Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello guys! I just received the below email from Scar office:

This letter is in reference to your application for Canadian Citizenship and is further to your correspondence received at our office.

Our records indicate that you require a hearing with a citizenship officer; as such regular processing times no longer apply.

Please note that due to the current measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19) IRCC is not scheduling in person appointments at this time. Once hearings resume you will be notified with a date and time to appear.
Nightmare never ends.
This is as good saying "No citizenship for you". vow... cic is an unbelievable organization in canada. :rolleyes: :oops:

If this cant be done online means is it with citizenship judge? but oath is done by citizenship judge i think. So not sure why hearing is different.

How did you get this email? did you enquire about application status or they just sent you the email out of nowhere?
Thinking they should not send me such email just because i am asking status(even sent 2 days back) ;)

roq

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
I moved within Toronto during 1st week of July and immediately updated my address in ECAS system. As I didn't see any changes in my ECAS, I submitted a WebForm to update my address after 2 weeks. It's been 2 weeks after submitting WebForm and address hasn't been updated. Anyone recently updated their address ?

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary
Nightmare never ends.
This is as good saying "No citizenship for you". vow... cic is an unbelievable organization in canada. :rolleyes: :oops:

If this cant be done online means is it with citizenship judge? but oath is done by citizenship judge i think. So not sure why hearing is different.

How did you get this email? did you enquire about application status or they just sent you the email out of nowhere?
Thinking they should not send me such email just because i am asking status(even sent 2 days back) ;)
I received it out of nowhere :) I hope it was sent in error as my application is pretty much straight forward.

• Wow
Reactions: harirajmohan

Horizon2015

Aug 2, 2021
Yes, its normal. Citizenship test and BG checks are different eligibility components. There is nothing abnormal about BG checks being In Progress after you take the test. If your BG is in progress, then it means either your criminality checks (RCMP) or your Security Checks (CSIS) or both are pending.
thanks. they had received RCMP but do not know other part. Do you have any idea how long it takes CSIS to be done? Or an average for other applicants? I did notice that that for October applicants, they have done with background check?

I appreciate for your time and input.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I received it out of nowhere :) I hope it was sent in error as my application is pretty much straight forward.
hmm.. Seems they call it hearing even if its with citizenship officer. I am hoping that its not complicated than retest to avoid any other major reason(which is of more headache than retest)
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=787&top=5
"What if I cannot attend my hearing with a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge? Can I reschedule it?"

Not trying to scare even though i am scared in the word "Hearings" :oops: ;) but try to educate yourself in the mean time to see anything applicable to you:
List of possible reasons for hearing:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html
"Applicants can be asked to appear in person during the citizenship application process. “Interviews” are meetings that will not necessarily result in a final outcome, whereas a “hearing” will generally result in a final outcome."

Reactions: vaishnavgowni

nv0411

Dec 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Dec 2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05 Dec 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
10 Mar 2017
VISA ISSUED...
24 Mar 2017
Hello guys! I just received the below email from Scar office:

This letter is in reference to your application for Canadian Citizenship and is further to your correspondence received at our office.

Our records indicate that you require a hearing with a citizenship officer; as such regular processing times no longer apply.

Please note that due to the current measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19) IRCC is not scheduling in person appointments at this time. Once hearings resume you will be notified with a date and time to appear.
I don't think you need to worry. I remember someone on an FB group for the citizenship test getting such a request. The "hearing" was actually an interview to validate passport stamps et al. I'm assuming it is the same for you, unless you've done some misrepresentation in your citizenship application (which I assume you haven't).. SO sit tight - i think it took 2-3 weeks for an interview to be scheduled.

Reactions: vaishnavgowni

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I haven't received an oath notification or an email yet so I called IRCC. The agent looked into my file and confirmed I've been scheduled for oath on 23rd August (as the officer told me a couple of days ago) and she said that I might receive an update/email in 24 hours. She also said if I don't receive anything, its okay, I should wait until 7 days before the oath date and if I still haven't received anything, she asked me to call back.

I'm going to sit tight and see how this plays out.
Looks like a big congratulations is in order.

Regarding Being Scheduled for a Hearing:

is a 'hearing' with a citizenship officer different from a citizenship interview? I have heard that some people get an interview with an Officer, even after they passed their test. Why is that?
Interview isn't called a hearing generally but could be the case.
There is a difference between the quality assurance and documents check "interview," and appearing in person for a "hearing" or "interview" with a Citizenship Officer.

The quality assurance and documents check "interview" is standard practice EXCEPT it seems to have been not required for many applicants scheduled for a virtual knowledge of Canada test. This "interview" is ordinarily done with a citizenship processing agent, not necessarily and not usually a Citizenship Officer (who is in many respects acting in a more or less Minister's delegate role). While it is difficult to forecast the post-covid world (recently noticed, for example, that the U.S. state of California passed legislation permanently moving most traffic court proceedings to virtual mode), best guess is that the quality assurance and documents check "interview," which most people refer to as THE interview, will be resumed for all applicants.

Otherwise, the terms used in reference to in-person hearings or meetings with a Citizenship Officer vary, including some references to it as an "interview," largely because (as best I understand these things) the format of the "hearing" is more or less an interview.

I realize that @vaishnavgowni reports no known reason for being required to attend a meeting or hearing with a Citizenship Officer, but generally it is the applicant who is most likely to know why there is a concern or question which would lead to a hearing. After all, the applicant knows ALL of the relevant information.

The reason why a hearing might be required will, of course, relate to the specific qualifications for citizenship, and could be in reference to any one of them, including:
-- physical presence
-- knowledge of Canada
-- ability in an official language
-- prohibitions (including criminality or security issues)
-- misrepresentation

If there are questions about any of these that, almost always, would be known to the applicant and also, typically, involve some action in the case BEFORE being scheduled for a hearing. Any physical presence issue, for example, would almost always involve some RQ-related non-routine processing including requests for additional information or documents. Knowledge of Canada issue is not likely for an applicant who has taken and passed the knowledge of Canada test. Ability in an official language is verified in the knowledge of Canada test and if necessary an interview, but most indications are that this is currently (covid-measures) being done virtually. If the applicant has any prohibitions, that will almost certainly be known to the applicant, and here too it seems more likely there would have been some communication about whatever information was triggering this issue. We rarely see reports about how IRCC approaches cases in which misrepresentation is suspected, so I do not know how these issues are handled, but here too the applicant should easily know whether there is any reason at all for IRCC to suspect misrepresentation.

My sense is that obtaining records through the ATIP process is NOT likely to illuminate much, not much that the applicant does not already know.
Unless the applicant is aware of cause otherwise, there probably is still some reason to doubt whether the case is actually headed for a hearing. There does appear to be a bit of jumbled processing going on, which can be anticipated given the ongoing covid-related disruptions. So it probably comes down to waiting for IRCC to communicate.

NOTE: the "why" does not limit the scope of the hearing or interview.

What triggers the hearing does not limit its scope. That is, the reason why IRCC requires the applicant to attend a hearing does NOT define the subject or scope of the hearing. In particular, if there is a hearing with a Citizenship Officer, ALL of the qualifications for citizenship can be on the agenda.

The notice for a hearing is likely to be broad in its terms. However, if there is a specific matter for which IRCC has reason to suspect misrepresentation or a prohibition, or some facts contrary to what the applicant has presented, there should be relatively specific communication about that, the procedural fairness notice. Thus, for example, if the reason for the hearing is that IRCC has information about a security or criminality related reason for a prohibition, some specifics about this needs to be communicated to the applicant to give the applicant an opportunity to respond. Likewise as to any alleged misrepresentation.

BUT THAT said, BEWARE that if there is actually a hearing scheduled, the notice will likely otherwise just refer to the qualifications for citizenship in general terms and indeed, the applicant can be asked about and tested in regards to any of the qualifications. Thus, for example, EVEN if the applicant has already passed a written or virtual knowledge of Canada test, the Citizenship Officer can still test the applicant for knowledge of Canada, and test the applicant's ability in an official language. The Federal Court has specifically upheld, against procedural fairness challenges, the denial of citizenship to applicants called for a hearing on this or that particular grounds, BUT denied citizenship because they failed the officer's administration of the knowledge of Canada test . . . again, even though the applicant has already passed a written test and notice for the hearing did not say that the applicant would be again tested for knowledge of Canada. The court ruling that the general notice as to citizenship qualifications was sufficient to put the applicant on notice that knowledge of Canada or ability in an official language could be tested in the hearing (and remember, the applicant must meet the eligibility requirements from the day the application is made all the way until the oath is taken).

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary

There is a difference between the quality assurance and documents check "interview," and appearing in person for a "hearing" or "interview" with a Citizenship Officer.

The quality assurance and documents check "interview" is standard practice EXCEPT it seems to have been not required for many applicants scheduled for a virtual knowledge of Canada test. This "interview" is ordinarily done with a citizenship processing agent, not necessarily and not usually a Citizenship Officer (who is in many respects acting in a more or less Minister's delegate role). While it is difficult to forecast the post-covid world (recently noticed, for example, that the U.S. state of California passed legislation permanently moving most traffic court proceedings to virtual mode), best guess is that the quality assurance and documents check "interview," which most people refer to as THE interview, will be resumed for all applicants.

Otherwise, the terms used in reference to in-person hearings or meetings with a Citizenship Officer vary, including some references to it as an "interview," largely because (as best I understand these things) the format of the "hearing" is more or less an interview.

I realize that @vaishnavgowni reports no known reason for being required to attend a meeting or hearing with a Citizenship Officer, but generally it is the applicant who is most likely to know why there is a concern or question which would lead to a hearing. After all, the applicant knows ALL of the relevant information.

The reason why a hearing might be required will, of course, relate to the specific qualifications for citizenship, and could be in reference to any one of them, including:
-- physical presence
-- knowledge of Canada
-- misrepresentation

If there are questions about any of these that, almost always, would be known to the applicant and also, typically, involve some action in the case BEFORE being scheduled for a hearing. Any physical presence issue, for example, would almost always involve some RQ-related non-routine processing including requests for additional information or documents. Knowledge of Canada issue is not likely for an applicant who has taken and passed the knowledge of Canada test. Ability in an official language is verified in the knowledge of Canada test and if necessary an interview, but most indications are that this is currently (covid-measures) being done virtually. If the applicant has any prohibitions, that will almost certainly be known to the applicant, and here too it seems more likely there would have been some communication about whatever information was triggering this issue. We rarely see reports about how IRCC approaches cases in which misrepresentation is suspected, so I do not know how these issues are handled, but here too the applicant should easily know whether there is any reason at all for IRCC to suspect misrepresentation.

My sense is that obtaining records through the ATIP process is NOT likely to illuminate much, not much that the applicant does not already know.
Unless the applicant is aware of cause otherwise, there probably is still some reason to doubt whether the case is actually headed for a hearing. There does appear to be a bit of jumbled processing going on, which can be anticipated given the ongoing covid-related disruptions. So it probably comes down to waiting for IRCC to communicate.

What triggers the hearing does not limit its scope. That is, the reason why IRCC requires the applicant to attend a hearing does NOT define the subject or scope of the hearing. In particular, if there is a hearing with a Citizenship Officer, ALL of the qualifications for citizenship can be on the agenda.

The notice for a hearing is likely to be broad in its terms. However, if there is a specific matter for which IRCC has reason to suspect misrepresentation or a prohibition, or some facts contrary to what the applicant has presented, there should be relatively specific communication about that, the procedural fairness notice. Thus, for example, if the reason for the hearing is that IRCC has information about a security or criminality related reason for a prohibition, some specifics about this needs to be communicated to the applicant to give the applicant an opportunity to respond. Likewise as to any alleged misrepresentation.

BUT THAT said, BEWARE that if there is actually a hearing scheduled, the notice will likely otherwise just refer to the qualifications for citizenship in general terms and indeed, the applicant can be asked about and tested in regards to any of the qualifications. Thus, for example, EVEN if the applicant has already passed a written or virtual knowledge of Canada test, the Citizenship Officer can still test the applicant for knowledge of Canada, and test the applicant's ability in an official language. The Federal Court has specifically upheld, against procedural fairness challenges, the denial of citizenship to applicants called for a hearing on this or that particular grounds, BUT denied citizenship because they failed the officer's administration of the knowledge of Canada test . . . again, even though the applicant has already passed a written test and notice for the hearing did not say that the applicant would be again tested for knowledge of Canada. The court ruling that the general notice as to citizenship qualifications was sufficient to put the applicant on notice that knowledge of Canada or ability in an official language could be tested in the hearing (and remember, the applicant must meet the eligibility requirements from the day the application is made all the way until the oath is taken).
Thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. I could only think about my trips to USA (wife used to live in the States before marriage; I used to visit her every other month).
I just got off the call with IRCC, Agent just confirmed the email and she did not provide any other updates.

• Wow
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Thank you!

-- physical presence
-- knowledge of Canada
-- misrepresentation

Okay, thanks. Since the OP reported that the application is pretty straight-forward, the OP might likely have received it in error. We'll wait until we know more. There is a separate section in GCMS notes called "Hearing" and if the OP was actually scheduled for a hearing, that section will have some information.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. I could only think about my trips to USA (wife used to live in the States before marriage; I used to visit her every other month).
I just got off the call with IRCC, Agent just confirmed the email and she did not provide any other updates.
So possibly this is in the notes of your application. Apply for the notes today.

Nevine.Kassem

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
I applied for the GCMS notes on June the 30th. Haven't heard anything since then. My application is still stuck at Test completed since June 26th.

• Angry
Reactions: varlam

popek90

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
Hey all, I have a question as I will be travelling out of Canada for about a month, and I am wondering what happens if I get the oath invite then.
I've read that some of you received phone calls, but I will not have my sim card on, so I would not even know that they called. I hope they will be sending emails.

If they send me an email, will I be able to reschedule easily?
And do you know how many days/weeks ahead they send the invite?

Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey all, I have a question as I will be travelling out of Canada for about a month, and I am wondering what happens if I get the oath invite then.
I've read that some of you received phone calls, but I will not have my sim card on, so I would not even know that they called. I hope they will be sending emails.

If they send me an email, will I be able to reschedule easily?
And do you know how many days/weeks ahead they send the invite?

Thanks!
If you are outside Canada and if you receive an oath invite email, follow the instructions on the IRCC website. You'll receive an email about a week or two before oath.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.