+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I settle in Canada? Is it worth it?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kum9999 said:
well.. try to know the concepts of devaluation, cost of living, supressing stats, role of counterfiet currency in these stats. So dont go by GDP stats, they mean very less and dont capture the real picture.

cost of living In India with couple of dollars you can still get unlimited food, with 10-15dollars a monthly local bus pass. yearly vehicle insurance for 200-300 dollars.
more than 90% people dont report income in India..govt's devaluate currency nd underreport for different reasons.
Cost of living is important, and is reflected in the GDP per capita (Purchasing Power Parity) figures that can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

According to these numbers, India ranks 126/189, 1 below the mighty economic powerhouse Cabo Verde!

As for counterfeit currency and devaluation, I again am not sure what these have to do with anything. Unless, of course, your argument is that crime is so rampant in India that official figures are completely wrong. In which case, I'm not sure that it really would be a better place to live than Canada for most honest hardworking folks.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kum9999 said:
For countires like India, avoid Canada. Live back home is much better, unless you have no option in India do not come to Canada.
That is the root of the problem. Too many people in India do not have good opportunities. That is why they are trying so hard to immigrate.

With its low cost of living, if you can get a well paying job by western standards, then your dollar goes very far. I had a colleague who accepted an opportunity to manage one of our software groups in our Bengaluru office. Same salary + some additional perks. It was a sweet gig - He had a massive home and many servants. His wife only had one child but had two nannies. They had a cook, a driver, house cleaners and more. Cost of labor was so ridiculously cheap. Looking at it in person, it made me think that maybe I would accept such a position also.

But most locals there don't have that opportunity and with the rigid system there, probably never will have that level of opportunity. Hence the desire to immigrate. Go check out the PR section of this forum. Many people from India eventually have to go back to their home country for various reasons (the most common one seems to be to take care of a sick parent). They end up violating their RO and have issues coming back. And they really want to come back to Canada, looking for any way to get in without being reported. Given what you have said about India today, you'd think that they'd looked around and go "My life is better in India than Canada" and not worry about going back. But that is definitely not the case.

I have another colleague here in Toronto who used to go to India to visit relatives. He said he is done going back - too much hassle. Every other relative asks him to sponsor them, even though he repeatedly explains that he cannot legally sponsor them. Then they ask him to go start some private company and hire them as foreign workers. They live middle class lives there but are looking for any opportunity to leave.

So, like in all places, if you are in the right position, any country can look great. But if you look at the number of applicants from each country looking to immigrate to Canada, you will notice some trends. There is a reason why the numbers are what they are.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
keesio said:
That is the root of the problem. Too many people in India do not have good opportunities. That is why they are trying so hard to immigrate.

With its low cost of living, if you can get a well paying job by western standards, then your dollar goes very far. I had a colleague who accepted an opportunity to manage one of our software groups in our Bengaluru office. Same salary + some additional perks. It was a sweet gig - He had a massive home and many servants. His wife only had one child but had two nannies. They had a cook, a driver, house cleaners and more. Cost of labor was so ridiculously cheap. Looking at it in person, it made me think that maybe I would accept such a position also.

But most locals there don't have that opportunity and with the rigid system there, probably never will have that level of opportunity. Hence the desire to immigrate. Go check out the PR section of this forum. Many people from India eventually have to go back to their home country for various reasons (the most common one seems to be to take care of a sick parent). They end up violating their RO and have issues coming back. And they really want to come back to Canada, looking for any way to get in without being reported. Given what you have said about India today, you'd think that they'd looked around and go "My life is better in India than Canada" and not worry about going back. But that is definitely not the case.

I have another colleague here in Toronto who used to go to India to visit relatives. He said he is done going back - too much hassle. Every other relative asks him to sponsor them, even though he repeatedly explains that he cannot legally sponsor them. Then they ask him to go start some private company and hire them as foreign workers. They live middle class lives there but are looking for any opportunity to leave.

So, like in all places, if you are in the right position, any country can look great. But if you look at the number of applicants from each country looking to immigrate to Canada, you will notice some trends. There is a reason why the numbers are what they are.
When you live in a place like that, you become much more aware of things that we take for granted -- like growing up in a country where people tend to be pretty equal. My life would be more comfortable back in Thailand, but the society is pernicious.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
specialmary said:
Canadians in cities tend to think about 'me', 'me', and 'me' (i.e., self-absorbed). I actually get this view from another Canada-born Caucasian Canadian. People in some countries are bad and deceiving, but Canadians in cities are not - they are just very self-absorbed.
I strongly agree to this, and I would like to add that some people here are not sincere on what they say to you.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
pie_vancouver said:
I strongly agree to this, and I would like to add that some people here are not sincere on what they say to you.
No different from any other first world country. I have lived in several. Same issues everywhere with that.

My experience is that you get what you give. But you will have to give first... Just saying.

I love Canada btw. Love the people. Love the social nature of our legal system and society. People generally care more here about each other than they do anywhere else. Eg. Nova Scotia has a population of less than 1 mill but over 9000 registered charities.

Yes I agree social interaction is sometimes complicated and challenging. It can be hard to truly socially integrate into society here. However. As I said. You get what you give, pretty much.

Good luck

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
NetMecca said:
No different from any other first world country. I have lived in several. Same issues everywhere with that.

My experience is that you get what you give. But you will have to give first... Just saying.

I love Canada btw. Love the people. Love the social nature of our legal system and society. People generally care more here about each other than they do anywhere else. Eg. Nova Scotia has a population of less than 1 mill but over 9000 registered charities.

Yes I agree social interaction is sometimes complicated and challenging. It can be hard to truly socially integrate into society here. However. As I said. You get what you give, pretty much.

Good luck
I agree 100% with this, if you want to take out then you have to put in. No one said that immigrating would be easy.

As I've said in another post I believe a lot of people to be suffering from Dick Whittington syndrome or to put it another way think the 'grass is greener'

It's not, it's a like any relationship, you have to work hard at it to make it work

kum9999

Dec 31, 2014
To end this all, here's the bottom line based on my and some of friends experience.

--> If you are doing good in India have a good job making more then 10-12 lakhs in India (only these people qualify for skilled migration), do not think of coming to Canada. It's not worth it.

reasons
* The private school system in India is much better then Canada public schooling. Your kid will be learning 2 grades less here.
* There is no waiting time for private medical facilities in India and there is world class care, here there is huge waiting time for some of
the treatments. Dental/vision is too costly.
* There are malls, pubs, eateries and all entertainment in India, similar to here or better than here.
* Canada job market is traditional and not very huge, even if you get a job (which is tough), you will save less then in India due to cost
of living and the money you make and takes you pay.

Try immigrating here.
---> If you have security/other issues in India (or any other country) or not making enough money or do not have a stable job, try for immigration here. You will be satisfied than your home country otherwise you will not like.
---> Have loads of money back and just want to enjoy life going around Canada/US spending money.

kum9999

Dec 31, 2014
torontosm said:
Cost of living is important, and is reflected in the GDP per capita (Purchasing Power Parity) figures that can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

According to these numbers, India ranks 126/189, 1 below the mighty economic powerhouse Cabo Verde!

As for counterfeit currency and devaluation, I again am not sure what these have to do with anything. Unless, of course, your argument is that crime is so rampant in India that official figures are completely wrong. In which case, I'm not sure that it really would be a better place to live than Canada for most honest hardworking folks.
GDP figures are not a indicator for anything. If you work in mc donalds you will make about 2000 dollars, with 2000 dollars you live like a begger here, but in India with 2000 dollar you can have lavish life. So per capita GDP is not an indicator of living.

I do not want to go further in this disussion, as it's about immigration and not to decide greatness/richness of India.

Reactions: Svet81

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kum9999 said:
GDP figures are not a indicator for anything. If you work in mc donalds you will make about 2000 dollars, with 2000 dollars you live like a begger here, but in India with 2000 dollar you can have lavish life. So per capita GDP is not an indicator of living.

I do not want to go further in this disussion, as it's about immigration and not to decide greatness/richness of India.
The GDP adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity (the last link I posted) accounts for the cost of living. So, it is indeed a very good indicator as it would reflect the lifestyle you could afford with the average income.

Regardless, your point about the subject of this thread is taken, and this is my last post on this topic.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Maybe the "Where to be born" index puts it into perspective?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you work in mc donalds you will make about 2000 dollars, with 2000 dollars you live like a begger here, but in India with 2000 dollar you can have lavish life.
And where in India can anyone make $2K/month working at a fast food outlet? That sort of logic is ridiculous! The average wage in India is $5.27/day based on Indian government statistics in 2014 or about $114/month. Based on your $2/day for food, $200/month for insurance and probably $100/month for accommodations you're in the hole with just accommodations and food is a luxury, that's not a particularly stellar lifestyle for the average person........

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
kum9999 said:
To end this all, here's the bottom line based on my and some of friends experience.

--> If you are doing good in India have a good job making more then 10-12 lakhs in India (only these people qualify for skilled migration), do not think of coming to Canada. It's not worth it.

reasons
* The private school system in India is much better then Canada public schooling. Your kid will be learning 2 grades less here.
* There is no waiting time for private medical facilities in India and there is world class care, here there is huge waiting time for some of
* There are malls, pubs, eateries and all entertainment in India, similar to here or better than here.
* Canada job market is traditional and not very huge, even if you get a job (which is tough), you will save less then in India due to cost

Try immigrating here.
---> If you have security/other issues in India (or any other country) or not making enough money or do not have a stable job, try for immigration here. You will be satisfied than your home country otherwise you will not like.
---> Have loads of money back and just want to enjoy life going around Canada/US spending money.
The ironic thing is that if you are doing poorly in India and want to immigrate, Canada will not accept you either in their express entry system. So, those who immigrate are usually those who are doing well in their own countries.

Reactions: Svet81

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
So finally what is the conclusion?

Aspiring CA

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We all want to be successful in different aspects in our lives. I came from a 3rd world country, Philippines, but life back home is so comfortable. My family has businesses, i am the youngest and i am being pampered. Good thing is, my parents raised us to be independent and instilled good values. I left my comfort zone and came here in Dubai in 2011, here i experienced eating only one full meal a day, the rest of the day only water, biscuits, and chai (milk tea) because cost of living is high and you have to budget the salary you are getting. Just like you have mentioned, there are also people who takes advantage and self-absorbed, locals, other nationalities and worse my own countrymen. Despite the hardship, there are still people who are kind and have a good heart. I don't regret all these hardships, it's a self-fulfillment for me to experience these things to be wiser, more flexible and more compassionate to smaller people. My journey doesn't end here, I am taking these lessons with me when i go to Canada.

So guys, whichever country we came from, wherever destination we will go, there are these pros and cons. There's no easy way to success. If you are afraid to leave your comfort zone, then you better stay home. If you want to take the risk, and in case you fail, stand up, learn your lesson and try again. It's just a matter of reminding yourself why you started it after all.

Above all, pray for guidance....always :D

Reactions: qureishi

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kum9999 said:
reasons
1 & 2) It doesn't make sense to compare private vs public. The only valid comparison is public vs public. If you want to say that India has cheap private services that Canadians don't have access to, then that is fair.