+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re: visitor visa rejected - "other reasons" ?

AjPS

Apr 7, 2017
AjPS said:
@Bryanna
I just need to confirm if a 3-week trip to visit family in Canada "usual" or should I plan an even shorter visit? Also, for my invitation letter from host in Canada, do I need to give their financial details as well??, as I had submitted their letter and passport, residence permit but given my financial details only, as I estimated that would suffice for the visa application.
Trip reduced from 6 weeks to 3.
What documents should I provide in total:

Already submitted and will re-submit:
  • My passport (Indiana address proof, travel history)
  • My 4 months bank statements
  • My work payslips
  • My Flight bookings
  • photo
  • Invitation Letter from host in Canada
  • Host's passport and residence permit (Canada).
  • Supporting letter, from me, detailing my trip.

What more should I submit when I re-apply this week, for example:
  • A letter from my employer (company) stating that I work for them in my current position and this can be verified if needed? Should this company letter be more specific, i.e., detail my job responsibilities, the period of my trip noting leave granted for that period.
  • Financial details of host in Canada??

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with the others. You have not provided adequate evidence of your ties to India.

Shortening the visit may not help much if you do not address all the reasons for the refusal. In your case, your cousin can apply for GCMS notes.

1. Your employment is one reason to return home.

However, (if for example) your current employment does not pay reasonably well. Or if you were hired fairly recently by your current employer then the visa officer has concerns that your employment is not a compelling reason to return.

2. Your UK visa was for a long stay i.e Student Visa. A Singapore visit does not add anything to travel history.

3. What other ties do you have: Dependent family members? Do you own property or have a lease in your name? Financial situation without borrowing from anyone?

AjPS

Apr 7, 2017
Bryanna said:
I agree with the others. You have not provided adequate evidence of your ties to India.

Shortening the visit may not help much if you do not address all the reasons for the refusal. In your case, your cousin can apply for GCMS notes.
1. Your employment is one reason to return home.

However, (if for example) your current employment does not pay reasonably well. Or if you were hired fairly recently by your current employer then the visa officer has concerns that your employment is not a compelling reason to return.

2. Your UK visa was for a long stay i.e Student Visa. A Singapore visit does not add anything to travel history.

3. What other ties do you have: Dependent family members? Do you own property or have a lease in your name? Financial situation without borrowing from anyone?
I mentioned in the family form that my parents live in India and my brother is settled in UK. My parents own our family home but I live in a rented accommodation, as I am working in another city. I can attach its rental agreement if needed. What other documents can I use to show my ties to India?

Regarding travel history, what can I do about this then? Make it an even shorter trip to Canada?

Financial: I gave my bank statements which showed I had well over the required savings for a 6 week trip, assuming $1k CAD per week, plus had my flight already booked and paid.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
What other documents can I use to show my ties to India?
Do re-read this entire thread carefully. Several suggestions have already been given + we can help if you provide more information/reply to the questions asked.

To reiterate: Shortening the visit to 3 weeks will not help if you do not address the refusal reasons + demonstrate stronger ties to India.

Financials: If you had borrowed money/bank balance was inflated before applying/funds available do not match your declared income then this is another reason for a refusal.

CAD 1,000 per week of visit is only a guesstimate. And, it's not advisable to book tickets before visas are issued

AjPS

Apr 7, 2017
Bryanna said:
Do re-read this entire thread carefully. Several suggestions have already been given + we can help if you provide more information/reply to the questions asked.
To reiterate: Shortening the visit to 3 weeks will not help if you do not address the refusal reasons + demonstrate stronger ties to India.
Financials: If you had borrowed money/bank balance was inflated before applying/funds available do not match your declared income then this is another reason for a refusal.
CAD 1,000 per week of visit is only a guesstimate. And, it's not advisable to book tickets before visas are issued
Thanks @Bryanna . I am just unsure about trip duration. I can go through the thread, re-reading again to ensure I didn't miss anything.
I understand that I haven't taken a long overseas holiday such as this one in the past but that's because I didn't have a similar travel opportunity. I returned home after finishing my Masters in UK and since then, have been busy working, save for the occasional small trip within India (and 1 in Singapore).
However, given my cousin and his family invited me to Canada, I planned on getting enough time (3 weeks) to meet them and do sightseeing as well. I can explain that in my supporting letter with my application.

To demonstrate stronger ties, I can add to my application: passport copies of my parents to serve as their address proof (which is our family home) plus rental agreement of my apartment, which I hadn't included in my rejected application.

Also, I'll hold off on booking the flights until the visa application is processed, thanks. However, if I write the exact dates of my stay in Canada in the form (which will be 3 weeks in total) how much minimum duration is the visa issued for (those 3 weeks or longer, eg, 3-6 months like UK, Singapore tourist visas.

I do not have any dependants and don't own my own property yet but do have detailed bank statements showing a string financial situation, without borrowing from anyone.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I understand that I haven't taken a long overseas holiday such as this one in the past but that's because I didn't have a similar travel opportunity. I returned home after finishing my Masters in UK and since then, have been busy working, save for the occasional small trip within India (and 1 in Singapore).
However, given my cousin and his family invited me to Canada, I planned on getting enough time (3 weeks) to meet them and do sightseeing as well. I can explain that in my supporting letter with my application.
Quite honestly, the visa officer is unconcerned why you need a 3-weeks holiday. S/he is more interested in why you will return to India. And so far (in this thread), your case doesn't seem convincing enough for a TRV approval.

Your application must address these questions (with evidence):
1. Why not another holiday in Singapore (for example) which is easily accessible, less expensive, no visa hassles, tourist/leisure-friendly? Why Canada?

2. If Canada is your holiday destination then what do you plan to do during your visit? Do you have a well-thought out plan?

3. Do you have the funds to afford your visit + airfare? If mid-way through your Canada holiday you decide to travel to another city, do your finances cover accommodation/hotels without depending on your cousin?

4. Will your employer allow you to take 3-weeks off work? Can someone else do your work? Or are you the only one who can do the work you do?

5. Since how long have you been working at your current workplace?

6. Do you have a critical work-related commitment which makes it necessary for you to return by a specific date?

7. Is the rent agreement only on your name? Or is it shared accommodation? Will you forfeit the deposit if you do not return? Can you prove rent payments for the last 2-3 months?

8. Do your parents depend on you financially? Do you pay for any of their expenses/insurance?

9. Your parents' property + copies of their passports will not help your application.

10. Do you have a valid UK visa? If yes, would you stop in the UK on your return trip after your Canada visit?

11. Do you have financial investments? For example, FDs, RDs, shares, mutual funds, PPF, EPF, etc? If yes, are these locked-in or can be liquidated, if required?

AjPS

Apr 7, 2017
Thanks.
Bryanna said:
Quite honestly, the visa officer is unconcerned why you need a 3-weeks holiday. S/he is more interested in why you will return to India. And so far (in this thread), your case doesn't seem convincing enough for a TRV approval.

Your application must address these questions (with evidence):
1. Why not another holiday in Singapore (for example) which is easily accessible, less expensive, no visa hassles, tourist/leisure-friendly? Why Canada?
I can address this in my letter. I chose Canada as I have extended family there who have been inviting me for quite some time and I chose to take this opportunity. I agree Singapore is closer, no visa hassles which is why it's relatively easier to visit which is why I wanted to do a longer holiday for Canada, as it's a harder opportunity to come by.

2. If Canada is your holiday destination then what do you plan to do during your visit? Do you have a well-thought out plan?
Yes, I am detailing points of interest and places I'll be sightseeing in the letter.

3. Do you have the funds to afford your visit + airfare? If mid-way through your Canada holiday you decide to travel to another city, do your finances cover accommodation/hotels without depending on your cousin?
Yes, the financial documents will indicate this. I am including more documents this time, of my FD's, RD's, etc.

4. Will your employer allow you to take 3-weeks off work? Can someone else do your work? Or are you the only one who can do the work you do?
Yes, I have company letter granting me leave for that time which I can attach with the application.

5. Since how long have you been working at your current workplace?
Around 1.5 years now, and have saved up on my leave's for a vacation like this.

6. Do you have a critical work-related commitment which makes it necessary for you to return by a specific date?
My leave is for only 3 weeks after which I have to return to my job.

7. Is the rent agreement only on your name? Or is it shared accommodation? Will you forfeit the deposit if you do not return? Can you prove rent payments for the last 2-3 months?
The rent agreement is only on my name. I can provide rent payment details too, if needed.

8. Do your parents depend on you financially? Do you pay for any of their expenses/insurance?
No, they don't depend on me.

9. Your parents' property + copies of their passports will not help your application.
Ok, I can omit these then.

10. Do you have a valid UK visa? If yes, would you stop in the UK on your return trip after your Canada visit?
No, my UK visa expired. This trip is only to travel to Canada and back.

11. Do you have financial investments? For example, FDs, RDs, shares, mutual funds, PPF, EPF, etc? If yes, are these locked-in or can be liquidated, if required?
Yes, and these can be liquidated if needed.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You're still missing the point.

Your employment is your only strong tie. Nothing else. No property, no dependent family members, no strong travel history, etc. This means you must work twice as hard to prove that you really must return to India = that you won't look for employment in Canada/overstay your visit.

Simply including only a leave approval letter from your employer is not the employment proof that the visa officer wants to see.

If you are unable to demonstrate other reasons to return then maybe you should not reapply at this stage. It would be worth your visa efforts to wait until you have more reasons (like proofs of payments towards owning a property, getting married, build up your travel history, etc)

delhiboyin

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Experts,

@Bryanna @syculla

I have applied for my mother TRV in august from Delhi,India VFS and it got rejected. The reason given was :-

Given economic conditions, employment prospects, considering your travel history, economic establishment and family ties, I am not satisfied that you would respect the terms of your admission as a temporary resident in canada.

Its a 3 page refusal letter with the other reasons marked as cross mark and acts and regulations mentioned on it..

I have applied thru agent and not sure which documents he has attached as he has taken all the docs from me at 1st stage and applied himself after 3 days.

She is a widow and retired govt .officer (2 yrs back).I have got pr card for myself , wife and daughter(4yrs) 2 yrs back and done soft landing last year. I have a elder sister only who is already settled in delhi.

We have attached following documents:-

1) Her pension (400 cad p.m.) and retirement documents(funds she received at the time of retirement.
2) bank statement 2Acc. in totaling (more than 20,000 cad ) There was a recent transaction before applying one month thats in july.
3) 2 Property documents for ties to india.
3) my pr card (as I have done soft landing and still in india and no income in canada) (looks to me a mistake done by agent and i relied on him)
4) stay of 1 month mentioned in the one hotel only (looks to me a mistake done by agent)
5) her previous travel outside india is to maurtius and dubai (for 4-7 days) not sure whether agent attached this or not
6) Itinerary not sure whether he has attached any or not !!

Acc. to this my assumption is it is rejected due to purpose of visit was not clear. As my pr card was attached with it in the form we are showing hotel booking for one month and with that we are attaching my pr card.( Need experts advice on this)

Out of above concerns the financial status and ties to home country(pension and asset) should be out of question.

So, what should be attached or done for reapplying.We want to do it on asap basis(will it be a good idea?) what documents or reasons we should provide in next application?

a) my mom does'nt have a job here so as per employment prospect its true?
b) what should be done for travel history?
c) Economic establishment and Family ties( should we apply purely as tourist visa for the next time or with my pr card mentioning the reason as reason for supporting my 4 yrs daughter for my initial days as my wife and I look for work upon landing?)

Thanx
Nick

Last edited:

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Greetings!!!

I just want to share my experience. I applied Visotor's visa for my parents to attend my convocation but it got rejected for the following reasons.

-travel history
-purpose of travel
-personal assets and financial status
-you have not provided sufficient documentation to support your/ your host's income and assets.

What should I do? I want to reapply her.

My mom never had a paid work as she never has to work as my dad was working abroad. Thus, she spent most of her time as a full time mother.
For the purpose of travel, is my convocation. I put actually four weeks of being here.
Im on a student visa and currently working as well. I have more than 15,000$ on my account. I submitted bank statement.
I submitted my ITR and pay stub and letter from the financial officer of our company.
I included also the invitation for my convocation and a letter from the institution that I am indeed convocating this summer.
We included land titles and even an adoption certification of my 3-year old (adapted) sibling just to prove her family ties in the Philippines.
My Mom never had a prior travel history. we did not have the luxury of money to send her for a trip abroad for leisure or anything.
This is the first time that she has a good reason to go outside the country. to see her youngest boy to graduate.

I hope you guys can help me what is the next step i should do.

Thanks
Question you need to answer is why will she go back to India rather than just stay with you. She has a small income and no family in India. This is the concern the VO has.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
IMO, the bigger reason for the refusal is: It seems like your mom is moving with you/your family to Canada when you return = She is likely to overstay her visit

Your mom has no strong ties to return home to: No employment + she owns property (but, these are dormant assets) + no dependent family members (your married sister won't be a family tie from a visa perspective) + no previous travel history (Mauritius and Dubai are liberal in issuing visas)

I suggest you move back to Canada.... and then apply for your mom after you have a job, place to stay, etc

delhiboyin

Jul 23, 2014
IMO, the bigger reason for the refusal is: It seems like your mom is moving with you/your family to Canada when you return = She is likely to overstay her visit

Your mom has no strong ties to return home to: No employment + she owns property (but, these are dormant assets) + no dependent family members (your married sister won't be a family tie from a visa perspective) + no previous travel history (Mauritius and Dubai are liberal in issuing visas)

I suggest you move back to Canada.... and then apply for your mom after you have a job, place to stay, etc

Agent made the mistake...by attaching my pr card....can we reapply with

As If i move to canada then it will take time to settler and get the job and until then can't call my mother as there is a income criteria for sponsorship.So , it can take a year to reach that income goal and then sponsor her for visa.Till then she will be alone.Is the tourist visa an option or the sponsorship letter from one of my/ my mother's cousin will work?

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Hello Friends,

I have a difficult situation here and will be needing your suggestions as soon as possible.

My son (10 years old) & myself have got Canadian PR as part of express entry program. I did not apply for my husband's PR because of 2 reasons:

1). Adding him initially lowered my score below 400 thereby loosing my chance of getting a PR through the draws where they call candidates above the maximum point limit.
2). My husband is a businessman. We had decided that he will not be moving with us immediately. So, if he gets a PR then in that case he has to stay in Canada for a period of time else his PR will get rejected.

Now, I landed in Canada on 20th October. We planned that once I will get a job then my husband will come to Canada to drop my son and will go back to India.

So, my husband applied for a tourist visa in India. But it got rejected and reason given was :
Given economic conditions, employment prospects, considering your travel history, economic establishment and family ties, I am not satisfied that you would respect the terms of your admission as a temporary resident in Canada.

He had attached following documents with the visa application :

1) 6 months bank statement
2). 2 years Income tax return
3). A cover letter stating that my wife has received PR.
4). Photocopy of my COPR

Please let me know what went wrong?
Also if the spouse does not want to settle in Canada for initial 4-5 years then why he cannot even visit his family in Canada? Why does applying for tourist visa mean that he will settle there and will not come back?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello Friends,

I have a difficult situation here and will be needing your suggestions as soon as possible.

My son (10 years old) & myself have got Canadian PR as part of express entry program. I did not apply for my husband's PR because of 2 reasons:

1). Adding him initially lowered my score below 400 thereby loosing my chance of getting a PR through the draws where they call candidates above the maximum point limit.
2). My husband is a businessman. We had decided that he will not be moving with us immediately. So, if he gets a PR then in that case he has to stay in Canada for a period of time else his PR will get rejected.

Now, I landed in Canada on 20th October. We planned that once I will get a job then my husband will come to Canada to drop my son and will go back to India.

So, my husband applied for a tourist visa in India. But it got rejected and reason given was :
Given economic conditions, employment prospects, considering your travel history, economic establishment and family ties, I am not satisfied that you would respect the terms of your admission as a temporary resident in Canada.

He had attached following documents with the visa application :

1) 6 months bank statement
2). 2 years Income tax return
3). A cover letter stating that my wife has received PR.
4). Photocopy of my COPR

Please let me know what went wrong?
Also if the spouse does not want to settle in Canada for initial 4-5 years then why he cannot even visit his family in Canada? Why does applying for tourist visa mean that he will settle there and will not come back?
Hi,

Unfortunately, it is not surprising why your husband was refused. Plus, he had submitted a weak application which did not help.

1. What were the exact reasons for his TRV refusal?

2. A PR does not get rejected if someone does not meet Residency Obligations (RO). After someone lands as a PR, must maintain his/her PR status by residing in Canada.

3. What was the purpose of your husband's visit? And for how long?

4. What ties can your husband prove to India (business + property ownership + does his business have employees + financial situation + has he traveled to countries like the US./UK/Schengen/Australia, etc)?

Cheers

Last edited:

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
The reason for refusal that we received on mail was :
"Given economic conditions, employment prospects, considering your travel history, economic establishment and family ties, I am not satisfied that you would respect the terms of your admission as a temporary resident in Canada."

Purpose of his visit was : He had to bring my son to Canada.

He travelled to UK in 2007 for 2 weeks. He owns property in India which he can show as proof.

But my question is how we can make the immigration officer believe that he will return back to India when his wife and child are living in Canada?