+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
And which country in Europe can we go without visa in our RTD??

!!!! Warning !!!! : I give this list for informational purposes ONLY ... Some of these territories or countries still apply for a visa for permanent Canadian resident card holders when they do not have a normal passport (refugee travel document) . It is therefore always necessary to contact the embassy, the consulate, or the high commission before the trip to be sure.

Outside Canada[edit]
For visa-free travels, Canadian permanent residents require a PR card, unless the person's passport in itself is sufficient for exemption. A Canadian PR card holder may travel visa-free to the following countries if not already exempt:

For non-visa-exempt nationals, UK allows holders of a valid PR card issued after 2002 to transit without visa under TWOV program.[21]

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_permanent_resident_card#Outside_Canada

Last edited:

trabyta

Oct 7, 2019
Dear Rainbowbee
On behalf of all refugees, I must Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 say "Thank You very Much" for sharing this detailed information. Really it will help to get the minds clear about traveling as well as the issuance of RTD.
keep posting we need such kind of updates
once again thanks
May Allah bless you.
regards
After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mano1110786

xxffgg

Aug 13, 2019
After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.
Indeed.. it seems like RTD is issued for 2 years before PR and 5 years after PR.

NewinKit

Apr 4, 2019
how long did it take for your RTD to be processed and recieved? And thanks

Fadi208

Oct 10, 2019
I called Lufthansa and AirCanada today! None of their agents could figure it out. Now I am getting worried. Please if anyone used those airlines, let me know.
You don't need a visa to travel to Germany, Air Canada and Lufthansa's employees at the airport know that, because they check IATA which says that RTD holders issued by Canada are exempted from obtaining a visa.

LoneRider

Jul 4, 2017
I called Lufthansa and AirCanada today! None of their agents could figure it out. Now I am getting worried. Please if anyone used those airlines, let me know.
Hopefully, this is not a late reply but I have travelled to China with AirCanada before with RTD both with and without a PR. Didn't have any issue both times.

Sarah0211

Apr 24, 2019
You don't need a visa to travel to Germany, Air Canada and Lufthansa's employees at the airport know that, because they check IATA which says that RTD holders issued by Canada are exempted from obtaining a visa.
thank you for the confirmation.

Shaii

Jul 31, 2019
I got PR and RTD. I am Planning to apply for US Visa. I am from Maldives. I need help with few questions.
1- I do not have any relative or any person I know in US. As a contact person also I do not have any address to provide. what should I write there.?
2- Type of Travel Document (I marked as Regular) is that fine?
3- Any useful tips?

Thank You in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Talab111

bobanyyc

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
in June this year, I travelled to Europe: Germany, Austria, Portugal with no visa.
A few days ago I travel to Greece. I check-in in Calgary. As I have RTD ground staff have to check everything manually. They told me everything is Ok, Greece is a part of Shengen zone so I don't need a visa. But, Greek Border Police didn't allow me to enter into the country. They send me to detention, and deported back to Canada a day after.
Did you have the same or similar experiences and what you recommend to me to do?