+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys
I am in a very common situation: brand new PR from a visa exempt country with a valid eTA from before becoming PR, no pr card yet, need to travel abroad.

In order to board a plane back I need a PR card or PRTD, and that's by the book. Now, I have been two times at CBSA here where I live in Canada and asked about the situation. They told me I should just use my passport with the eTA and board the plane, then present CoPR at the port of entry. I understand the rule is different, then why two different agents say that?
Do you guys think is feasible?

My PR card should arrive when I am abroad and I am thinking to try and get it couriered in Germany, Any thoughts on this? advice?

I have thoroughly looked into the PRTD option, but! I will be away for a couple of weeks and that's the minimum timeline to obtain the document. The problem is that they hold onto your passport for the whole time, so if there is even a short delay I will be unable to board a plane 100% because I will have no passport.

So here is my plan:

A- Get the PR card mailed over
B- Risk boarding with just passport and eTA (I understand IRCC sends an email out when they cancel it so it should still be valid until proven otherwise)
C- Bring a complete PRTD application package over as a backup, but I really mistrust this solution as the VAC is far away from where I will be and I am not comfortable into shipping my passport around Europe.

I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have experienced this already.

Thanks a lot
D - fly to the US, enter a land border by foot or car with your COPR to Canada

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys
I am in a very common situation: brand new PR from a visa exempt country with a valid eTA from before becoming PR, no pr card yet, need to travel abroad.

In order to board a plane back I need a PR card or PRTD, and that's by the book. Now, I have been two times at CBSA here where I live in Canada and asked about the situation. They told me I should just use my passport with the eTA and board the plane, then present CoPR at the port of entry. I understand the rule is different, then why two different agents say that?

My PR card should arrive when I am abroad and I am thinking to try and get it couriered in Germany, Any thoughts on this? advice?

I have thoroughly looked into the PRTD option, but! I will be away for a couple of weeks and that's the minimum timeline to obtain the document. The problem is that they hold onto your passport for the whole time, so if there is even a short delay I will be unable to board a plane 100% because I will have no passport.

So here is my plan:

B- Risk boarding with just passport and eTA (I understand IRCC sends an email out when they cancel it so it should still be valid until proven otherwise)
C- Bring a complete PRTD application package over as a backup, but I really mistrust this solution as the VAC is far away from where I will be and I am not comfortable into shipping my passport around Europe.

I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have experienced this already.

Thanks a lot
Your decision whether to risk the eTA still being valid.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Appreciate the input but I live in Newfoundland , definitely not an option
But you can fly to the US (such as Detroit), cross border with COPR to Toronto and then take a domestic flight to Newfoundland with your passport.

It is valid option.

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
But you can fly to the US (such as Detroit), cross border with COPR to Toronto and then take a domestic flight to Newfoundland with your passport.

It is valid option.
When you say coincidences... this morning I received the email saying that my eTA was cancelled I guess I will have to start looking into crossing by foot.
I wonder if the eTA cancellation means they have started processing the PR card..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
When you say coincidences... this morning I received the email saying that my eTA was cancelled I guess I will have to start looking into crossing by foot.
I wonder if the eTA cancellation means they have started processing the PR card..
They are probably independent processes. There is no immigration link between them. The eTA should be voided at the time of your landing. It's only administrative delay that keeps them "active" in the system.

Reactions: scylla

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Does anybody know if it is ok to declare the intention of crossing the canadian border through private vehicle once landing in the United States?
Is it possible to cross by foot at Niagara falls?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Does anybody know if it is ok to declare the intention of crossing the canadian border through private vehicle once landing in the United States?
Only declare what you have to. Don't volunteer information. Yes, you can cross on foot at Niagara. However : https://www.peacebridge.com/index.php/bicyclists-pedestrians/walk-the-bridge

Alternative : https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list-of-border-crossings/new-york/rainbow-bridge/

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, we done this couple of times.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello guys

So here is my plan:

Thanks a lot
1, One problem with your plan, IRCC cancels ETAs after you "land" not immediately, but they do cancel them. So if it has been cancelled, then you will be refused boarding.
2. No, IRCC doesn't send out an email when the ETA is cancelled after "landing'

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Hi

1, One problem with your plan, IRCC cancels ETAs after you "land" not immediately, but they do cancel them. So if it has been cancelled, then you will be refused boarding.
2. No, IRCC doesn't send out an email when the ETA is cancelled after "landing'
Believe me or not, and its a crazy coincidence, they sent an email out today saying the eTA was cancelled because now i m a PR which is fair I guess, just funny timing.

I understand this is a rant, but i ll do it anyway.
Why in the world being a PR should limit your freedom of movement, i don t understand. And don’t tell me that there is the PRTD because that is ajoke. For example now I will be in Germany and the closest visa office is in Austria, result: I have to give my passport to a courier with all the associated risks. What if it goes lost? I will be stuck in Europe for god Knows how long with extremely high costs over christmas.
I was free to come and go from Canada before with my visa exempt passport, now I am not anymore. The worst thing is that the situation is well known in advance but there is nothing to do in Canada. I would be totally fine to go to the closest IRCC office and apply in person for whatever. But no. And the answer IRCC gives is “postpone your travel”.
I take part in international business that involves so many moving parts, how can I Explain to my partners that everything has to stop because of a stupid plastic card (which btw might get delayed for postal strikes)??? Insane.
Seems to me the system favours those who don’t have any interest in contributing to society.
Sorry for the rant, am I the only one that sees a terrible flaw in this whole process?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Believe me or not, and its a crazy coincidence, they sent an email out today saying the eTA was cancelled because now i m a PR which is fair I guess, just funny timing.

I understand this is a rant, but i ll do it anyway.
Why in the world being a PR should limit your freedom of movement, i don t understand. And don’t tell me that there is the PRTD because that is ajoke. For example now I will be in Germany and the closest visa office is in Austria, result: I have to give my passport to a courier with all the associated risks. What if it goes lost? I will be stuck in Europe for god Knows how long with extremely high costs over christmas.
I was free to come and go from Canada before with my visa exempt passport, now I am not anymore. The worst thing is that the situation is well known in advance but there is nothing to do in Canada. I would be totally fine to go to the closest IRCC office and apply in person for whatever. But no. And the answer IRCC gives is “postpone your travel”.
I take part in international business that involves so many moving parts, how can I Explain to my partners that everything has to stop because of a stupid plastic card (which btw might get delayed for postal strikes)??? Insane.
Seems to me the system favours those who don’t have any interest in contributing to society.
Sorry for the rant, am I the only one that sees a terrible flaw in this whole process?
I'm going to take a reasoned guess at this.

1) they are trying to weed out the Permanent Residents who are not quite as "resident" as they should be, hence forcing them to apply for a PRTD/PR card to have their compliance with the Residency Obligation assessed.
2) our "cousins" to the South have the ESTA and I would not mind betting that they twisted Canada's arm to impose a similar scheme. All in the name of "National Security", you understand...
3) it does give the Canadian government an opportunity to pre-screen even visa-exempt travellers in a way that was not possible before.

Reactions: dpenabill

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to take a reasoned guess at this.

1) they are trying to weed out the Permanent Residents who are not quite as "resident" as they should be, hence forcing them to apply for a PRTD/PR card to have their compliance with the Residency Obligation assessed.
2) our "cousins" to the South have the ESTA and I would not mind betting that they twisted Canada's arm to impose a similar scheme. All in the name of "National Security", you understand...
3) it does give the Canadian government an opportunity to pre-screen even visa-exempt travellers in a way that was not possible before.
I understand the need for eTA and national security, deeply. I don't argue that.
What I argue is that two weeks out of a potentially very bad situation for me, there is nothing I can do in Canada and IRCC is totally helpless other than saying apply for a PRTD once you are in Europe. Why can't they issue PRTDs in Canada? Because they need a Visa Office authority, I know the answer already but dammit can't they figure out a solution?
I would even consider driving 14 hours back and forth from Vienna to deliver my passport in person, guess what? No in person drop off. So I am basically forced to hand in my passport to a courier with all the associated risks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
has anybody ever tried with their passport and provincial driving licence?
Tried to do what? If you mean cross the land border, yes you can do that. A COPR would be better but as long as CBSA can confirm your identity and status, they will let you in.