+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated from wife but no divorce. CIC asked for divorce certificate. What should I do?

Powerpuff_28

Aug 23, 2017
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding my divorce.
I divorced more then 5 years ago (it was 1.5 year marriage, no children). Since, I have no contact with my ex husband, all I know is that he is married now.
I attached my divorce certificate and its translation, it was gone well so far and cic do not need any additional documents.
The question is: will cic check on my ex spouse for some reason? Or cic will treat him as he has never been to my life since we were divorced for so long?
Hi.. so did u get a PPR yet? I have a friend who needs assistance in this case, he needs to understand that if there any imoact on PR application on being divorcee status? He got divorced like 2years back, so he just needs to submit divorce papers.. right?

MISSL12

Star Member
May 2, 2018
AOR Received.
21-06-2018
Hi.. so did u get a PPR yet? I have a friend who needs assistance in this case, he needs to understand that if there any imoact on PR application on being divorcee status? He got divorced like 2years back, so he just needs to submit divorce papers.. right?
Hello, not yet. Actually, I applied for Study Visa 1 year after divorce and PGWP after I graduated. All my documents have a "divorced" status.
I am not sure how does divorce papers look in other countries. Your friend needs to proof that his divorce was completed. I submitted my divorce certificate (original and certified translation), so see what happens-)

khazan

Jun 28, 2018
Yes, you need to submit a divorce certificate so that the CIC officer can finalize your file. My friend was asked of this and she was separate from her husband but not divorced, so she had to go get a divorce first before she was granted PR (I think her husband was not PR, which is why divorce was necessary to complete her file; otherwise, she would have to wait for husband's file to reach the same stage as her given that they were technically one family unit.). So if you have the papers, just submit it and it won't have a negative impact on your file, unless your case has some peculiarity.

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
Guys,

I have already written on this thread that I have been going through a Divorce in India and sadly it is not moving as swiftly as I would like. I was very much scared if this will affect my PR application.

But guess what.. I have got my PPR. Hence, having your divorce underway and NOT having a Divorce decree while applying for PR, does not affect your application.

Along with my eAPR, I did sumit Seperation Affidavit stating that I am unable to submit my Ex's Medical and PCC and that I never intend to reconcile with her, nor willing to take her to Canada. I did not wait for CIC to come back to me with questions.

Luckily, they did not ask anything more on my marital status issue.

I wish you all the best.

Mathan

shaily829

Jun 14, 2018
Canada
Is it a red flag to cic if there had been a previous marriage, separated and in less than 1 year entered into conjugal relationship?

Kingharshal

Jun 10, 2017
Hi,
Congrats on getting your PPR. I had few questions about your submission.
1. What marital status did you choose while filling the form?
2. Did you submit any paperwork to show that Divorce was initiated or in the process?
3. Did you only submit a Affidavit of separation like shown on this thread by jonnclk22 on Page 1?

Thank you for sharing your experience and helping out others in a similar situation. :)

Guys,

I have already written on this thread that I have been going through a Divorce in India and sadly it is not moving as swiftly as I would like. I was very much scared if this will affect my PR application.

But guess what.. I have got my PPR. Hence, having your divorce underway and NOT having a Divorce decree while applying for PR, does not affect your application.

Along with my eAPR, I did sumit Seperation Affidavit stating that I am unable to submit my Ex's Medical and PCC and that I never intend to reconcile with her, nor willing to take her to Canada. I did not wait for CIC to come back to me with questions.

Luckily, they did not ask anything more on my marital status issue.

I wish you all the best.

Mathan

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
Hi,
Congrats on getting your PPR. I had few questions about your submission.
1. What marital status did you choose while filling the form?
2. Did you submit any paperwork to show that Divorce was initiated or in the process?
3. Did you only submit a Affidavit of separation like shown on this thread by jonnclk22 on Page 1?

Thank you for sharing your experience and helping out others in a similar situation. :)
1. What marital status did you choose while filling the form? - I applied as Legally Separated.
2. Did you submit any paperwork to show that Divorce was initiated or in the process? - Yes. We need to submit a copy of our Court case filing.
3. Did you only submit a Affidavit of separation like shown on this thread by jonnclk22 on Page 1? - I did submit a Separation Affidavit. If your question is about the template, then I did not use the one suggested by John. I used a pretty simple one which I myself wrote and got it notarized.

Reactions: Zahra CA

Superman89

Mar 20, 2018
Hello Team, I got my notes however I was a bit concerned. As I have got review required on stat question and pcc( visa refusal partner Australia + pcc for Mauritius) stat question was marked as yes and pcc supplied. Ip1 stage.
My question is on the notes under composition it is stated : marriage certificate is on file, spouse is accompanying pa-indication of previous relationship document not on file.
This is what is written under composition tab, however doesn't mention anywhere review required. It's onky for stat question and pcc. So now that I have crossed five months mark. Do I upload the divorce certificates with loe or not required unless they ask? Because from noted I wasn't sure if they are asking or it's onky for review require we are supposed to provide notes. And by providing this divorce certificate wud it complicate things now since its over five months.. And adr was not requested so far. My visa office is Sydney Australia confirmed.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2018
My husband wants to migrate to Canada. But we have just filed the petition in the court. We can obtain decree in the month of may end. So my husband is asking me to undergo medical and police verification for the visa process. I am worried if I undergo Everything and he goes back to Canada my life will be in trouble till he comes back. So what can i do kindly help me out

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband wants to migrate to Canada. But we have just filed the petition in the court. We can obtain decree in the month of may end. So my husband is asking me to undergo medical and police verification for the visa process. I am worried if I undergo Everything and he goes back to Canada my life will be in trouble till he comes back. So what can i do kindly help me out
Your husband can provide evidence that the petition has been filed in court and request that you be removed from the application. Then you won't have to undergo the medical or police verification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what is the procedure that I should follow to see he doesn't go out of India before we getting divorce decree.
You would have to speak with your lawyer in India about this.

This has nothing to do with Canada or Canadian immigration.

Reactions: jonnclk22