+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!
I would like to share my travelling experiences with RTD(no PR)for whoever is wondering about;
-Germany
-Austria
-Montenegro
-South Africa

i have travelled to Germany couple times and I never had any issue, when I was staying on lake koniggsee in Germany it was on the border of Austria. So I took a train -which was one stop only with train- No issues. Montenegro was no issues too they were little confused about RTD, they kept me wait a little to make sure I am able to leave to country and I had a connection flight through Slovenia, they kept me wait a little bit there as well to make sure things are ok. So everything was good eventually.

For South Africa;

I volunteered to help to kids through a company, so I got visa for 20 days. There was no issue on the arrival but on the departure they kept me about 10 min before I fly back to Germany. Everything was good at the end too.

i was wondering where am I able to go in the Caribbean’s or any South America with no PR?
as I know; Cuba and Bahamas are ok. Dominican Republic? Also Mexico needs Pr as I believe?
Wow how are you able to travel so much. Most Canadians only get a few weeks of vacation every year. Jealous! Would also say that showing involvement/commitment to establishing a life in Canada is also is a good thing to do as a protected person.

MerveF

Mar 2, 2019
Wow how are you able to travel so much. Most Canadians only get a few weeks of vacation every year. Jealous! Would also say that showing involvement/commitment to establishing a life in Canada is also is a good thing to do as a protected person.
thank you!! In hospitality industry it's easier to get away except summer! So i prefer to do couple trips in low season! :) and i consider myself lucky to work with good management so they mostly approve my vacays! :)

do you know if Dominican Republic requires PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you!! In hospitality industry it's easier to get away except summer! So i prefer to do couple trips in low season! :) and i consider myself lucky to work with good management so they mostly approve my vacays! :)

do you know if Dominican Republic requires PR?
Unsure. You can email their Canadian embassy. Since it is not a known document the Canadian embassies are usually the ones who have the answer versus places in the country who are often very confused when they see an RTD.

Jan 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for RTD soon and before I'll send my application, I want to make sure that it's going to correct address because somewhere in the forum I read some applications have been returned due to sent to wrong address.

Passport office (Certificate of Identity Section)
Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

Please let me know is this right address.

Thank you.

warda1234

Feb 28, 2020
Like the US and UK it is going to be extremely dependent on your history and current situation in Canada. If you have decent paying longterm employment and a good amount of savings your chances of securing a visa will be much better.
hi,

I am waiting for my PR. i have RTD. i have to apply for australian visit visa. anyone knows the procedure? is it done online?

moham1979

Mar 1, 2020
Hi Everyone!
Hope someone can help with this dilemma..

I am a Convention Refugee since May 2018. Sent my PR application in October but haven’t gotten anything back yet.
Applied for a RTD back in September because I wanted to go to the US, and I also applied for a US visitor visa which was approved.

I’m still not entirely sure if there won’t be any issues traveling to the US since I called Westjet and Air Canada and both airlines told me I would still need a PASSPORT to travel to the US and that I can’t travel with a RTD.
Clearly, this doesn’t make any sense to me since I already applied for a Visa with my RTD and it was approved.

Has anyone traveled to the US recently with an RTD?
Did anyone have any problems going through US Customs or back into Canada?
I have plans to go to the US for completing my studies. It would be a huge help if you share your experience on the travel to the US with RTD. Thank you.

syed009

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hi friends.

I applied for travel document and chooses an option to pick up in person from Ottawa office but office is closed for public. Anyone else with issue like this?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi friends.

I applied for travel document and chooses an option to pick up in person from Ottawa office but office is closed for public. Anyone else with issue like this?
I think you need to wait.. let the offices open as no one is in rush to travel. You can also email them to send it via mail if it’s possibles.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hi friends.

i think passport office in Gatineau is open. As the website if showing special hours for COVID-19.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hi guys

Has anyone with RTD ever travelled to Belgium? What is your experience with getting the visa?

Thanks
Got a visa from czech republic and went there no issue. you need to have a schenghen visa in order to go there. Thats all.