+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
My mom’s and brothers’ travel document were sent on Jan. 15, 2019 and after a whole month exactly on Feb. 15, 2019, they received a letter from IRCC asking them about the city and country where they were born (even though they had stated that in the application).

My family wrote letters and singed them with a copy of their passports and sent them on Feb. 17, 2019. They are still waiting until now. Hopefully by the 17th of March, they receive it.

Reactions: Albertooo

GioReyes94

Oct 21, 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s really bad news as I have a big family in U.S , anyway, Just I need to know if you got your PR os you still a protected Person?
I know, I was really sad since I also live 5 minutes away from the border and can't cross, but well, I guess I will go to Europe again like last year, and yeah, I applied with a PR card, protected persons probably get the visa all the time, but someone like us that crossed the border from the US, I think it's really hard, I had to try but failed and wasted 300$ in that process :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know, I was really sad since I also live 5 minutes away from the border and can't cross, but well, I guess I will go to Europe again like last year, and yeah, I applied with a PR card, protected persons probably get the visa all the time, but someone like us that crossed the border from the US, I think it's really hard, I had to try but failed and wasted 300$ in that process :(
Many protected people are denied visas to the US. Yes there are consequences for crossing over an official border but you were lucky to receive asylum when many have crossed and have been refused.

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
If I can recall correctly, a Convention refugee only needs an RTD and the letter from IRB confirming that they are a refugee.
However once you become a P.R you need your P.R Card along with your RTD when travelling.

What happens if you travel without your P.R card?

Can someone who understands this legally please respond?
Cheers

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
Hello Everyone.
i have plan to travel to Germany with my RTD . my final destination also is Germany .

as you know Germany no need visa for RTD holder, but my question is can i have a flight have stopped in Reykjavik Iceland) ? or any Other EU Country Like France? DO I need a transit visa ?

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
It seems this section has been ignored for a while, people are asking many questions and no one is answering them.

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Hello Everyone.
i have plan to travel to Germany with my RTD . my final destination also is Germany .

as you know Germany no need visa for RTD holder, but my question is can i have a flight have stopped in Reykjavik Iceland) ? or any Other EU Country Like France? DO I need a transit visa ?
yes you would need a visa if your flight is not direct to Germany.

Reactions: rowanlan

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
Hello? I am a protected person in canada not yet PR am from Burundi I want to travel to Kenya i have got RTD already but i wander if i can return back to canada using RTD or i have to apply for PRTD(permenent resident travel document) thanks so much for your help
You can't apply for a permanent resident travel document. Because you are not a permanent resident. But yes you can re-enter Canada with your RTD. Most likely you will be questioned by an officer regarding your trip. If you are not doing nothing wrong they will let you enter Canada again. I used my RTD a few days ago and that's what happened to me.

rockinglife786

May 24, 2015
i got refugee status in january 2019 and apply for pr in feb 2019
i need to go to australia in june
so my question is can i travel outside canada with just rtd and notice of decesion?

Reactions: Nasri4

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
i got refugee status in january 2019 and apply for pr in feb 2019
i need to go to australia in june
so my question is can i travel outside canada with just rtd and notice of decesion?
Hello,

Your case is same as mine, same time everything. Except that I already applied for RTD but still waiting for it , I applied for PR and RTD at the same time.

You can definitely travel once you get your RTD to all countries except your home country of course.

Some countries have regulations with a Canadian RTD but you just have to call the Embassy of the country and ask them if you would be allowed to travel to their country with the RTD or you actually need some other kind of documentation as well.

Good luck!