+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
i got refugee status in january 2019 and apply for pr in feb 2019
i need to go to australia in june
so my question is can i travel outside canada with just rtd and notice of decesion?
yes you can, just make sure you can enter Australia with your RTD.

mohamadz

Mar 21, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm refugee and I got my PR finally yesterday, I crossed illegally to Canada from USA, I had a valid visitor visa to US that time.
My question : I want to apply for USA visa, using my RTD & PR.
Is there anyone have a same experience?
Do I have chance to get a visa?
Hello, I still waiting for my PR , when did you apply for it ? i applied on march 2018 and till today no information Thanks

@GodIsGreat

Mar 23, 2019
Cuba is GOOD to GO with RTD - NO VISA REQUIRED

Someone's Experience going to Cuba:

Mar 22, 2016

Yes, I made it. I was going to Santa Clara, Cuba. I had a ticket from Airtransat, their employees at the airport told me that they let me go out from Canada but I must have Canada visa from Havana when I am back to Canada. The Airtransat asked me to sign a paper to confirm that all responsibility is on myself. I signed that paper and went Cuba.

When I arrived in Cuba, another employee of Airtransat at Cuba airport called me and showed me the paper I had signed in Toronto and said you do not need to go to anywhere for Canada visa, your travel document is your passport. Everyone was respecting me as a Canadian. I happily finished my vacation in Cuba and became back to Toronto.

There was not any problem when I came back. The immigration officer at Pearson airport said welcome home.

A trave document is your passport. Enjoy your vacation anywhere you want.

Thanks
Can the RTD take me to east African countries too?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hello Everyone.
i have plan to travel to Germany with my RTD . my final destination also is Germany .

as you know Germany no need visa for RTD holder, but my question is can i have a flight have stopped in Reykjavik Iceland) ? or any Other EU Country Like France? DO I need a transit visa ?
Yes you do need a Schengen visa. It is documented specifically on the German consulate web site. The good news, Schengen visa from Iceland / Denmark which you apply for through Danish embassy is FREE.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i got refugee status in january 2019 and apply for pr in feb 2019
i need to go to australia in june
so my question is can i travel outside canada with just rtd and notice of decesion?
Most protected people will need a visa on top of RTD. Would contact embassy before buying a ticket.

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
Hey guys I did my application to get my new RTD as permanent resident .. I did on February 19th in Gatineau , they check all my papers and I should received on March 19th ... so today March 25th I received a letter from them saying that:

We refer to your application for travel document.

Inform us whether you are in possession of any valid or expired travel document or passport from any country . if you are, the original document must be submitted to the office for examination. if the passport you used to enter Canada is in the possession of Immigration authorities , prove us the NOTICE OF SEIZURE from immigration , Refugees and Citizenship Canada . A copy of the passport that has been certified by an Immigration official , confirming that the original has been seized , would also be acceptable.

When sending back the requested information , please ensure that you inform this office of any change in your mailing address , sign your letter and quote your application number XXXXXXXXXX .

Yours Sincerely.

Certificate of Identity
Passport Program
Immigration , Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Ottawa , Canada K1A-1L2

Ok now continuing with mi post , I'm so mad with this people , everything should be on the system , I dont have my old passport because it was seize at the by the officer , so why they didn't check all the requirement , so now I will have to go to Gatineau , lost a day work with not pay ...

the first time that I did my application for the RTD ( for 2 years ) they didn't ask for it?

is a lot of bureaucracy that I never expect in the first world! ( in my own country yes a lot of bureaucracy , corruption )

anyway in two days ill be going to Gatineau to see what else they want!! if any of you guys , pass through this , please be free to share your experience. thanks!

wishing a nice week to everyone!!

Alberto

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
My mom’s and brothers’ travel document were sent on Jan. 15, 2019 and after a whole month exactly on Feb. 15, 2019, they received a letter from IRCC asking them about the city and country where they were born (even though they had stated that in the application).

My family wrote letters and singed them with a copy of their passports and sent them on Feb. 17, 2019. They are still waiting until now. Hopefully by the 17th of March, they receive it.

I have the same problem , did you sent the copy to the address that was at the bottom of the letter?

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hi, everyone. I applied for travel document 2 weeks ago in person express and yesterday was the day for picking up it. Do you think I need to confirm if my travel document is ready to be collected, before I go?

Looking forward to hearing from you

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
I had USA visa on my original passport, how to mention previous visa details as now I will be applying at RTD?
have you found solution of this. I have same issue if you have valid US Visa on your home country passport and you dont have that passport only copy of valid visa. How it is going to help you with your travel to US with RPD. Even that passport having valid US Visa is expired and seized by immigration Canada.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
In the process of applying for a visit visa to Trukey with my RTD, they require medical insurance in the pre-application visa.

Anyone was successful for obtaining a visa to Turkey with RTD & can advice please?

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
In the process of applying for a visit visa to Trukey with my RTD, they require medical insurance in the pre-application visa.

Anyone was successful for obtaining a visa to Turkey with RTD & can advice please?
I’ve applied a few days ago you must prepare the required documents and it may take 5 or 6 weeks to get Turkey Visa. You should have medical insurance.

Best of luck

Reactions: live&love