+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection of CEC Application- Crucial error on letter

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

I received an update from the IRCC today saying that my application for residency has been rejected.

The crucial part of the letter is this (i've emphasised the NOC codes and hidden the name of my employer):

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: 2019-02 to 2020-03 - Bar Manager (NOC: 0631)

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because I am not satisfied that you have performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC 6235 [R87.1(2)(b)].'

I'm trying to work out what the hell has happened here- it seems there's two options, my work experience has been reviewed for a second time and the officer has decided to go against the previous assessment to say that I did not actually meet the requirements after all, but when writing my rejection letter has made a typo with the NOC code. The other option seems to be that for some reason my application has been assessed under the NOC6235 code, which is for a financial advisor, which obviously my employment letter does not meet the criteria for.

I ordered and received GCMS notes a month or two ago that said I had passed eligibility, including an assessement of my work experience in July 2020, and I was told on the phone with IRCC around the same time, that the only thing that was outstanding was my criminality check.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here, or what I should do? Initially I was devastated if a little confused, but now I've read the letter it just makes no sense at all.

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
(Some extra information that may or may not be relevant- The reason my application has taken so long is that I got married last year, and have had to add my wife to the application as a non-accompanying spouse. She just took a very expensive medical exam on Monday, which was due to be submitted to the IRCC this week. I believed that this was the final part of my application that was outstanding.)

huxing0522

Dec 14, 2019
Halifax
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-03-2021
Med's Done....
23-03-2021
LANDED..........
16-08-2021
So actually your NOC is 6235 or 0631?If it is 0631,I think you can call the IRCC ask reopen your application.

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
My NOC is 0631- Bar Manager. GCMS notes confirm that this was the category under which I applied, and my eligibility was confirmed in those notes.

On 20/7/30 my notes show this update:

'OFFICER REVIEW. File reviewed... I am satisfied the PA has acquired the work experiences declared. Eligibility passed. Criminality pending due to outstanding biometrics.'

To be clear, my employment letter pretty much perfectly matches the required job description and duties. I've had a consultant look at the letter and he said it was exactly as it should be.

The rejection letter I received today mentions the failure to meet NOC6325 job duties, I have absolutely no idea why.

huxing0522

Dec 14, 2019
Halifax
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-03-2021
Med's Done....
23-03-2021
LANDED..........
16-08-2021
Don't worry,I definitely think is IRCC's fault.

Reactions: worrier123

huxing0522

Dec 14, 2019
Halifax
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-03-2021
Med's Done....
23-03-2021
LANDED..........
16-08-2021
All you have to do is call ircc on Monday.

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Don't worry,I definitely think is IRCC's fault.
It's a little late for me worrying haha. But it just doesn't add up does it?! I feel slightly better as there's a pretty clear indication they've made a mistake somewhere, the only thing that makes sense is i've been assessed under the wrong category for some reason, it's great to know this stressful process got more so. Thanks for your replies.

Jasaman

Mar 24, 2021
Hi everyone,

I received an update from the IRCC today saying that my application for residency has been rejected.

The crucial part of the letter is this (i've emphasised the NOC codes and hidden the name of my employer):

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: 2019-02 to 2020-03 - Bar Manager (NOC: 0631)

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement because I am not satisfied that you have performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC 6235 [R87.1(2)(b)].'

I'm trying to work out what the hell has happened here- it seems there's two options, my work experience has been reviewed for a second time and the officer has decided to go against the previous assessment to say that I did not actually meet the requirements after all, but when writing my rejection letter has made a typo with the NOC code. The other option seems to be that for some reason my application has been assessed under the NOC6235 code, which is for a financial advisor, which obviously my employment letter does not meet the criteria for.

I ordered and received GCMS notes a month or two ago that said I had passed eligibility, including an assessement of my work experience in July 2020, and I was told on the phone with IRCC around the same time, that the only thing that was outstanding was my criminality check.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here, or what I should do? Initially I was devastated if a little confused, but now I've read the letter it just makes no sense at all.
[/QUOT
Hi everyone,

@legalfalcon

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Yeah my AOR was May 6 last year! It's been a horrible time and this just adds to it. There were the delays due to biometrics being closed, and then it took a long time for anything to happen with my background/criminality check. I noticed when I logged into the webportal today to access the rejection letter, that my background check was finally passed. I wonder if this triggered another review of my eligibility and for some reason the officer applied the wrong NOC category? Like I said my GCMS notes said that eligibility was passed in July 2020!

Adding my wife to the application following my marriage last summer seems to have also added some delay, as I informed IRCC of the marriage in December, and there were months between being asked for supporting documents, submitting them and then again having IRCC acknowledge their submission, and then her doing the medical this week. But a lot of people who applied at the same time as me seem to be getting COPR. I just don't understand what's going on, the explanation I've been given just doesn't add up based on what I know of my specific application and how the process usually progresses. I really hope its a massive mistake on their part, I just have an anxious 48 hours of waiting.

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi everyone,

Human errors do happen. The best way to approach is that you write a detailed letter highlighting all this and also quoting your GCMS notes and send it for reconsideration to IRCC via webform.

Calling IRCC won't help as the call centre agents cannot do anything about it.

@Jasaman

You will have to request a formal written reconsideration.

Since I am not privy to your documents, I cannot say anything on the merits of the application.

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thank you for reply @legalfalcon, I really appreciate your insight and advice. It's very frustrating to have to go back through the webform given how long it takes for anything to happen. Are there any other steps I can take in order to get more of an insight into what has happened? Would submitting another request for GCMS notes be a good idea?

In your experience is it rare for an application to completely pass eligibility only to be rejected on those grounds almost 6 months later, with no alteration to that aspect of the application? I can barely find anyone talking about similar experiences on this forum. I can't find anyone that has their eligibility denied with an incorrect NOC cited by the officer either.

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
For reference here is what my employment letter said:

LOGO/EMPLOYER INFO
02/16/2020

To Whom it May Concern.

This is to certify that MY NAME is employed by BAR NAME, LOCATION.

Details of his employment are given below:
Designation: Bar Manager
Employed from: February 2019 (First Employed as Server in August 2018)
Type of Employment: Full Time, 30+ hours per week.
Annual Salary: $20,000 (approx, plus holiday pay and tips)

Duties and responsibilities handled by MY NAME include the following:
• Staff Training and Performance Review
• Ensuring Ongoing Compliance with Health and Safety Regulations
• Monitoring Bar Inventory, Revenues and Prices
• Personally Resolving Customer Complaints and Responding to Feedback.
Co-ordinating Promotions and Organising Events (Karaoke Nights, Screenings etc.)
• Overseeing Day to Day Food and Beverage Service

If you have any questions, please contact us via the e-mail address or phone number below.

MANAGER NAME AND SIGNATURE, CONTACT EMAIL AND PHONE NUMBER

And here is the NOC job duties for the relevant job.

Restaurant and food service managers perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of a restaurant, bar, cafeteria or other food or beverage service
  • Determine type of services to be offered and implement operational procedures
  • Recruit staff and oversee staff training
  • Set staff work schedules and monitor staff performance
  • Control inventory, monitor revenues and modify procedures and prices
  • Resolve customer complaints and ensure health and safety regulations are followed
  • Negotiate arrangements with suppliers for food and other supplies
  • Negotiate arrangements with clients for catering or use of facilities for banquets or receptions.

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
You can raise it on the webform. This might be an error on their side. Moreover, do call also the call center and explain what happened. Mentioned also to the agent that you submitted this on the webform, so you can have a documented verbal explanation in the call center system. They might take a look on your file and reopen the case. Apparently, sometimes if they commit error from their side they will tell you they will send email but do not expect too much to receive it as sometime they don't email their error, they will just reopen your file.