+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Travel document services in Canada (certificate of identity or refugee travel document)
Services for travel documents for non-Canadians are suspended until further notice.

If you need to travel urgently, you can get travel document services if you

• have a serious illness
  • must tend to the serious illness or death of someone you know
  • will have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
    • Travel plans that are at risk don’t count as a reason for urgent passport services.
  • must travel for humanitarian reasons
    • This must be supported by the organization you work with.
To get urgent travel document services, fill out the Web form and

• select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
I created this topic to share my knowledge and experience with all of you. I will try to answer some important questions and concerns regarding travel as a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person living in Canada.

I’m not a lawyer, just a person who likes clarity. I am very proud to call Canada my new home. I want continue traveling and explore the world, but at the same time stay I want to stay mindful, and avoid doing anything wrong that would compromise my PR or Refugee status here. Some terms are below being simplified.

As most of you know, when you make your refugee claim, your passport is being seized by CIC or CBSA.

When my refugee claim was accepted I discovered that there are certain things we are not advised to do:

• Do not travel back to your home country
• Do not renew your home country’s passport.
• Do not travel on your home country’s passport, even to a third country, such as USA for example
• Just simply don’t have any contact with embassy of your home country.

All those things could put you at risk of losing your refugee status, because CBSA may interpret those actions as you no longer fear your home country, so you no longer need Canada’s protection.

I am not able to specify which law applies here and so on, but I know for sure that there are legal cases in which government took action and stripped or tried to strip person’s protection because they did one of above mentioned things.

Also it’s a matter of interpreting the law, so I think we should take those warnings seriously, it’s our lives and protection we are talking about.

If you want to get more information, I would suggest checking out Canadian Council for Refugees and other websites.

After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.

When I was applied for it, I noticed that on application form it says: “I understand that if I am issued a Canadian travel document and later obtain a passport issued by my country of citizenship, I am obliged to return the Canadian travel document to Passport Program, Citizenship and Immigration Canada.”

Obviously I started to get worried, because once I become a PR, CIC will return my national passport and in theory I must return RTD. I will have no choice, but to use my national passport to travel, but I don’t want to do that! What should I do?!

After more than two years, I got my PR interview, I got my passport back, at the end of my interview I decided to ask officer in person about my RTD dilemma.

So I did, I called them and I talked with call center agent at first, and explained my situation:

So finally after several minutes of back and forth, agent agreed to put a special call back request directly from “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” located in Gatineau, QC.

Next day I received a call and talked with a senior officer from that department, I explained my situation to him and finally I got the missing peace of a puzzle.

Some important points and additional information:

• As a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person in Canada we do have a right to travel.

• In order to be able to travel internationally, we must have a valid Travel Document.

• The only Travel Document we entitled to is a Refugee Travel Document, forget about Certificate of Identity

• In order to apply for RTD you need to use an application form “[PPTC 190] Adult travel document application form”, form is universal and is used to apply for both – RTD and COI.

• After becoming a Permanent Resident, you are still considered to have a refugee status in Canada

• RTD issued for 2 years before PR and after becoming PR for 5 years

• If you got your national passport back when you became PR, do not use it, instead send it to “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” along with your explanation letter

Travel Document - is an identity document issued by a government and allowing us to travel internationally. Generally, Travel Documents look like a passport-like booklets. The most common Travel Document is a Passport.

Government of Canada has a special department responsible for issuing Travel Documents for Refugees and Stateless Persons, and it’s called: “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program”, located in Gatineau, QC

That department is issuing two types of a Travel Documents:

1. Refugee Travel Document (light blue) (United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, 1951 and its Protocol of 1967): issued to persons in Canada with protected person status, including Convention refugees and persons in need of protection

2. Certificate of identity (grey or formerly brown): issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens, who are stateless or who are unable to obtain a national passport.

Personally I would advise everyone including myself, travel only using RTD, we shouldn’t put ourselves at risk. Getting RTD for 5 years is a great solution and hopefully by the time we need to renew it, we will have our Canadian Citizenship :)

I will mention it again, I am not a lawyer, just sharing summary of my findings with you. If you have additional questions or information, you are welcome to ask and contribute.
Thank you so much for all this information, even a lot of lawyers don't know about this information you just provide to us. Am so happy to get all this info I just applied for my PR January 15 so I still have a long way to go. Once again thanks a million times

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Hi friends.

I applied for travel document and chooses an option to pick up in person from Ottawa office but office is closed for public. Anyone else with issue like this?
Are you still trying to travel with all this problem all over the world, don't bring uncle Corona back to Canada please

Reactions: jack_2001

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I created this topic to share my knowledge and experience with all of you. I will try to answer some important questions and concerns regarding travel as a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person living in Canada.

I’m not a lawyer, just a person who likes clarity. I am very proud to call Canada my new home. I want continue traveling and explore the world, but at the same time stay I want to stay mindful, and avoid doing anything wrong that would compromise my PR or Refugee status here. Some terms are below being simplified.

As most of you know, when you make your refugee claim, your passport is being seized by CIC or CBSA.

When my refugee claim was accepted I discovered that there are certain things we are not advised to do:

• Do not travel back to your home country
• Do not renew your home country’s passport.
• Do not travel on your home country’s passport, even to a third country, such as USA for example
• Just simply don’t have any contact with embassy of your home country.

All those things could put you at risk of losing your refugee status, because CBSA may interpret those actions as you no longer fear your home country, so you no longer need Canada’s protection.

I am not able to specify which law applies here and so on, but I know for sure that there are legal cases in which government took action and stripped or tried to strip person’s protection because they did one of above mentioned things.

Also it’s a matter of interpreting the law, so I think we should take those warnings seriously, it’s our lives and protection we are talking about.

If you want to get more information, I would suggest checking out Canadian Council for Refugees and other websites.

After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.

When I was applied for it, I noticed that on application form it says: “I understand that if I am issued a Canadian travel document and later obtain a passport issued by my country of citizenship, I am obliged to return the Canadian travel document to Passport Program, Citizenship and Immigration Canada.”

Obviously I started to get worried, because once I become a PR, CIC will return my national passport and in theory I must return RTD. I will have no choice, but to use my national passport to travel, but I don’t want to do that! What should I do?!

After more than two years, I got my PR interview, I got my passport back, at the end of my interview I decided to ask officer in person about my RTD dilemma.

So I did, I called them and I talked with call center agent at first, and explained my situation:

So finally after several minutes of back and forth, agent agreed to put a special call back request directly from “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” located in Gatineau, QC.

Next day I received a call and talked with a senior officer from that department, I explained my situation to him and finally I got the missing peace of a puzzle.

Some important points and additional information:

• As a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person in Canada we do have a right to travel.

• In order to be able to travel internationally, we must have a valid Travel Document.

• The only Travel Document we entitled to is a Refugee Travel Document, forget about Certificate of Identity

• In order to apply for RTD you need to use an application form “[PPTC 190] Adult travel document application form”, form is universal and is used to apply for both – RTD and COI.

• After becoming a Permanent Resident, you are still considered to have a refugee status in Canada

• RTD issued for 2 years before PR and after becoming PR for 5 years

• If you got your national passport back when you became PR, do not use it, instead send it to “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” along with your explanation letter

Travel Document - is an identity document issued by a government and allowing us to travel internationally. Generally, Travel Documents look like a passport-like booklets. The most common Travel Document is a Passport.

Government of Canada has a special department responsible for issuing Travel Documents for Refugees and Stateless Persons, and it’s called: “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program”, located in Gatineau, QC

That department is issuing two types of a Travel Documents:

1. Refugee Travel Document (light blue) (United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, 1951 and its Protocol of 1967): issued to persons in Canada with protected person status, including Convention refugees and persons in need of protection

2. Certificate of identity (grey or formerly brown): issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens, who are stateless or who are unable to obtain a national passport.

Personally I would advise everyone including myself, travel only using RTD, we shouldn’t put ourselves at risk. Getting RTD for 5 years is a great solution and hopefully by the time we need to renew it, we will have our Canadian Citizenship :)

I will mention it again, I am not a lawyer, just sharing summary of my findings with you. If you have additional questions or information, you are welcome to ask and contribute.
After becoming Permanent Resident of Canada, we can get Refugee Travel Document with 5 years validity. In that situation, should we put our notice of decision information on the Travel Document application form as proof of status instead of PR at section 3 even if we have PR card? If I do this, how they will know I am Permanent Resident of Canada? Do they check my status on immigration system? Also is copy of health card with signature and date of guarantor enough to prove identity in documents to support identity section? For in person applications, we can inform the staff that we have Permanent Residency to get Refugee Travel Document with 5 years validity. But how this works if we mail the application?

SuhailAhmad

Apr 12, 2020
I need to know how I can apply for refugee to Canada. I am from kashmir India and face certain religious political and other problems here which are enough to support my refugee claim.
what do I need to do to apply for refugee claim please suggest.

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
I am planning to go to Maldives when virus things get down. Anyone here been to Maldives with RTD? What is your experience with getting the visa?

Reactions: Mano1110786

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am planning to go to Maldives when virus things get down. Anyone here been to Maldives with RTD? What is your experience with getting the visa?
Wiuld suggest you contact the embassy. It is not a common travel destination for current protected people.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Anyone has renewal experience of expired RTD. Can we keep the old RTD after renewal if it has a valid US visa. Anyone who had the se
Experience please answer

Paladinrules

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Hey Maldives does not have an embassy in Canada, Their embassy is in USA, it is a rare destination for protected person as for visa purpose you have to send you RTD and required documentation to USA for processing. Malaysia is the best option, Indonesia do not accept RTD, Hawaii is also a good option. You can also go to Caribbean if you have PR. Good luck

You can contract them via---->

Permanent Mission of the Republic of Maldives to the United Nations

Embassy to the US / High Commission to Canada

Address:

801 Second Avenue,
Suite 202E,
New York, NY
United States of America

info@maldivesmission.com
(212) 599 6194, (212) 599 6195
(212) 661 6405
www.maldivesmission.com
www.twitter.com/mvpmny

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hello Folks,
Anyone has traveled with Refugee Travel Document with EgyptAir? I’ve found a cheap flight from Toronto to Istanbul by EgyptAir do they accept RTD with Turkish visa stamped.
Thanks

Reactions: Albertooo

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
Guys, my friend wants to reapply for RTD, he is now PR. the thing is he lost his national passport, so he can't send this doc to passport centre. What he should do, any advice?