+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

stanadyne114

Aug 10, 2015
You have to apply to Passport CANADA in Gatineau Quebec. You will have to submit similar documents when you first applied for RTD and that you have to also include your current RTD. Processing time is 20 business days.

seanwae

Mar 16, 2017
LoveCanada10 said:
Thanks Ranbowbee. You did a great job providing this very important and accurate information. I'll try to translate it to Arabic so the Arab community can benefit from it too (after your permission).

Now, I'd suggest we use this post to share our travel experience using our Travel Document. I'll be the first to share hoping others jump on board too.

I got mine last year for 2 years too. I am still not a PR. I applied for Schengen Visa and had to travel to Ottawa for the finger print to get my visa. I received the visa by mail in 2 weeks.

I traveled by air to Germany and cleared Schengen Zone with no issue. Then I traveled all around Germany using different transportation methods. I flew to Czech Republic. Rode a bus to Poland. Mini bus to Slovenia. Another bus to Hungary. Slovenia-Hungary border was the only border, they came on the bus and checked passports. Speed train from Hungary to Austria. Train from Austria to Switzerland. Train to the Netherlands. Bus to Belgium. Fly back to Canada. All went very smooth with no issue.

I might be able to try different European countries again this year. However, I am thinking of going without Schengen Visa this time to save $ but don't think the risk/reward worth it specially with all the Migration issues in Europe.

Let's hear from the others.
From which country did you apply for the Schengen visa? Since Germany doesn't require it for entry, so it doesn't issue visas on the RTD and it looks like you had no base country.

Thanks.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Just an update I received.

All Schengen countries except Greece now accept Refugees Travel Document. This is confirmed 100%.

You still need a visa except Germany and 2 other countries.

raddington

Mar 29, 2017
Hi guys,

I am convention refugee and I got my RTD but I am not PR yet. I read all the messages, I see that we can go to germany without visa what are the other countries we can go without visa @LoveCanada10? Do we have an updated list somewhere? I am also considering to apply for france visa but what are my chances without a job and funds?

Thanks

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
I don't think there is any updated list anywhere. Maybe that's a good project for someone to do :)
I am not sure what other countries can be visited without visa if no PR. Also that depends on the nationality.

For Schengen visa, you need to provide bunch of documents including proof of sufficient fund. When I applied I got a letter from my work and also printed my bank statement and provide my credit card statement. No one can tell you if they will give you visa or not until you apply and see how it goes.

Good luck

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I have been asked this question via messages. So far I can confirm below European countries accept Travel Document issued by Canada (Without a PR) with no Schengen visa:

1. Germany (All of you know)!
2. Hungry
3. Slovenia

I checked all the countries web site. I think there is another one which I missed. If anyone knows, please let us know.

Thanks
[/size][/size][/size]

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
From Caribbean countries I can confirm below countries don't need visa for Travel document holders + PR Card:

1. Cuba
2. Dominican Republic

Jamaica NEEDS visa (If you nationality needs visa).

Saint Lucia does NOT accept Travel Document.

Cayman Islands NEEDS visa (If your nationality needs visa).

Please add if you have more information.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Update - Anyone traveling to the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands DO NOT need a visa if having a PR card regardless of using Travel Document or National passport. I confirmed with the embassy.

Aruba
Curaçao
Sint Maarten
Bonaire
Sint Eustatius
Saba

http://canada.nlembassy.org/shared/products-and-services/products-and-services/visa---dutch-cari

free_palestinian

Star Member
May 4, 2016
supergir11 said:
Has anyone tried applying for a visa to either Egypt or Jordan?
I did apply for a visa to Egypt about 3 years ago
03 2014
you have to send an application with copies of you travel document and your pr or the notice of decision and your bank statement .
they have to get a clearance from the interior ministry in Cairo
once they have that they will issue the visa
it took me about 3 week
the staff was really nice and understanding

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
if you are PR of Canada you do not need visa to Mexico , but if you have only Canadian refugee travel document without PR you do need visa to Mexico
and Bahamas and Panama are same as Mexico.
https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php/en/notices/11506-entryrequirements

Grilka

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NO help from Government if you RTD is lost outside of Canada

Thank you for the info on RTD, Rainbowbee.

I wonder if you discussed with Canadian officials what would happen to a refugee if his Refugee Travel Document is lost or stolen during travel outside of Canada? Is their Government body that would be protecting refugee's rights and safety outside of Canada?

I am in this situation. So far it's been grim. I have contacted ALL Government services that deal with Canadians abroad, including consulates - the answer is "You do not meet requirements for help, because you are a refugee, not a citizen." At the moment I can't proceed with my journey and can not return back to Canada because no airline would let me board without RTD. Even if I was to walk across US/Canadian border it is not guarantied that I would be let into Canada. The decision would be up to CBSA officer.

I would appreciate any relevant information.

To any refugee who is planning on traveling outside of Canada: do not be mistaken thinking that Government of Canada will help you abroad if you loose your Travel Document or find yourself in an emergency situation. They will not! Because you are NOT a Canadian citizens. I learned that with my own skin. I am traveling with my Canadian spouse (Canadian citizen) and they still refuse to assist.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: NO help from Government if you RTD is lost outside of Canada

Grilka said:
Thank you for the info on RTD, Rainbowbee.

I wonder if you discussed with Canadian officials what would happen to a refugee if his Refugee Travel Document is lost or stolen during travel outside of Canada? Is their Government body that would be protecting refugee's rights and safety outside of Canada?

I am in this situation. So far it's been grim. I have contacted ALL Government services that deal with Canadians abroad, including consulates - the answer is "You do not meet requirements for help, because you are a refugee, not a citizen." At the moment I can't proceed with my journey and can not return back to Canada because no airline would let me board without RTD. Even if I was to walk across US/Canadian border it is not guarantied that I would be let into Canada. The decision would be up to CBSA officer.

I would appreciate any relevant information.

To any refugee who is planning on traveling outside of Canada: do not be mistaken thinking that Government of Canada will help you abroad if you loose your Travel Document or find yourself in an emergency situation. They will not! Because you are NOT a Canadian citizens. I learned that with my own skin. I am traveling with my Canadian spouse (Canadian citizen) and they still refuse to assist.
Do you have a PR card?