+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Refugees and Asylum' started by rainbowbee, Feb 8, 2016.

1. I totally agree with you.
    I'm just planning in advance in case of emergency only.

2. Ok. You are not totally wrong but 90%. A Refugee is allowed to use their national passport. However, using national passport means accepting protection from national country while abroad. Whom do you contact if you lose your passport while out of Canada? Whom do you contact if you need help after a natural disaster? Well, you contact the embassy of whichever country you used entering the foreign country. If you don't mind getting protection from your embassy and in case you need to get a new passport after a lost or stolen passport, then this means CIC can totally argue your Refugee status and revoke your Refugee and PR. This CAN happen. Anytime, I travel back to Canada, I have to go have a 5 min interview with the immigration in the airport explaining where I went and if I used my national passport. Good luck with not having an ! mark by your name.

The other thing, NO. Immigration returns your national passport upon request after being accepted as a refugee. I had my passport returned to me after I got my Refugee status. I never used it but I had it. I had to send it back when I applied for Travel Document. Also, you don't need to send it back if it is expired. Please make sure to not give false information.

3. You can travel to Germany without a visa. However, these days there are border checks so you need a Schengen Visa if you are travelling anywhere else. Everytime I go to Europe I get a Schengen visa and never had any problem. So far have been to more than 10 countries.

The only exceptions are Iceland, Norway, Spain, and Portugal. They don't recognize Canada Refugee Travel Document as a valid document.

Also you can travel to Slovenia and Slovakia without visa. However, make notes if you are travelling by land or plane of the countries along.

Hope this helps.

4. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Update - Mexico does NOT need a visa if you use Travel Document + PR Card. I recently traveled to Mexico with my Travel Document which only had one month before getting expired. No problem.[/size][/size][/size]

5. I will like to travel to Canada to work, please what are the documents that I need. that will make it easy for me and will not take too much money from me

6. Thankk you alott so im gonna apply for visa ..enjoy your holiday my friend ..you really helped me alott

7. Just wanna share useful info here!

For those who got Refugee travel documents, You can transit through London UK & Frankfort Germany with no transit visas needed.( when you have connection flight to other country)

This is from my own experience 100%.

Hopefully helps .

8. thanks for this info but let me to tell you even if you want to visit Germany RTD you dont need visa.

9. do they still need the permanent card with the visa?

10. Thank you so much guys for this useful infos plz share your experiences traveling to germany and europe with RTD it helps alot of people ..

11. I do have a canadian refugee travel document and very soon I'll have my PR and my expired passport with my USA visa.

Question is; if I will travel to USA with my RTD can I show my USA visa in my expired national passport?

Can I travel to Amsterdam without a visa using my RTD?

Thanks for the reply.

12. Can you keep your RTD and your national passport with you at the same time?!

13. [size=10pt][size=10pt]Update: Anyone can travel to Croatia without a Visa by holding a valid Travel Document. [/size][/size]

URL: http://www.mvep.hr/files/file/2015/uredba-o-viznom-nn-55-2015-en.pdf

14. for what I know, you can keep it both but only your RTD is what you can use to travel outside the country.

15. You can't keep both. If your national passport is still valid it will be kept by Passport Canada.