+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I did apply with my RTD obviously. They require my RTD number for the application.

By waiting for it I mean it takes 5-8 weeks for them to send back your travel document with your visa sticker. Pretty obvious I believe :)
Unfortunately nothing is obvious for many people who are unfamiliar with the system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
guys i need to travel to germany with RTD
what will happened if i lost my RTD while travelling
please advice
thanks
Have you actually lost your RTD? If not be very careful not to lose your RTD. Keep a photocopy of the card with your luggage and not in your wallet.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
guys i need to travel to germany with RTD
what will happened if i lost my RTD while travelling
please advice
thanks
As far as I know, If you lost your RTD, you will have to apply for another one from Gatineau, you can't apply in candian conslute.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
What is your source that a protected person in Canada can get it?

is used only by persons who arrive to Canada as government-assisted refugees (GARs) and privately-sponsored refugees (PSRs).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2011/290-april-18-2011.html

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you get pickpocketed or something similar you should report it to the police and report it ASAP. Governments are obviously aware that that documents can be manipulated and reused so losing documents is also a concern. I am not sure why you are worried about losing the RTD before going anywhere.

Sunday olaluwoye

Feb 9, 2020
I'm planning to travel to Canada through visiting visa from Nigeria.but my major plan is to apply for asylum .. what is my chance and will all be possible there in Canada or I will go to USA for the process ..thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm planning to travel to Canada through visiting visa from Nigeria.but my major plan is to apply for asylum .. what is my chance and will all be possible there in Canada or I will go to USA for the process ..thanks
Getting visa from Nigeria has become incredibly difficult. Your family conflicts will not lead to asylum and you would end up returning to Nigeria.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
( First, sorry for mistakes, i use google translate from french )

You are confusing two things.

You doing confusion with '' Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada '' who is for government-assisted refugees (GARs) and privately-sponsored refugees (PSRs) . But we are talking here about '' Single Journey Travel Document'' .

( See here : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trans/guide-eng.html )

1 ) Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada

This document is a temporary Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) travel document issued by a Canadian mission abroad to foreign nationals who are determined to be members of the Convention Refugees abroad or the humanitarian-protected persons abroad classes who are travelling to Canada for resettlement and who hold a permanent resident visa.

The document is printed on form IMM 5485B. It is signed and dated by the issuing visa officer. A photograph of the holder is attached to the form and covered by a clear immigration protective seal. The form must contain a valid and subsisting permanent resident visa, which is also covered by a separate immigration protective seal.

2 ) Single Journey Travel Document

IRCC may issue a Single Journey Travel Document (SJTD) in limited circumstances to persons who are unable to obtain a prescribed travel document. The document, which is a paper form resembling the Single Journey Document for Resettlement to Canada, will always be endorsed with a Canadian visa counterfoil covered with an immigration protective seal and a photograph of the holder covered with a protective seal.

The SJTD is issued to individuals, not families. Children are not included in their parent's document, but receive their own. Individuals approved by a visa officer for temporary or permanent residence who are inadmissible due to the lack of a prescribed document and are therefore approved for temporary resident permit issuance may be issued a SJTD. Because of the lack of a prescribed document under R259, a temporary resident permit counterfoil coded PA-1 must be affixed to the SJTD. The individual coming to Canada temporarily under a SJTD must have documents valid for return to their country.

The document is '' imm 5565 '' . The is not a lot of information about this document on the internet, or vague information ... But I already had confirmation from a person who works in a refugees aid association that such a document could be issued by a Canadian consulate in case of extreme necessity ... and after a thorough investigation.

Reactions: adbcca

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
( First, sorry for mistakes, i use google translate from french )

You are confusing two things.

You doing confusion with '' Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada '' who is for government-assisted refugees (GARs) and privately-sponsored refugees (PSRs) . But we are talking here about '' Single Journey Travel Document'' .

( See here : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trans/guide-eng.html )

1 ) Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada

This document is a temporary Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) travel document issued by a Canadian mission abroad to foreign nationals who are determined to be members of the Convention Refugees abroad or the humanitarian-protected persons abroad classes who are travelling to Canada for resettlement and who hold a permanent resident visa.

The document is printed on form IMM 5485B. It is signed and dated by the issuing visa officer. A photograph of the holder is attached to the form and covered by a clear immigration protective seal. The form must contain a valid and subsisting permanent resident visa, which is also covered by a separate immigration protective seal.

2 ) Single Journey Travel Document

IRCC may issue a Single Journey Travel Document (SJTD) in limited circumstances to persons who are unable to obtain a prescribed travel document. The document, which is a paper form resembling the Single Journey Document for Resettlement to Canada, will always be endorsed with a Canadian visa counterfoil covered with an immigration protective seal and a photograph of the holder covered with a protective seal.

The SJTD is issued to individuals, not families. Children are not included in their parent's document, but receive their own. Individuals approved by a visa officer for temporary or permanent residence who are inadmissible due to the lack of a prescribed document and are therefore approved for temporary resident permit issuance may be issued a SJTD. Because of the lack of a prescribed document under R259, a temporary resident permit counterfoil coded PA-1 must be affixed to the SJTD. The individual coming to Canada temporarily under a SJTD must have documents valid for return to their country.

The document is '' imm 5565 '' . The is not a lot of information about this document on the internet, or vague information ... But I already had confirmation from a person who works in a refugees aid association that such a document could be issued by a Canadian consulate in case of extreme necessity ... and after a thorough investigation.
This is a typical document for people who are in urgent situations. Things like fleeing from abuse abroad. This isn’t something you should be counting on. Not sure where this fear of losing your RTD is coming from. Take steps to safeguard your documents like any other traveller and most are fine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Anyone who is protected person and still got visit visa to Aus?
Like the US and UK it is going to be extremely dependent on your history and current situation in Canada. If you have decent paying longterm employment and a good amount of savings your chances of securing a visa will be much better.

Reactions: Zainab umer

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
can an RTD holder with no PR transit through a European airport (i know Germany is OK) as long as i have a visa for the final destination?

MerveF

Mar 2, 2019
Hi everyone!
I would like to share my travelling experiences with RTD(no PR)for whoever is wondering about;
-Germany
-Austria
-Montenegro
-South Africa

i have travelled to Germany couple times and I never had any issue, when I was staying on lake koniggsee in Germany it was on the border of Austria. So I took a train -which was one stop only with train- No issues. Montenegro was no issues too they were little confused about RTD, they kept me wait a little to make sure I am able to leave to country and I had a connection flight through Slovenia, they kept me wait a little bit there as well to make sure things are ok. So everything was good eventually.

For South Africa;

I volunteered to help to kids through a company, so I got visa for 20 days. There was no issue on the arrival but on the departure they kept me about 10 min before I fly back to Germany. Everything was good at the end too.

i was wondering where am I able to go in the Caribbean’s or any South America with no PR?
as I know; Cuba and Bahamas are ok. Dominican Republic? Also Mexico needs Pr as I believe?