+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ despite all documents submitted with citizenship application

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you personally know, confident and indeed qualified to apply for citizenship, why would you send additional documents other than what are required. It's the same as rejecting your own application with the basic requirements alone.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informatics said:
I believe dpenabill and others have given you the correct advice.

Would you like to tell was your letter send by Sydney or your local office ?

Thanks and all the best !
Local Office.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:
Also how many days of physical presence did you have on your application?
I completed all the requirements including the 1095+ number of days residing in Canada, that's all what I can say

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
whiz,

are you saying they may have used some pre-judgements when issuing you the RQ ?
What I'm saying there is a crisis of confidence between CIC and immigrants. Regardless what the reasons are, they should not punish the majority of good law-abiding immigrants by the deeds of bunch of bad apples. Such delays caused by RQ is punishment as far as everybody is concerned. My application was far more than a complete application. The only reason I've been sent a RQ is to put me on the non-routine process (if there is a process at the first place!). CIC failed a lot of people, and honestly, I find it difficult to believe they're doing their job properly and according to a clear process.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Juney said:
If you personally know, confident and indeed qualified to apply for citizenship, why would you send additional documents other than what are required. It's the same as rejecting your own application with the basic requirements alone.
I'm confident I met all requirements and my application is 110% complete, but I'm not confident CIC have the tendency to believe so. By default, every immigrant is considered a liar, and it takes ALOT of work, hurdles and hassle from the immigrant to prove otherwise. We've seen thousands of examples about people who are actively contributing to Canada, they have decent jobs, bought houses, their children grew in Canada and the only way they got their citizenship was by suing CIC. I'm sick of this carrot-and-stick system.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
There is no need for an argument. All a person needs to do is follow the directions. If he has a special situation that he thinks will be helped by including extra documents, do so. If not, don't. I don't think (and that's just a guess, as is everything that doesn't come from an official source) that a person's application is harmed by including extra documents, though apparently you do. In fact, I think some extra documents can be helpful. Take NOAs, for example. Apparently, they will be required when the new rules go into effect (only the years a person files a tax return will count), so how can it hurt to include them now? How about cover letters? There's no mention of them in the instructions, yet many people seem to include them, especially if they have something that needs to be explained.

As to the OP, there are three possibilities: 1) he was destined to receive an RQ, no matter what, or 2) he got a lazy citizenship officer, who simply sent out an RQ without reading the attached documents, or 3) the documents didn't answer the specific questions the officer wanted answered. You might say he got an RQ because he included extra documents, and I might say he did not, but they're both just guesses. The fact is that we don't know the specifics of the case, so we can't say why he got an RQ.
I'd vote for: "he got a lazy citizenship officer, who simply sent out an RQ without reading the attached documents". It seems officers enjoy the upper hand and power they exploit against us, poor immigrants. ::)

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
No, but i can read the guideline and list with required documents. Anyway, if you want to argue you need a suitcase with documents with initial application, feel free to do it. But phrase it like "its definitely not required, but i do believe and its on your own choice that ...."

Most of these people around here read opinions like yours and others, put a lot effort in collecting documents (pay translation, xerox copies), cant sleep nights thinking maybe they missed something and end up receiving RQ.

Its a shame, where the instructions are very clear.
I beg to differ era1521. I personally know many people who posted everything and their application went very smooth.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it was CIT 171. I didn't know there are more than one type! Can you please elaborate?

sapguru said:
@ whiz - Which RQ form were you asked to fill in ? CIT 171 ?

Why is RQ so dreadful?
Applicants are not afraid of providing additional documentation or explanation asked in the RQ, however, they are scared of the unexplained wait period of 24 to 36 months after providing the RQ response.
CIC does not provide any updates to the applicant during this period. CIC does not provide any details of the process on they handle the RQs on their website. Only thing an applicant do is search forums to relate its RQ case, pray Him and wish to be lucky!
In this world of Information revolution (mobile, twitter, facebook, etc) where the information flows in seconds across the world, the applicants cannot live with the anxiety that CIC keeps them refrained from the update for months and years, and prefer a black boxed system. Such system may not even exist in the third world from where most of the applicants have immigrated.
After trying to do reforms in last one year or so, CIC has not provided any update on how may RQed cases have been cleared? How is the RQ backlog moving overall? What can the RQed applicants expect in next few months? Could it be CIC's inability or ignorance to be really effective towards their own process?

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
Juney said:
Best point of view

Nov 06- 2014

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whiz,
I definitely share with you your opinion. Same thoughts I already expressed on other threads.
Trust me it is a real pain when you receive RQ and you believe that each and every detail in your application is indeed true. To answer your point that CIC officer didn’t look your documents, you should know that this is a bureaucratic system. Every officer is responsible to do certain task on your file. If someone is assigned to issue RQ, then he blindly will go through the checklist and fill it up. I don’t think they will care about what you sent. Once again, we don’t mind receiving RQ provided that CIC is achieving a fair process among all applicants. In my opinion as they spend efforts to issue RQ, the should also have enough resources to process the RQ responses that deemed to be true and honest so they go back in line with other applications. I’m sure if it goes that way you don’t mind the efforts you spent collecting documents to respond to RQ. I’m sure that no one at all will complain if fraud and suspicious applications take long processing time.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
whiz said:
I'd vote for: "he got a lazy citizenship officer, who simply sent out an RQ without reading the attached documents". It seems officers enjoy the upper hand and power they exploit against us, poor immigrants. ::)
As I and others have clearly pointed out, the job of the person doing the triage criteria screening is not to assess residency.

It would be improper for a civil servant to spend the taxpayer's dollars going outside the scope of his or her duties to consider extraneous matter in doing his or her job. Especially where such extraneous matter is not relevant to the decision that person is making . . . that person is looking at the information in the application and required documents, and comparing that information to what CIC records reflect, to decide whether the triage criteria requires the issuance of RQ. If such circumstances exist, RQ is to be issued. It would be malfeasance to not issue RQ in that instance -- no matter what additional information and documentation is included with the application.

This is not to say that the triage criteria is fair. This is not to say the triage criteria do not result in the issuance of RQ to qualified applicants. Obviously, the criteria are designed to capture as many truly questionable cases as possible, and thus will necessarily capture more than just the questionable cases. So, yes, qualified applicants get RQ'd.

But that has nothing to do with the personal insult, the unfounded disparaging allegation of laziness aimed at the civil servant who was simply doing his or her job.

datascientist

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have same situation as yours, mine was March 04.

whiz said:
I applied for citizenship in accordance with the below timeline. Along with my citizenship application, I enclosed every single paper a questionnaire may request. I was extremely surprised they are asking me to fill a RQ although all the documents are submitted. I'm not even sure if I should resubmit the documents I submitted with my application. My question: Have anybody encounter this issue before? should I resubmit all the documents or just fill the questionnaire and refer the officer to the file sent with the citizenship application? My second question, is it possible the officer didn't even bother to open my file? The RQ letter date is February 10th, which is the same date they started processing my application. The letter says they require the RQ to "assist the judge assess my application"!

Thanks for all your replies.

----

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 18, 2014.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 29, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on February 10, 2015.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
datascientist said:
Hi Whiz,
Did you observe that my application was received on 18th Nov as well.
Hmm..
The CIC receives about 800 applications every day. I'm not sure I'd read too much significance into it.

datascientist

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi eileenf,
You are right . I would not correlate, as i do not have total visibility of all the info to derive that conclusion.

Has any one from Nov (Mississauga) other than me and Nov 06 2014 received RQ?

Just checked the tracker ,not too many Mississauga applicants in November.

eileenf said:
The CIC receives about 800 applications every day. I'm not sure I'd read too much significance into it.