+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

zoozi77

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017
Toronto
Hi
I'm permanent resident now and i got my home country passport back during the interview
My question is
If i apply for RTD will passport Canada
Seize my passport or it will be returned with RTD
THANKS

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi
I'm permanent resident now and i got my home country passport back during the interview
My question is
If i apply for RTD will passport Canada
Seize my passport or it will be returned with RTD
THANKS
Hi zoozi77,
Congrats on becoming a permanent resident! If your home country passport is still valid then it won't be returned as long as you have your RTD with you, the reason behind that is that you can't have your home country's passport and your RTD both being valid at the same time. Once it expires you can ask them to send it back.
Cheers!

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Greetings guys,

Lots of messages over here and very good information overall, I couldn’t find somebody that had talked about processing time? I sent my application for my RTD they already charged the fee to my Credit Card, but I haven’t receive anything yet!

If somebody could share the experience of how long it took for you to get your RTD mailed? Really appreciate it !!

I’m excited to think that I would be able to travel after a long time. Than you!!!!!!!

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Greetings guys,

Lots of messages over here and very good information overall, I couldn’t find somebody that had talked about processing time? I sent my application for my RTD they already charged the fee to my Credit Card, but I haven’t receive anything yet!

If somebody could share the experience of how long it took for you to get your RTD mailed? Really appreciate it !!

I’m excited to think that I would be able to travel after a long time. Than you!!!!!!!
One month & you’ll receive it in the mail.

Reactions: UnRefugiado

MerveF

Mar 2, 2019
Hello everyone!

As a being protected person I am waiting for my travel document now. I will be going to Cape Town, South Africa in September 2019. I have been looking for if there is any information that if I need visa for SA? I will be calling the embassy on Monday however is there any one knows that if I need visa?

Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone!

As a being protected person I am waiting for my travel document now. I will be going to Cape Town, South Africa in September 2019. I have been looking for if there is any information that if I need visa for SA? I will be calling the embassy on Monday however is there any one knows that if I need visa?

Thanks a lot!
Will depend on your country of origin

GioReyes94

Oct 21, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm refugee and I got my PR finally yesterday, I crossed illegally to Canada from USA, I had a valid visitor visa to US that time.
My question : I want to apply for USA visa, using my RTD & PR.
Is there anyone have a same experience?
Do I have chance to get a visa?
Hey, I have refugee travel document and came to Canada crossing the border illegally from the USA, I went 4 days ago yo get a visa since I wanted a vacation in Florida this year, my visa application was rejected and to be honest with you they were really rude and the person interviewing me said that I was not getting the visa since I crossed from there illegally and I misused the visa so my better chance from her words should be waiting until I become a Canadian citizen

3psilon3

Apr 15, 2018
Hi all,

Anybody applied for RTD around January 20, 2019? How long did it take for you to receive it? We thought it would only take a month but we are still waiting :( Should we get worried?

Thank you in advance!

Paul1986

Mar 8, 2019
Hello? I am a protected person in canada not yet PR am from Burundi I want to travel to Kenya i have got RTD already but i wander if i can return back to canada using RTD or i have to apply for PRTD(permenent resident travel document) thanks so much for your help

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Finally found it: Go here http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/index_en.htm and then first under info. Direct URL is: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/document-security/docs/part_i_travel_documents_issued_by_third_countries_and_territorial_entities_en.xlsm

It seems NORWAY accepts our RTD.

Only below do not accept RTD in Schengen Zone:

Spain
Latvia
Iceland
Malta

This is awesome news. I am going to go to Norway this year.

Anyone else active here?

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Finally found it: Go here http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/index_en.htm and then first under info. Direct URL is: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/document-security/docs/part_i_travel_documents_issued_by_third_countries_and_territorial_entities_en.xlsm

It seems NORWAY accepts our RTD.

Only below do not accept RTD in Schengen Zone:

Spain
Latvia
Iceland
Malta

This is awesome news. I am going to go to Norway this year.

Anyone else active here?
Hello,

I just would like to ask you how was your travels to Norway. I have a refugee status in Canada and I would like to trave to Norway this summer. Could you please tell me about all the steps you made until you got there. That would be very helpful!

diyaa

Jul 4, 2018
Hi all,

Anybody applied for RTD around January 20, 2019? How long did it take for you to receive it? We thought it would only take a month but we are still waiting :( Should we get worried?

Thank you in advance!
did you get it?

Mr.speaker

Sep 22, 2018
Hey, I have refugee travel document and came to Canada crossing the border illegally from the USA, I went 4 days ago yo get a visa since I wanted a vacation in Florida this year, my visa application was rejected and to be honest with you they were really rude and the person interviewing me said that I was not getting the visa since I crossed from there illegally and I misused the visa so my better chance from her words should be waiting until I become a Canadian citizen
Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s really bad news as I have a big family in U.S , anyway, Just I need to know if you got your PR os you still a protected Person?

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Hello, Wow, you have been waiting longer than me. I sent my application on Febraury 10th and I haven’t received any letter or responses yet neither

Apparently the waiting time is 1 month. But reading your case is not everybody’s case.

I wish we could get it soon!

Can somebody else share their experience waiting for the RTD?

Thank you!!!

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!
He

Reactions: 3psilon3