+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys! I just received the below email from Scar office:

This letter is in reference to your application for Canadian Citizenship and is further to your correspondence received at our office.

Our records indicate that you require a hearing with a citizenship officer; as such regular processing times no longer apply.

Please note that due to the current measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19) IRCC is not scheduling in person appointments at this time. Once hearings resume you will be notified with a date and time to appear.
WTH? What hearing? Were you notified earlier that you might need a hearing from an officer?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I haven't received an oath notification or an email yet so I called IRCC. The agent looked into my file and confirmed I've been scheduled for oath on 23rd August (as the officer told me a couple of days ago) and she said that I might receive an update/email in 24 hours. She also said if I don't receive anything, its okay, I should wait until 7 days before the oath date and if I still haven't received anything, she asked me to call back.

I'm going to sit tight and see how this plays out.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
No communication after passing the test. This is what I received today :)

Looks like it would be a long wait.
Wait a second. Your test => Is it set to "Completed" on the dashboard? "Hearing" they mentioned in the email might be in reference to a "Re-test" that is usually done orally OR they might have sent the response meant for someone else to you. There are these possibilities.

You have applied with more than enough days (1381) and you haven't received a RQ so a hearing is very unusual in this circumstance.

Call them and ask WTH is going on and why there is a hearing scheduled. I would also recommend ordering GCMS notes to see if you see anything about a hearing scheduled for you.

This is likely a mistake on the part of IRCC who responded but we never know until we get more information and see it for ourselves (in GCMS notes).

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary
Wait a second. Your test => Is it set to "Completed" on the dashboard? "Hearing" they mentioned in the email might be in reference to a "Re-test" that is usually done orally OR they might have sent the response meant for someone else to you. There are these possibilities.

You have applied with more than enough days (1381) and you haven't received a RQ so a hearing is very unusual in this circumstance.

Call them and ask WTH is going on and why there is a hearing scheduled. I would also recommend ordering GCMS notes to see if you see anything about a hearing scheduled for you.

This is likely a mistake on the part of IRCC who responded but we never know until we get more information and see it for ourselves (in GCMS notes).
Thanks Raj, I will request the GCMS notes. Test has been set to completed on July 14 on the dashboard (18/20).

I am trying to get a hold of them.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys! I just received the below email from Scar office:

This letter is in reference to your application for Canadian Citizenship and is further to your correspondence received at our office.

Our records indicate that you require a hearing with a citizenship officer; as such regular processing times no longer apply.

Please note that due to the current measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19) IRCC is not scheduling in person appointments at this time. Once hearings resume you will be notified with a date and time to appear.
WTH? What hearing? Were you notified earlier that you might need a hearing from an officer?

I would also request @dpenabill to chime in, if possible and share some thoughts about this "hearing".

Reactions: vaishnavgowni

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
Hi Raj
Guys, something unbelievable just happened!

I just got a call from Mississauga IRCC office a few minutes back and I was told they approved my application based on my urgent processing request and I am being scheduled for oath on August 23rd. She said I'll receive an email in 2 business days!

Update :

So, looks like IRCC employees are hard at work after business hours. I got the call at 8:25 PM which isn't standard business hours. Looks like IRCC is trying to speed up and move applications to decrease backlog.
Hi Raj,

I missed a call today as well from one number. My spouse's test status updated to completed today so I suspect that call would be from IRCC. I am unable to send you a message. Can you please let me know how can I contact you?
Thanks.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
YEAH, is a 'hearing' with a citizenship officer different from a citizenship interview? I have heard that some people get an interview with an Officer, even after they passed their test. Why is that?
Interview isn't called a hearing generally but could be the case. The OP's post also said " Once hearings resume you will be notified with a date and time to appear. " But you could be right, just that the terminology "hearing" is out of place.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Raj

Hi Raj,

I missed a call today as well from one number. My spouse's test status updated to completed today so I suspect that call would be from IRCC. I am unable to send you a message. Can you please let me know how can I contact you?
Thanks.
You should be able to send me a DM, there are a lot of forum members that send me DM.

This time, I'll initiate a DM and we can discuss there.

Reactions: Vigilant

MoreTokens123

Aug 4, 2021
Why do some people have to interview with a Citizenship officer - AFTER - they have passed the test? Not in reference to a re-test.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I am trying to locate the said, "spreadsheet". Can some one guide me? I want to see the processing trend.

Secondly, my test shown completed after the test but background and all other are shown still in progress? Can some one guide me if its normal? I mean even background is still "in progress".

Thanks.
Can someone answer please?
Yes, its normal. Citizenship test and BG checks are different eligibility components. There is nothing abnormal about BG checks being In Progress after you take the test. If your BG is in progress, then it means either your criminality checks (RCMP) or your Security Checks (CSIS) or both are pending.

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
Hi Raj
Guys, something unbelievable just happened!

I just got a call from Mississauga IRCC office a few minutes back and I was told they approved my application based on my urgent processing request and I am being scheduled for oath on August 23rd. She said I'll receive an email in 2 business days!

Update :

So, looks like IRCC employees are hard at work after business hours. I got the call at 8:25 PM which isn't standard business hours. Looks like IRCC is trying to speed up and move applications to decrease backlog.
Hi Raj,

Thanks.
You should be able to send me a DM, there are a lot of forum members that send me DM.

This time, I'll initiate a DM and we can discuss there.
Thank you Raj..

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Why do some people have to interview with a Citizenship officer - AFTER - they have passed the test? Not in reference to a re-test.
Interview is not the same as a re-test.

Interview is to basically check the passport for physical presence and verify IDs and other documents the applicant may have submitted along with the application. Lately, IRCC has drastically reduced the number of interviews. Earlier this year and back in 2020, every third applicant was receiving an interview request. Now, instead of an interview, IRCC is asking for passport pages. Note that interviews are still a possibility now, it is just not as common as it used to be.