+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

hattabfj

Jun 20, 2016
fongo said:
You can renew your passport before getting the PR as long as your application still in process and you had not gotten the visa yet.
You friend has not gotten the visa yet. He is still in safe and he does not have the Canadian PR.
Canada asking the refugee not to renew his passport after getting the PR just for his safe. As refugee you should not travel outside Canada. Otherwise, be real Canadian from day one, stay in and support the Canadian community, work hard and look afterward your family in Canada.
Refugee entered Canada then from day one is trying to go back where he came from. Before applying he was in danger. After getting the PR he needs to go back and needs to ravel by his previous passport. WTH..
This is completely insane..
I totally agree with you.
I'm just planning in advance in case of emergency only.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
canadatraveldocument said:
first of all ,you heard fault information about refugee can't travel with their home country passport , this is 100% wrong who ever say this he may have very little brain and have no clue about that and some foolish people are keep say but not true , Second if you had your national passport before you apply refugee here in Canada you could still use it after you refugee approve because when you apply refugee inside canada immigration will take all your national IDs including your passport and they will never give you back until you get your PR the day of your PR interview and also you will get back your national IDs and passport if you withdraw your refugee application or if they approve your refugee claim you still can apply to send you back all your IDs and passport if you don't want to wait until your PR interview,,, so if immigration give it to you back your national passport you can travel with no problem . but do not renew it your passport in your embassy just apply for RTD because immigration don want you to contact your embassy or any official contact from your county until you become citizenship....and for renew it your RTD you MUST send your current RDT back then they will change it for you because my cousin he has 10 years US visa on his RTD when he want to renew it his RTD he went Ottawa by person to apply new one but they told him you must give back your older one then we will give you new one and they told him we do not care about you losing your US visa , after he got his new travel document he went back US consular they give him back his 10 years visa with out any issue
Ok. You are not totally wrong but 90%. A Refugee is allowed to use their national passport. However, using national passport means accepting protection from national country while abroad. Whom do you contact if you lose your passport while out of Canada? Whom do you contact if you need help after a natural disaster? Well, you contact the embassy of whichever country you used entering the foreign country. If you don't mind getting protection from your embassy and in case you need to get a new passport after a lost or stolen passport, then this means CIC can totally argue your Refugee status and revoke your Refugee and PR. This CAN happen. Anytime, I travel back to Canada, I have to go have a 5 min interview with the immigration in the airport explaining where I went and if I used my national passport. Good luck with not having an ! mark by your name.

The other thing, NO. Immigration returns your national passport upon request after being accepted as a refugee. I had my passport returned to me after I got my Refugee status. I never used it but I had it. I had to send it back when I applied for Travel Document. Also, you don't need to send it back if it is expired. Please make sure to not give false information.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Sim93 said:
Please can anybody talk about his experiences traveling to germany and europe i have a canadian refugee travel document and pr card i checked the german embassy its written that i can go to germany without visa my question is can i visit to switzerland through germany? or should i optain a visa to visit switzerland after visiting germany? Regards
You can travel to Germany without a visa. However, these days there are border checks so you need a Schengen Visa if you are travelling anywhere else. Everytime I go to Europe I get a Schengen visa and never had any problem. So far have been to more than 10 countries.

The only exceptions are Iceland, Norway, Spain, and Portugal. They don't recognize Canada Refugee Travel Document as a valid document.

Also you can travel to Slovenia and Slovakia without visa. However, make notes if you are travelling by land or plane of the countries along.

Hope this helps.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Update - Mexico does NOT need a visa if you use Travel Document + PR Card. I recently traveled to Mexico with my Travel Document which only had one month before getting expired. No problem.[/size][/size][/size]

Babatee84

Dec 27, 2016
I will like to travel to Canada to work, please what are the documents that I need. that will make it easy for me and will not take too much money from me

Sim93

Dec 3, 2016
Thankk you alott so im gonna apply for visa ..enjoy your holiday my friend ..you really helped me alott

New-Immi

Jan 11, 2014
Just wanna share useful info here!

For those who got Refugee travel documents, You can transit through London UK & Frankfort Germany with no transit visas needed.( when you have connection flight to other country)

This is from my own experience 100%.

Hopefully helps .

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
New-Immi said:
Just wanna share useful info here!

For those who got Refugee travel documents, You can transit through London UK & Frankfort Germany with no transit visas needed.( when you have connection flight to other country)

This is from my own experience 100%.

Hopefully helps .
thanks for this info but let me to tell you even if you want to visit Germany RTD you dont need visa.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LoveCanada10 said:
Finally found it: Go here http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/index_en.htm and then first under info. Direct URL is: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/document-security/docs/part_i_travel_documents_issued_by_third_countries_and_territorial_entities_en.xlsm

It seems NORWAY accepts our RTD.

Only below do not accept RTD in Schengen Zone:

Spain
Latvia
Iceland
Malta

This is awesome news. I am going to go to Norway this year.

Anyone else active here?
do they still need the permanent card with the visa?

Sim93

Dec 3, 2016
Thank you so much guys for this useful infos plz share your experiences traveling to germany and europe with RTD it helps alot of people ..

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
I do have a canadian refugee travel document and very soon I'll have my PR and my expired passport with my USA visa.

Question is; if I will travel to USA with my RTD can I show my USA visa in my expired national passport?

Can I travel to Amsterdam without a visa using my RTD?

Thanks for the reply.

hattabfj

Jun 20, 2016
Newboy01 said:
I do have a canadian refugee travel document and very soon I'll have my PR and my expired passport with my USA visa.

Question is; if I will travel to USA with my RTD can I show my USA visa in my expired national passport?

Can I travel to Amsterdam without a visa using my RTD?

Thanks for the reply.
Can you keep your RTD and your national passport with you at the same time?!

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Update: Anyone can travel to Croatia without a Visa by holding a valid Travel Document. [/size][/size]

URL: http://www.mvep.hr/files/file/2015/uredba-o-viznom-nn-55-2015-en.pdf

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
hattabfj said:
Can you keep your RTD and your national passport with you at the same time?!
for what I know, you can keep it both but only your RTD is what you can use to travel outside the country.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Newboy01 said:
for what I know, you can keep it both but only your RTD is what you can use to travel outside the country.
You can't keep both. If your national passport is still valid it will be kept by Passport Canada.