+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
Hello guys, I got my permanent residence today and I changed my SIN right after my interview :) the thing is, they returned back my national passport that was about to expire on June 17, 2017. And I also have my refugee travel document with me. Shall I will send my national passport to passport Canada or my refugee travel document?

By the way, after my interview the immigration officer congratulate me for getting my PR. And she asked me if I have some questions to her, the first thing I ask if I can travel to USA using my national passport and she says "yes" there will be no problem with that, only you are prohibited to travel to your home country.

Then I asked her what passport do I need to surrender because it's not allowed to have both, she told me depends and also your national passport is already expiring on June.

So now I'm thinking if do I have to surrender my national passport or I'll just keep it both my RTD and soon to expire passport?

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
Vnmgirl said:
Congratulations on your PR! You must be happy :)

Thanks Vnmgirl, now I can breath good and no need to check the status of my PR application LOL. I think I will miss doing that' checking my PR status 3x a day. LOL.

Someone says that, from the day you applied for your PR till the day you get your PR that is counted for one year out of 3 years of entitlemen to apply for Canadian passport. So if that is true I just need to wait for 2 more years so I can apply for Canadian citizenship :)

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Newboy01 said:
Hello guys, I got my permanent residence today and I changed my SIN right after my interview :) the thing is, they returned back my national passport that was about to expire on June 17, 2017. And I also have my refugee travel document with me. Shall I will send my national passport to passport Canada or my refugee travel document?

By the way, after my interview the immigration officer congratulate me for getting my PR. And she asked me if I have some questions to her, the first thing I ask if I can travel to USA using my national passport and she says "yes" there will be no problem with that, only you are prohibited to travel to your home country.

Then I asked her what passport do I need to surrender because it's not allowed to have both, she told me depends and also your national passport is already expiring on June.

So now I'm thinking if do I have to surrender my national passport or I'll just keep it both my RTD and soon to expire passport?
Congs, No you do not have to send your national passport to them because they gonna send you back again, i apply my RTD tow months before my national passport got expire but in tow weeks they sent me RTD and in same envelope they send me back my national passport, so you Ok to keep your passport but dont renew it! until you get your citizenship

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
canadatraveldocument said:
Congs, No you do not have to send your national passport to them because they gonna send you back again, i apply my RTD tow months before my national passport got expire but in tow weeks they sent me RTD and in same envelope they send me back my national passport, so you Ok to keep your passport but dont renew it! until you get your citizenship
Thank you for your reply. :) I'm planning to renew my RTD because it's only 2 years but now I'm a PR so I'm eligible to get RTD with 5 years validity, I would like to apply for USA visa and schengen visa. But with my current RTD it will expire by next year, so it is possible to renew my RTD to get the 5 years validity even though it still valid till September 2018?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
I applied for my 2nd travel document in person 3 weeks ago and I was supposed to get a call to pick up today. Instead of that call, I received a letter asking me to provide proof that I don't have my National passport. Stupid agents didn't even check anything before asking this question. They have my passport themselves. I gave my passport when I applied for my first travel document. There is no phone number to contact any officer other than the toll-free number which I called twice today but they say they can't help.
I used the web form to submit my clarification but I don't have hopes on that. I might just drive hours to get to Ottawa and see what this stupid employees think. They have 0 idea what they are doing!! They could easily just check my file to see that they have my national passport.

I have vacation booked for family next week but still no travel document. Maybe I should have just asked for my original passport without bothering with this stupid situation!!

rahanita

May 3, 2017
Hi everyone!

First of all i wanna say thank u for whoever started this post it helped me a lot. I almost made a very big mistake. I almost requested my national passport back from CIC. BIG mistake. I think I understand the whole RTD and protected person now ( as much as we all can ) But I still have one more question. I understand we need visas with the RTD but do u apply for visas because of the RTD or because of ur nationality? Exemple: I am from Hungary which is part of Schengen and the EU. So everywhere I go in Europe should be easy and free, right? but do i have to get a schengen visa just because of my RTD? or can I just go without any visa because of my nationality?

This part isnt very clear still. Same as the US as a hungarian i dont need a visa i would only need an ESTA but i cant get that without my national passport, so Do i have to get a B1 visa for my RTD?

If anyone has any experience in travelling to Europe as a european with the RTD pls let me know. Or anyone who knows more about this.

Thanks very much!

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahanita said:
Hi everyone!

First of all i wanna say thank u for whoever started this post it helped me a lot. I almost made a very big mistake. I almost requested my national passport back from CIC. BIG mistake. I think I understand the whole RTD and protected person now ( as much as we all can ) But I still have one more question. I understand we need visas with the RTD but do u apply for visas because of the RTD or because of ur nationality? Exemple: I am from Hungary which is part of Schengen and the EU. So everywhere I go in Europe should be easy and free, right? but do i have to get a schengen visa just because of my RTD? or can I just go without any visa because of my nationality?

This part isnt very clear still. Same as the US as a hungarian i dont need a visa i would only need an ESTA but i cant get that without my national passport, so Do i have to get a B1 visa for my RTD?

If anyone has any experience in travelling to Europe as a european with the RTD pls let me know. Or anyone who knows more about this.

Thanks very much!
Hi:
To my understanding your passport determine your nationality unless you hold national ID from your origin country. But, even though you will still have to provide the RTD when you go to through custom in airport. There was a post about places to visit without asking for visa, but you will have to check each and every country you’re going to visit if they accept RTD without visa. Otherwise you will need to obtain visa prior to your travel. I know Germany accept RTD without visa.

rahanita

May 3, 2017
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hi:
To my understanding your passport determine your nationality unless you hold national ID from your origin country. But, even though you will still have to provide the RTD when you go to through custom in airport. There was a post about places to visit without asking for visa, but you will have to check each and every country you’re going to visit if they accept RTD without visa. Otherwise you will need to obtain visa prior to your travel. I know Germany accept RTD without visa.
Thanks very much. Just to make sure id better contact the embassies.

supergir11

Feb 21, 2017
Hi All,

Am applying for RTD but I have few questions if you could help me out please
1)Documents to Support Identity: as a convection refugee what supporting id should i include since I surrendered all to IRB once I applied for a refugee claim?and if I just need copies would my passport copy be sufficient?
2)Declaration of Guarantor
"be included in one (1) of the following groups: Dentist, medical doctor or chiropractor, Judge, magistrate or police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP), Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), or notary in Quebec, Mayor, Minister of religion authorized under provincial or territorial law to perform marriages
..) only the guarantor should be from the list above no other person with different occupation can be the guarantor?

belch

May 9, 2017
Hi, does anyone have any experience travelling to asian countries with RTD?
Like singapore, malaysia, thailand indonesia. Please help me out

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
Hi All,

Am applying for RTD but I have few questions if you could help me out please
1)Documents to Support Identity: as a convection refugee what supporting id should i include since I surrendered all to IRB once I applied for a refugee claim?and if I just need copies would my passport copy be sufficient?
2)Declaration of Guarantor
"be included in one (1) of the following groups: Dentist, medical doctor or chiropractor, Judge, magistrate or police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP), Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), or notary in Quebec, Mayor, Minister of religion authorized under provincial or territorial law to perform marriages
..) only the guarantor should be from the list above no other person with different occupation can be the guarantor?

When I applied for my RTD, the supporting identity I submited was my refugee document, passport original copy with the immigration officer stamp and signature the letter of the decision from IRB, you need to submit all originals and they will send it back to you together with your RTD.

Then I asked my family doctor to be my guarantor and she didn't hesitate to fill and sign it. :) before two months I got everything RTD and my original documents.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi, does anyone have any experience travelling to asian countries with RTD?
Like singapore, malaysia, thailand indonesia. Please help me out

I have traveled to malaysia with RTD... i was there for one month... came back without any problem.. my transit was in china.. got Chinese transit visa on arrival to china.. I've applied for Malaysian tourist visa via post. Visa fees was $10. Got visa within a week. Traveled with china southern airlines on 27 dec 2016. Came back 27 jan 2017. I work full time no social assistace...

Last edited:

chris_ag

Mar 11, 2017
I want to apply for RTD but I don't know anyone that could be my guarantor to sign the form ...
as it mentioned in the application form " if you don't have a guarantor " you can fill out another form in the passport office but that would make the process time longer ..
Does anyone had experience with that ?

Maryamfaisal

May 18, 2017
So I didn't know about that and nobody told me
I travelled to s third country with my national passport and i am a permit resident I claimed as a refugee before tow years
What I have to do now