+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

This is a message I got form IRCC on this issue:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Permanent residents outside Canada

If you are a permanent resident outside Canada and you are planning on returning to Canada:

• On a commercial carrier (plane, boat, train or bus):
  • Aboard a private vehicle:
    • it is not necessary to have the PR card with you,
    • you can use one of the following immigration documents:
      • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
      • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
If you are outside of Canada and do not have your PR card (or your card has expired):

If you are a new permanent resident of Canada, should you apply for a PR card?

• No, one will be sent to you automatically as part of the immigration process.
Awesome. Follow-up question: Will a copy of COPR suffice or does the original have to be carried. I have the original but would like to use only a photocopy if possible, to keep the original safe :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Awesome. Follow-up question: Will a copy of COPR suffice or does the original have to be carried. I have the original but would like to use only a photocopy if possible, to keep the original safe :)
A copy is fine. You don't even need that, as CBSA will be able to see your PR status just by swiping your passport.

Reactions: 8494193

Doesn't matter.
Thank you for all the information! I was successfully able to enter with only a copy of the COPR and passport. What's more, the border officer didn't really even see the COPR copy, just swiped passport like you said! :)

Reactions: pk46

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thank you for all the information! I was successfully able to enter with only a copy of the COPR and passport. What's more, the border officer didn't really even see the COPR copy, just swiped passport like you said! :)
The answer that I was looking for. God bless you.

Please confirm if you did you travel by car?

Yes, I flew to Seattle and drove to Canada in a rental car. (Note: I returned to Seattle and am back home in California - hence a rental car to/from Seattle. Rental car companies will not provide one-way rentals to Canada from US or vice versa. I had gone just to apply for SIN. Will move later this year, hopefully.)

The answer that I was looking for. God bless you.

Please confirm if you did you travel by car?

Reactions: pk46

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Yes, I flew to Seattle and drove to Canada in a rental car. (Note: I returned to Seattle and am back home in California - hence a rental car to/from Seattle. Rental car companies will not provide one-way rentals to Canada from US or vice versa. I had gone just to apply for SIN. Will move later this year, hopefully.)
Thank you sid8tive.

One last question. I am planning on having my PR card sent to US via Fedex. What would you suggest?
I am sure you would have thought of this option, that is why asking your opinion.

TIA.

Thank you sid8tive.

One last question. I am planning on having my PR card sent to US via Fedex. What would you suggest?
I am sure you would have thought of this option, that is why asking your opinion.

TIA.
That should be fine. My card will arrive at a friend's place and they will FedEx it to me in the US. Though, I'm also wondering to collect it from them in person as we can drive to Canada using COPR/Passport. So, in two minds :)

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Rental car companies do provide one-way cross-border rentals. I have one booked for the end of October in fact. It just costs a lot more.

You have to go with the bigger rental companies, and book to main locations in the border regions. Mine is booked from Buffalo Airport to Toronto Pearson.

Because people do this, chances are you'll get a Canadian-plated car when driving north to drive back into Canada, and a US-plated car going south.

Last edited:

Rental car companies do provide one-way cross-border rentals. I have one booked for the end of October in fact. It just costs a lot more.

You have to go with the bigger rental companies, and book to main locations in the border regions. Mine is booked from Buffalo Airport to Toronto Pearson.

Because people do this, chances are you'll get a Canadian-plated car when driving north to drive back into Canada, and a US-plated car going south.
Wow. I did not know that. I tried, but Avis declined (I guess because I tried to book at short notice, they didn't have any availability). Thank you!

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Wow. I did not know that. I tried, but Avis declined (I guess because I tried to book at short notice, they didn't have any availability). Thank you!
I usually rent with National. The price for the one-day rental was $350, but I used a free rental day coupon and am only paying about $20 in taxes.

I usually rent with National. The price for the one-day rental was $350, but I used a free rental day coupon and am only paying about $20 in taxes.
Nice. Thanks for the recommendation. I was able to check with Avis. Daily is $40 from BUF to YYZ, but they charge 27c/mile. So, it may come to a similar total cost.

Reactions: andy1011 and evdm

Mseitz

Jul 25, 2018
I’m a US Citizen needing to travel to the States next weekend. There’s no way I’ll get my PR card in time and I’m flying to Georgia, which is no where near Los Angeles or NYC to get a PRTD. I called the CBSA twice now about being able to re enter Canada with just my passport and CoPR. The 1st time the lady was very reassuring and said I’d be just fine with no trouble. The 2nd time I called this other woman wasn’t very reassuring, saying my saving grace is that I’m a US Citizen but that I’ll be questioned and possibly delayed when I fly back to Canada. I’m really worried because I’m getting mixed messages from different people and the flight’s already booked and I’m not sure what to do. Anyone had any experiences or know of anyone who is doing what I’m doing??? I’m panicking right now.