

DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT COME TO CANADA
When are you leaving?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Actually no jobs available in Canada now. That is the reality.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
I've particularly enjoyed reading this post and would like to add my 10 cents worth.

Like the original OP I have a good job, well paid and settled. When I make the move to Canada I will have a lower paid job, this is reality for me but one I accept.

I have viewed the move more from what I gain and less from what I perceive as losing. I am also lucky in that property isn't such a challenge for me as I am able to afford a decent place in a decent area.

I think most of the options here need to be taken in isolation and with a grain of salt in most cases, everyone has their own view and also we don't know each others full background. But it's probably good advice not to move there thinking it will solve your problems - it's real life not Disney.

The original OP's brother lives in Canada and is obviously doing well or he would not encourage his sister to move.

My advice is to weigh up the pro's and con's then make a choice. For me it's simple.

I would discount some points though:

Crime Rate - Canada vrs India - India higher
Traffic - Canada vrs India - India worse
Private Schools - no comment - but would you send them to private school in India?
Canada being more crowded - When you can walk down a street without moving (like in Vancouver) I say it wins hands down on most Asian Cities

Reactions: kamy18 and qureishi

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ttrajan said:
Actually no jobs available in Canada now. That is the reality.
canada is quite large. there are jobs available in ottawa. see signs and job postings daily. it's certainly going to depend on where you look and what you look for.

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shakti123 said:
My advice, do not come to Canada, it's simply doesn't make any sense to come to Canada leaving a good job in India. If you have any issues or problems in your home country then it make's sense but from a country like India it does not make any sense.

I recently came here leaving a good job in India, I was bitten by Canadian and western life. I got a decent job here in Canada, but still I feel it's not worth it.
Reasons.

1. India has everything what you find here in Canada, the quality of life in India is equally good now. I thought the life will be different here, but it's
not lot of different.
2. The cost of living has gone up immensely in Canada, even if you make 100000 a year you will be probably saving less then you would have in
India. You can only dream of owning your own house here, with housing costs rocketing.
3. Canada is becoming more crowded, just like India. There are lot and lot of refugees and other people now here. The crime rate and everything
else is almost similar to India. The roads are bad in some areas and here even highways have traffic jams.
4. You will start to miss your family, life and friends back home...even if you want to you will not be able to move back because you would have
bid good bye's to everone and your pride prevents you from going back for some time.. If you are fields like IT, once you are here it will be
almost impossible to get a good job in India again for your experience.
5. Private and international schools in India are lot better then here, if you have kids do not leave the high quality of education back home, here the
education is free but standard is very less then India.

And if you do not get job, which is usually the case with new immigrants, you will be in tremendous misery. There are people who have left great jobs and came here and not finding a job went into depression bearing this cold climate.

My sincere advice, stay back in India if you have a govt job or a good job.... It's just not worth coming here. You can come here only if the conditions back home are bad and have no option, and from growing countries like India it's simply not worth it.
Point 1 is funny, because you don't seem to have experienced half the red tape you get around in India like getting simple stuff sorted out like your hydro bill or bank accounts. Getting your social insurance number in Canada is a 5 minute process while a similar process in India, you need to go in and out of at least 2 different offices.

Point 2 is hilarious.
I wonder what you must be smoking to assume the crime rates in any city in Canada being comparable to that in India. There are good and bad neighbourhoods in every country and city. The chances of you being murdered or robbed are far lower in Canada than a similarly sized city or town in India or the US for that matter. Corruption is also a lot less. You also come across as a racist with your comments about `other people`.

Point 3 seems like you are having a hard time adjusting and creating a new life in Canada. Not everyone else is having the same experience. I have better friends here than I did where I lived before. Even strangers are way nicer in Canada than any city in India.

Point 4 seems more like a criticism of India than Canada. If you cannot get a job in India based on your Canadian experience, how is that your Canadian employer's fault?

Point 5 is a little nuanced. There are higly ranked schools and less ranked schools. University-level though it all equalizes and teaching is a lot more effective for most programs in Canada compared to most universities in India.