+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
this form CIT-0205 always gets confused with CIT-0502 but in the form i received does mention CIT-0205 (11-2017) E

@dpenabill
I sometimes transpose the numbers. The forms themselves, however, should be easily distinguishable.

The CIT 0205 is the PPQ - QAE form. It is profoundly intrusive and inconvenient. But as many reports are illuminating, it does not appear to slow the process by much for the qualified applicant who timely and appropriately responds.

The other two, the CIT 0520 (RQ lite) and CIT 0171 (the "Residence Questionnaire" which is commonly referred to as full-blown RQ) are different from the Quality Assurance form, and also different from each other in important respects.

I sometimes jumble the numbers. Referring to CIT 0502 or CIT 0250 or such, when I refer to CIT 0520. For most applicants who receive this "RQ-lite" there is no serious concerns, no serious issues. A few particular documents are requested and if provided timely, this does not result in a lengthy delay . . . some delay but not a lengthy delay.

That said, there have been some reported CIT 0520 forms asking for most or all of the documents (that is, all those listed are checked as requested), and this probably signals some significant concerns and an increased risk of a longer delay. Moreover, sometimes the applicant's response to the CIT 0520 does not satisfy IRCC and is followed by further queries, perhaps the full blown CIT 0171, which can mean there are serious issues and potentially some long delays.

As I have oft noted, these days the CIT 0171 is the most serious request and when it is issued, it appears very likely that IRCC has serious concerns or even overt suspicions. Applicants responding to the CIT 0171 should be more diligent in providing everything they can provide and consider providing additional proof, and especially so if there is any gap at all in the main proof (proof of place of residence covering EVERY MONTH, and proof of employment or other activity for EVERY MONTH in Canada). Applicants receiving this can anticipate lengthy delays.

This said, there are probably still some instances in which the CIT 0171 is more a formality and there is not any overt suspicion. A prompt and appropriate response may proceed fairly timely, comparable to how the CIT 0520 tends to be processed.

(Note: I have been away from all Internet for nearly two weeks, doing Canadian stuff, spending time in the woods and paddling a canoe on a remote lake, catching fish, watching sunsets, the good stuff.)

Reactions: SunnyWays

confrentis

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
ON, GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/12/2012
AOR Received.
31/01/2013
Med's Done....
17/12/2012
Interview........
AIP+OWP+ DM: 7-Nov-2013
LANDED..........
Dec 13, 2013
Hello,
I received quality assurance request yesterday and have no idea how to obtain entry/exit records. I traveled to Mexico, Cuba , Dominican (1 week vacations) and to Russia for 2 weeks.
Sorry if this was discussed before, but can someone help me with information?
I opened the link provided and emailed request to the above countries’ consulates.
I’m not sure they will be able to provide it though... I just don’t understand why the stamps I my passport are not sufficient

Aug 6, 2018
Hello,
I received quality assurance request yesterday and have no idea how to obtain entry/exit records. I traveled to Mexico, Cuba , Dominican (1 week vacations) and to Russia for 2 weeks.
Sorry if this was discussed before, but can someone help me with information?
I opened the link provided and emailed request to the above countries’ consulates.
I’m not sure they will be able to provide it though... I just don’t understand why the stamps I my passport are not sufficient
If I am right, and others can correct if I am not, the wording is:

Entry/Exit Records from countries of citizenship/residence, other than Canada

So technically you are responsible first and foremost for your country of citizenship entry and exit report (which you better get it in any way you can), then if you have permanent residency in another country, you should get the report of entey and exit for that country as well, and then if you have had a temporary residence status like a worker or student status in a country where you can get the records, then you should get that as well. I doubt if they would want you to get every single record for every country you have visited as a “visitor” for couple of days. Some countries will not even bother to provide such informatjkn to foreign nationals or do not keep electronic records of all visitors other than the stamp you have in your passport. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Reactions: dpenabill

AmrAdel

Jul 5, 2014
Hi everyone,
Can someone confirm please ?

I am a June 2018 applicant and already got my AOR in August and of-course no test invite yet
A couple of days ago I received the awful Physical presence questionnaire PPQ- Quality Assurance exercise QAE. Forgive me if this has been asked before in the forum.

One of the requirements is the entry exit record. I understand I have to order it from my home country. Now my question is:

In addition to my visits to my home country, I:
1) Travelled to USA for 1 week to attend a conference there
2) Travelled to Hungary for 1 week to attend another conference

-Am I required to order entry exit records for my visits to USA and Hungary ?

-Also, I believe I won't be able to obtain the entry exit record from back home within the 60 days deadline. What is the best strategy here ? Shall I send all the documents that I'll be able to collect before the 60 days with a letter explaining the status of the entry exit records or do you guys have any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi everyone,
Can someone confirm please ?

I am a June 2018 applicant and already got my AOR in August and of-course no test invite yet
A couple of days ago I received the awful Physical presence questionnaire PPQ- Quality Assurance exercise QAE. Forgive me if this has been asked before in the forum.

One of the requirements is the entry exit record. I understand I have to order it from my home country. Now my question is:

In addition to my visits to my home country, I:
1) Travelled to USA for 1 week to attend a conference there
2) Travelled to Hungary for 1 week to attend another conference

-Am I required to order entry exit records for my visits to USA and Hungary ?

-Also, I believe I won't be able to obtain the entry exit record from back home within the 60 days deadline. What is the best strategy here ? Shall I send all the documents that I'll be able to collect before the 60 days with a letter explaining the status of the entry exit records or do you guys have any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Did you provide your full passport copy for the eligibility period? Did you travel a lot? What is the cause of the RQ according to you?

AmrAdel

Jul 5, 2014
Yes, I sent copies of all passports I had during my eligibility period and I only traveled 3 times. In the letter It was stated that I was randomly selected.

Did you provide your full passport copy for the eligibility period? Did you travel a lot? What is the cause of the RQ according to you?

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting is the worst but we are on the same boat. A little more patience!

I passed my rescheduled exam on August 22nd and the officer told me that I may get an oat ceremony date within 10 days since I lost months due to RQ. So far no news, however, they called my guarantor.

Application Sent: October 12th, 2017
Application Received: October 16th, 2017
In Process: December 4th, 2017
PPQ-QA Received: February 2, 2017 (by regular mail)
PPQ-QA Sent: March 12 (to the Montreal office)
Test Invite Received: July 12, 2018 (by email)
Test Date: July 23, 2018 - I contacted Immigration Canada to reschedule my test.
New Test Date: August 22, 2018
Call to Guarantor: Sept 20, 2018

pd123

Jun 20, 2017
@dpenabill

rq cit0171 received as of march 13-18 and submitted my documents already as requested. just missed to enter 3 days trip to newyork which triggered the RQ.

ordered ATIP notes and says in queue to be reviewed. what shall i do !! can i reapply and withdraw my current application !
also i noticed on ATIP notes that my file was transferred to scarborough and now its back in windsor.

also the due date on my atip notes says nov 26-18. what does that mean!!

appreciate your help

thanks

Ronstar

Feb 28, 2014
Just received the PPQA. I have a few questions.
1. For one place I lived I did not have a lease agreement or anything in writing, would a letter from the the homeowner be enough?
2. Do I need to get a letter from my previous places of employment if I have the record of employment for them. I tried to contact the HR manager but they seem to not care about my request. I have a job letter from the time I worked there which I can send in would that suffice or do I have to keep asking for the letter.
3.I have applied for my entry/exit record from my home country but they may take awhile to get back to me. Can I send in my application without it if the dateline approaches and then resend the record when I get it?

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: I am NOT an expert.

@dpenabill

rq cit0171 received as of march 13-18 and submitted my documents already as requested. just missed to enter 3 days trip to newyork which triggered the RQ.

ordered ATIP notes and says in queue to be reviewed. what shall i do !! can i reapply and withdraw my current application !
also i noticed on ATIP notes that my file was transferred to scarborough and now its back in windsor.

also the due date on my atip notes says nov 26-18. what does that mean!!

appreciate your help

thanks
At this stage there is NOT much, if anything, you can do let alone need to do . . . unless there are some key documents you have which you did not include with what you submitted already. If you have such documents, you can submit those as a supplemental response, making sure to provide all the information necessary to connect the submission to your citizenship application file.

Other than that, you are in WAIT mode, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly.

Your main opportunity to further influence the decision-making was in how you responded to the RQ. You may get another opportunity if the Citizenship Officer schedules a presence-determination interview or if the Citizenship Officer refers the case to a Citizenship Judge and there is a hearing with the CJ. In either of those events you will be able to appear and make your case.

Timeline is utterly unknown. For quite awhile now the forum has not seen many personal experience reports about the CIT 0171 (full-blown RQ) process. It appears that these days RQ means IRCC has overt if not serious concerns, if not outright suspicions.

It is possible your submission will satisfy the Citizenship Officer and the next action on your file might be scheduling you to attend a Oath ceremony. In the past, when RQ was far more common, this was actually the most common outcome; that is, after a delay, sometimes a rather long delay, most RQ'd applicants were eventually scheduled to take the oath. But, again, for the last couple years or so there are so few reports about how it has gone in RQ we do not currently know much about how these cases usually go.

But for now you are in WAIT and WATCH mode.

RE WITHDRAWING and RE-APPLYING: Yes, you can do that. Whether to do that or not is a very personal decision. The specific facts matter. Since any suspicions raised by this application are NOT likely to be resolved or satisfactorily answered by withdrawing, there may be little to gain by withdrawing. If in contrast you simply applied too soon, and just a few days off makes a big difference (even if technically that means you still have a margin albeit very small margin over the minimum), and you are confident that is the ONLY reason why IRCC has questions or concerns, then it might be better to withdraw and re-apply. BUT the details in your case, way, way too many personal details to try enumerating them in a venue like this, are really important . . . this is either for you to decide after carefully reviewing every aspect of your case and immigration history, or for you to see a lawyer for a consultation to help you make this decision.

Just received the PPQA. I have a few questions.
1. For one place I lived I did not have a lease agreement or anything in writing, would a letter from the the homeowner be enough?
2. Do I need to get a letter from my previous places of employment if I have the record of employment for them. I tried to contact the HR manager but they seem to not care about my request. I have a job letter from the time I worked there which I can send in would that suffice or do I have to keep asking for the letter.
3.I have applied for my entry/exit record from my home country but they may take awhile to get back to me. Can I send in my application without it if the dateline approaches and then resend the record when I get it?

Thanks
Assuming this is specifically the PPQ- QAE including CIT 0205, received before being scheduled for a test or interview, almost all indications suggest it is OK to make a concerted effort to provide what is requested as best the applicant can, to identify and explain what is NOT being submitted, including some reasonable substitute for what is not available or explain why this or that is not YET available while clearly (and truthfully) describing what action has been taken to obtain the document.

See above discussion distinguishing differences between RQ (CIT 0171) and the PPQ-QAE (with CIT 0205), including emphasis on the latter really being about Quality Assurance, a procedure which gathers additional information and documentation in order to evaluate the efficacy of the application and routine process. Thus, substantial performance should suffice. It is NOT about proving a questioned or challenged case.

Thus, for address and employment history, do the best you can and explain why there is any shortcoming. (After all, manufacturing documentation is NOT really an option. What you have plus what you can obtain from others is the best you can do.)

As for the Entry/Exit records, IRCC is very well familiar with what is involved in obtaining such records for the vast majority of countries in the world. If available, how long it takes, and so on. See the IRCC website for what information they have about this process. So your best effort and a TRUTHFUL explanation otherwise should suffice, since to a large extent IRCC already knows well enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronstar

Ronstar

Feb 28, 2014
Thank you.

I have work have gathered almost all the documents. I am waiting for my health record from the ministry of health and I have documents to back up the one I cannot access.

I will possibly send it in a week or two.

Thanks

Reminder: I am NOT an expert.

At this stage there is NOT much, if anything, you can do let alone need to do . . . unless there are some key documents you have which you did not include with what you submitted already. If you have such documents, you can submit those as a supplemental response, making sure to provide all the information necessary to connect the submission to your citizenship application file.

Other than that, you are in WAIT mode, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly.

Your main opportunity to further influence the decision-making was in how you responded to the RQ. You may get another opportunity if the Citizenship Officer schedules a presence-determination interview or if the Citizenship Officer refers the case to a Citizenship Judge and there is a hearing with the CJ. In either of those events you will be able to appear and make your case.

Timeline is utterly unknown. For quite awhile now the forum has not seen many personal experience reports about the CIT 0171 (full-blown RQ) process. It appears that these days RQ means IRCC has overt if not serious concerns, if not outright suspicions.

It is possible your submission will satisfy the Citizenship Officer and the next action on your file might be scheduling you to attend a Oath ceremony. In the past, when RQ was far more common, this was actually the most common outcome; that is, after a delay, sometimes a rather long delay, most RQ'd applicants were eventually scheduled to take the oath. But, again, for the last couple years or so there are so few reports about how it has gone in RQ we do not currently know much about how these cases usually go.

But for now you are in WAIT and WATCH mode.

RE WITHDRAWING and RE-APPLYING: Yes, you can do that. Whether to do that or not is a very personal decision. The specific facts matter. Since any suspicions raised by this application are NOT likely to be resolved or satisfactorily answered by withdrawing, there may be little to gain by withdrawing. If in contrast you simply applied too soon, and just a few days off makes a big difference (even if technically that means you still have a margin albeit very small margin over the minimum), and you are confident that is the ONLY reason why IRCC has questions or concerns, then it might be better to withdraw and re-apply. BUT the details in your case, way, way too many personal details to try enumerating them in a venue like this, are really important . . . this is either for you to decide after carefully reviewing every aspect of your case and immigration history, or for you to see a lawyer for a consultation to help you make this decision.

Assuming this is specifically the PPQ- QAE including CIT 0205, received before being scheduled for a test or interview, almost all indications suggest it is OK to make a concerted effort to provide what is requested as best the applicant can, to identify and explain what is NOT being submitted, including some reasonable substitute for what is not available or explain why this or that is not YET available while clearly (and truthfully) describing what action has been taken to obtain the document.

See above discussion distinguishing differences between RQ (CIT 0171) and the PPQ-QAE (with CIT 0205), including emphasis on the latter really being about Quality Assurance, a procedure which gathers additional information and documentation in order to evaluate the efficacy of the application and routine process. Thus, substantial performance should suffice. It is NOT about proving a questioned or challenged case.

Thus, for address and employment history, do the best you can and explain why there is any shortcoming. (After all, manufacturing documentation is NOT really an option. What you have plus what you can obtain from others is the best you can do.)

As for the Entry/Exit records, IRCC is very well familiar with what is involved in obtaining such records for the vast majority of countries in the world. If available, how long it takes, and so on. See the IRCC website for what information they have about this process. So your best effort and a TRUTHFUL explanation otherwise should suffice, since to a large extent IRCC already knows well enough.

gauravsaab

Aug 30, 2011
Regina
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
0786 (<<Joke :P )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 DEC 2011 (SINP)