+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

LoneRider

Jul 4, 2017
I called Lufthansa and AirCanada today! None of their agents could figure it out. Now I am getting worried. Please if anyone used those airlines, let me know.
Hopefully, this is not a late reply but I have travelled to China with AirCanada before with RTD both with and without a PR. Didn't have any issue both times.

Sarah0211

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
You don't need a visa to travel to Germany, Air Canada and Lufthansa's employees at the airport know that, because they check IATA which says that RTD holders issued by Canada are exempted from obtaining a visa.
thank you for the confirmation.

Shaii

Jul 31, 2019
I got PR and RTD. I am Planning to apply for US Visa. I am from Maldives. I need help with few questions.
1- I do not have any relative or any person I know in US. As a contact person also I do not have any address to provide. what should I write there.?
2- Type of Travel Document (I marked as Regular) is that fine?
3- Any useful tips?

Thank You in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Talab111

bobanyyc

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
in June this year, I travelled to Europe: Germany, Austria, Portugal with no visa.
A few days ago I travel to Greece. I check-in in Calgary. As I have RTD ground staff have to check everything manually. They told me everything is Ok, Greece is a part of Shengen zone so I don't need a visa. But, Greek Border Police didn't allow me to enter into the country. They send me to detention, and deported back to Canada a day after.
Did you have the same or similar experiences and what you recommend to me to do?

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
Sorry to hear that that you were detent by inmigration... that’s ridiculous... can’t wait become in a Canadian citizens! And sto living with fears that My RTD won’t be accepted.

Hi everyone,
in June this year, I travelled to Europe: Germany, Austria, Portugal with no visa.
A few days ago I travel to Greece. I check-in in Calgary. As I have RTD ground staff have to check everything manually. They told me everything is Ok, Greece is a part of Shengen zone so I don't need a visa. But, Greek Border Police didn't allow me to enter into the country. They send me to detention, and deported back to Canada a day after.
Did you have the same or similar experiences and what you recommend to me to do?

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Ok after 2monthes i could find a guarantor to sign my rtd documents,i sent the document,do u guys have any idea how long does it take to get my rtd? Estimate time.
And another question which is not related to this forum,i sent my PR documents a few monthes ago, is there any way to check the status of my pr processes? Im a conventional refugee in canada ontario.

xxffgg

Aug 13, 2019
Ok after 2monthes i could find a guarantor to sign my rtd documents,i sent the document,do u guys have any idea how long does it take to get my rtd? Estimate time.
And another question which is not related to this forum,i sent my PR documents a few monthes ago, is there any way to check the status of my pr processes? Im a conventional refugee in canada ontario.
The RTD usually takes around 1 month..

You can check your PR status here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

PR is taking around 19 months.. You should hear from them 3 months after submitting your application stating that it is in process.. approx. 6 months after that they will ask for medicals if yours are no longer valid (they are valid for 1 year only) .. This is a mere speculative timeline based on my experience and what i've read here in the forum..

Reactions: hamasi

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
The RTD usually takes around 1 month..

You can check your PR status here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

PR is taking around 19 months.. You should hear from them 3 months after submitting your application stating that it is in process.. approx. 6 months after that they will ask for medicals if yours are no longer valid (they are valid for 1 year only) .. This is a mere speculative timeline based on my experience and what i've read here in the forum..
Thank you for your information,but the thing is, i put all the information, but it says there is no match information! Should i check the permanent resident or VOS?

Ch_Rizwan

Apr 23, 2016
Hi All!

Can somebody tell me any experience of visiting China with Refugee Travel Document after PR? I have applied for Citizenship but it is in process and i need to travel next year in April-May. I am not sure if i will receive Canadian passport till then (hopefully i will), so i will apply for Travel Document.

Please let me know if China Accepts Travel Document or not. It will be an organized trip for 10 Days Only.

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi All!

Can somebody tell me any experience of visiting China with Refugee Travel Document after PR? I have applied for Citizenship but it is in process and i need to travel next year in April-May. I am not sure if i will receive Canadian passport till then (hopefully i will), so i will apply for Travel Document.

Please let me know if China Accepts Travel Document or not. It will be an organized trip for 10 Days Only.
Hi
Just a bit of information I can with my experience. I travelled to Malaysia Via China- Taipei stop for 6 hours. I had no
Issues with my travel document. I reached Malaysia and back to Vancouver where I had to go through a detail check before entering Canada. That was annoying! But o came back to Ontario safely.

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi,
I’m planning to go to Turkey for holidays with RTD, I’m applying for Visa but they say it’s going to take 1 month for Visa processing. Can anybody share their experience to Turkey with Travel document.

Ch_Rizwan

Apr 23, 2016
Hi
Just a bit of information I can with my experience. I travelled to Malaysia Via China- Taipei stop for 6 hours. I had no
Issues with my travel document. I reached Malaysia and back to Vancouver where I had to go through a detail check before entering Canada. That was annoying! But o came back to Ontario safely.
Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear 6 hour stop means it was transit at airport not proper immigration check to go out of the airport right?

Reactions: Mano1110786