+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Hello,

I am a protected person in Canada, and my PR is in the process:

I would like to travel to Italy and Germany this summer. For your experience, I would like you to please tell me :

Do I need a VISA to travel to Germany on RTD?
Do I need a VISA to travel to Italy on RTD?
Will I face any problems in entering back to Canada on RTD without PR?

Thank you and I would really appreciate if you could answer my questions.

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Hello,

I would like to travel to Italy and Germany this summer. For your experience, I would like you to please tell me :

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Please limit your post to 1 post. You don’t need a visa for Germany. I believe you still need a visa for Italy. You should call their embassy since there has been discrepancies between their website and reality in the past.

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
Guys, can I show my COPR as a status in Canada when applying for RTD? Or I have to wait until PR card?

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
Guys, just confirming. Does Cuba require a visa for a RTD (no PR yet) or is it visa free???
Go to Mexico instead! Is cheap and they’re known everything, also they didn’t asked me anything at all! And you don’t need Visa!

for Cuba everything is expensive, you have to tip all the time because everybody is asking money!

nassb

Feb 5, 2019
Go to Mexico instead! Is cheap and they’re known everything, also they didn’t asked me anything at all! And you don’t need Visa!

for Cuba everything is expensive, you have to tip all the time because everybody is asking money!
Thank you, i guess Mexico needs a visa for RTD without PR

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Cuba is cheaper than Mexico. Tends to be safer as well. Lacks food options and is less fancy. You should be tipping in both Mexico and Cuba. Also would encourage people to bring or leave any clothing, medication, toiletries you may not need and leave them for your hotel cleaning or other staff. Some basics are very hard to get or are expensive in Cuba.
Believe you need a visa on a RTD. Know you don’t need one in Cuba.

Reactions: Ghess23

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Thank you, i guess Mexico needs a visa for RTD without PR
Correction: you do need visa if you dong have PR or a US visa. I spoke to them ans they confirmed this. Cuba doesn’t need Visa before going since it’s given to you either by airline or at entry or you could go get one, i think it’s walkin and it’s very easy and cheap

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
I would like to share my experience with applying for Turkish visa with RTD and no PR.

I completed an application online, and then booked an appointment to submit the documents in person (Consulate in Toronto). I had an invitation from a friend (you can probably apply without one too).
They require a self addressed envelop to send your RTD, airline ticket, medical insurance for your stay, bank statment, invitation, Notice of decision and work permit. I also submitted a couple of pay stubs as a proof.
Interview was pretty straight forward, I was asked how long I will stay and whats the purpose of my travel? Then was asked to wait for my RTD and that it might take 5-8 weeks. I got my visa in two weeks :)

Keep in mind that they will issue you exactly what you need- i said i will stay for 10 days and i was given a visa for 10 days only (3 month validity)

Hope that helps anyone willing to apply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would like to share my experience with applying for Turkish visa with RTD and no PR.

I completed an application online, and then booked an appointment to submit the documents in person (Consulate in Toronto). I had an invitation from a friend (you can probably apply without one too).
They require a self addressed envelop to send your RTD, airline ticket, medical insurance for your stay, bank statment, invitation, Notice of decision and work permit. I also submitted a couple of pay stubs as a proof.
Interview was pretty straight forward, I was asked how long I will stay and whats the purpose of my travel? Then was asked to wait for my RTD and that it might take 5-8 weeks. I got my visa in two weeks :)

Keep in mind that they will issue you exactly what you need- i said i will stay for 10 days and i was given a visa for 10 days only (3 month validity)

Hope that helps anyone willing to apply.
would encourage others to wait until they have their RTD before applying for visas.

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
would encourage others to wait until they have their RTD before applying for visas.
I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I did apply with my RTD obviously. They require my RTD number for the application.

By waiting for it I mean it takes 5-8 weeks for them to send back your travel document with your visa sticker. Pretty obvious I believe :)

Reactions: Ghess23