+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys I did my application to get my new RTD as permanent resident .. I did on February 19th in Gatineau , they check all my papers and I should received on March 19th ... so today March 25th I received a letter from them saying that:

We refer to your application for travel document.

Inform us whether you are in possession of any valid or expired travel document or passport from any country . if you are, the original document must be submitted to the office for examination. if the passport you used to enter Canada is in the possession of Immigration authorities , prove us the NOTICE OF SEIZURE from immigration , Refugees and Citizenship Canada . A copy of the passport that has been certified by an Immigration official , confirming that the original has been seized , would also be acceptable.

When sending back the requested information , please ensure that you inform this office of any change in your mailing address , sign your letter and quote your application number XXXXXXXXXX .

Yours Sincerely.

Certificate of Identity
Passport Program
Immigration , Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Ottawa , Canada K1A-1L2

Ok now continuing with mi post , I'm so mad with this people , everything should be on the system , I dont have my old passport because it was seize at the by the officer , so why they didn't check all the requirement , so now I will have to go to Gatineau , lost a day work with not pay ...

the first time that I did my application for the RTD ( for 2 years ) they didn't ask for it?

is a lot of bureaucracy that I never expect in the first world! ( in my own country yes a lot of bureaucracy , corruption )

anyway in two days ill be going to Gatineau to see what else they want!! if any of you guys , pass through this , please be free to share your experience. thanks!

wishing a nice week to everyone!!

Alberto
You have to realize you are dealing with different departments.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hi.. i need to apply a RTD (first time) please tell me whts the process and whats the eligibility?? I am currently receiving social assitance

3psilon3

Apr 15, 2018
Hello, Wow, you have been waiting longer than me. I sent my application on Febraury 10th and I haven’t received any letter or responses yet neither

Apparently the waiting time is 1 month. But reading your case is not everybody’s case.

I wish we could get it soon!

Can somebody else share their experience waiting for the RTD?

Thank you!!!

He
Hi,

We received if finally! it came a few days after I posted this message :) hope you received yours as well, if not hang in there, it should come soon.

3psilon3

Apr 15, 2018
Hello? I am a protected person in canada not yet PR am from Burundi I want to travel to Kenya i have got RTD already but i wander if i can return back to canada using RTD or i have to apply for PRTD(permenent resident travel document) thanks so much for your help
Hi,

I would wait for PR if I were you. There is a risk that the airline refuses you the right to board from Nairobi to Montreal...not worth risking to be honest.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
My family and I have RTD, and we are almost at final stages of applying for Turkey’s Visa that will be in July 2019.

Let me be honest with you guys, we are a bit worried about what we are gonna face at departure and return. Will go smooth with no problems? Or get stuck in the airport being rejected to board the flight to Canada? I have no idea.

Anyone with past experiences can advice please?

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hi all,

Anybody applied for RTD around January 20, 2019? How long did it take for you to receive it? We thought it would only take a month but we are still waiting :( Should we get worried?

Thank you in advance!
Hello.. can u plz tell how to aply for RTD and wats the eligibility?? What documents did u submit fr yr form and what if the person applying is receiving social assistance will they still get rtd???

3psilon3

Apr 15, 2018
Hello.. can u plz tell how to aply for RTD and wats the eligibility?? What documents did u submit fr yr form and what if the person applying is receiving social assistance will they still get rtd???
Hi there,

So to apply for RTD you have to be a received refugee meaning you have to be able to prove so with either your notice of decision or your PR card.

As for the documents to submit :

- A proof of your immigration status : Notice of decision and/or PR card (originals ONLY)

- A valid ID where you can find a picture of yourself, your name, sex and signature : a valid driving license or your medicare card should do it

- 2 pictures with the name and the complete address of the photographer and the date the photos was taken on the back of 1 picture

Then, you have to find a guarantor (to sign your application, the back of one of your passport photos and all photocopies of any supporting identity documents) and 2 references. They must have known you for at least 6 months (more on that if you follow this link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html )

And lastly, you should pay the fees – 120$ and send your application or head to Ottawa to make it in person (it’s faster).

You can find all this info in a more detailed fashion here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply.html

Oh, and yes, you can totally apply even if you receive social assistance as long as you are an accepted refugee

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Reactions: Skyline2019

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hi there,

So to apply for RTD you have to be a received refugee meaning you have to be able to prove so with either your notice of decision or your PR card.

As for the documents to submit :

- A proof of your immigration status : Notice of decision and/or PR card (originals ONLY)

- A valid ID where you can find a picture of yourself, your name, sex and signature : a valid driving license or your medicare card should do it

- 2 pictures with the name and the complete address of the photographer and the date the photos was taken on the back of 1 picture

Then, you have to find a guarantor (to sign your application, the back of one of your passport photos and all photocopies of any supporting identity documents) and 2 references. They must have known you for at least 6 months (more on that if you follow this link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html )

And lastly, you should pay the fees – 120$ and send your application or head to Ottawa to make it in person (it’s faster).

You can find all this info in a more detailed fashion here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply.html

Oh, and yes, you can totally apply even if you receive social assistance as long as you are an accepted refugee

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
Hi.. thnx for reply in detail... Can the form be submitted to service canada office??? And what about the ceased passport of my origin country are they going to ask for it ?? The passport is with cbsa ? The the seizure notice i had with is lost unfortunately

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hi, everyone.

For those who have Canadian RTD with U.S visa valid stamped on RTD. Can they apply for Turkish e-visa?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Khb

Apr 12, 2019
I have RTD , traveled to Germany and Mexico ,
I wanna apply for Schengen Visa , anyone has gotten Schengen Visa on RTD ? Which country is easier to apply , how long is the visa ?

Khb

Apr 12, 2019
Can you every share their experience with RTD ? How many countries have you traveled ? With visa and without

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hi,

I would wait for PR if I were you. There is a risk that the airline refuses you the right to board from Nairobi to Montreal...not worth risking to be honest.
For RTD application they are asking for the notice of decision (originAl) will they return the original copy or not??? Becuase iwant to keep it with me while traveling