+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I’m a US Citizen needing to travel to the States next weekend. There’s no way I’ll get my PR card in time and I’m flying to Georgia, which is no where near Los Angeles or NYC to get a PRTD. I called the CBSA twice now about being able to re enter Canada with just my passport and CoPR. The 1st time the lady was very reassuring and said I’d be just fine with no trouble. The 2nd time I called this other woman wasn’t very reassuring, saying my saving grace is that I’m a US Citizen but that I’ll be questioned and possibly delayed when I fly back to Canada. I’m really worried because I’m getting mixed messages from different people and the flight’s already booked and I’m not sure what to do. Anyone had any experiences or know of anyone who is doing what I’m doing??? I’m panicking right now.
U.S. citizens do not need eTA to fly to Canada. So your U.S. passport gets you on the plane.

And your PR status means you are entitled to enter Canada.

Assuming you do not have any inadmissibility issues, upon arrival at the PoE there should be NO problem. Sure, you could be referred to Secondary, but that should be no big deal. Yes, that means answering some questions, which should be some easily answered questions. Yes, that means some delay is possible. Five minutes, perhaps, a half hour, perhaps. Somewhat longer if the PoE is busy with complicated traveler issues.

The inadmissibility issue that tends to snag some is being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. Not in breach, there should be no problem. Just be prepared to answer some questions about how it is you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation and that should easily suffice.

Even for a PR with an inadmissibility issue, such as a U.S. citizen who is a Canadian PR but who has breached the PR RO. Still entitled to enter Canada. May be reported for the breach of the PR RO at the PoE, and issued a Departure Order, but the PR still gets to enter Canada and can then appeal the report, and stay in Canada in the meantime.

Reactions: Mseitz

Mseitz

Jul 25, 2018
U.S. citizens do not need eTA to fly to Canada. So your U.S. passport gets you on the plane.

And your PR status means you are entitled to enter Canada.

Assuming you do not have any inadmissibility issues, upon arrival at the PoE there should be NO problem. Sure, you could be referred to Secondary, but that should be no big deal. Yes, that means answering some questions, which should be some easily answered questions. Yes, that means some delay is possible. Five minutes, perhaps, a half hour, perhaps. Somewhat longer if the PoE is busy with complicated traveler issues.

The inadmissibility issue that tends to snag some is being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. Not in breach, there should be no problem. Just be prepared to answer some questions about how it is you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation and that should easily suffice.

Even for a PR with an inadmissibility issue, such as a U.S. citizen who is a Canadian PR but who has breached the PR RO. Still entitled to enter Canada. May be reported for the breach of the PR RO at the PoE, and issued a Departure Order, but the PR still gets to enter Canada and can then appeal the report, and stay in Canada in the meantime.
Thank you very much for your advice. I’ve been living here for 2 years and my husband is Canadian so I’m crossing fingers that I won’t have an inadmissibility issue?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you very much for your advice. I’ve been living here for 2 years and my husband is Canadian so I’m crossing fingers that I won’t have an inadmissibility issue?
It appears, then, that both of you are "Canadian." Canadian PRs are "Canadians" (as defined by Canadian immigration law).

If your husband is a Canadian CITIZEN, then the days spent living together abroad, within the last five years, count in the calculation of days for complying with the PR Residency Obligation.

If you have been living in Canada enough to have been present for two full years, that meets the PR RO.

If not, if short of 730 days actually physically present in Canada, then a good idea to be prepared to give detailed information about time living abroad with your Canadian citizen spouse, including details about marriage and spouse's citizenship (which should be fairly easy for the PoE officer to verify in their records, since your husband sponsored you and thus your record show readily show this information), but also details about address and dates about where you have lived . . . those while living abroad and those living in Canada.

Unless there is something unusual about your situation, the odds are good it will go smoothly. Just be sure to answer questions directly and honestly.

Reactions: Mseitz

Sroyston121

Jun 4, 2018
Hi, anyone here could help me please.

I landed in Canada on the 3rd August 2018
As a pr. I left CAnada 22/08/18 back to UK for a funeral, I’m flying back to Canada in 1 week from UK, will there be any problem for me at the airport because I don’t have my pr card yet. I hold a visa exempt country passport and when I check my previous ETA is still valid and it says approved when I check online. Please anyone can help me thank u

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, anyone here could help me please.

I landed in Canada on the 3rd August 2018
As a pr. I left CAnada 22/08/18 back to UK for a funeral, I’m flying back to Canada in 1 week from UK, will there be any problem for me at the airport because I don’t have my pr card yet. I hold a visa exempt country passport and when I check my previous ETA is still valid and it says approved when I check online. Please anyone can help me thank u
As a PR your ETA will now be invalid so you either need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane. There is a remote possibility that the system has not yet caught up and your ETA might well still be in the system . You will only really find out when you come to check in and either are allowed to board or not. Only other alternative would have been to have applied for a PRTD which you could possibly have got by now or head back via the US land border assuming you have an ESTA.

Sroyston121

Jun 4, 2018
As a PR your ETA will now be invalid so you either need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane. There is a remote possibility that the system has not yet caught up and your ETA might well still be in the system . You will only really find out when you come to check in and either are allowed to board or not. Only other alternative would have been to have applied for a PRTD which you could possibly have got by now or head back via the US land border assuming you have an ESTA.
Ok, thank you, but when i did the landing, and spoke to the CBSA officer and explain my circumstances but she told me that once the eta is approved it will stay in the systems for 5 years or till the passport expires. And I did also mentioned to her that I might need to go back to uk, I asked her if I needed to apply for travel document before I come back to Canada, she goes No it will take at least a month for me to get a travel document. So basically I’m just going to be at the risk if I’m not allowed to board th

Reactions: Will_PA

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Ok, thank you, but when i did the landing, and spoke to the CBSA officer and explain my circumstances but she told me that once the eta is approved it will stay in the systems for 5 years or till the passport expires. And I did also mentioned to her that I might need to go back to uk, I asked her if I needed to apply for travel document before I come back to Canada, she goes No it will take at least a month for me to get a travel document. So basically I’m just going to be at the risk if I’m not allowed to board th
Let us know if it works out for you. However, as you are aware, the "official" answer is that you need a PR card or a PRTD. Anything else working is based on luck, or deception (such as presenting a void visa that hasn't been physically struck out).

Reactions: Will_PA

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not quite a month in UK more like 10 days has been reported here but irrelevant now given your imminent return.

Hopefully what the CBSA officer said works for you although have serious doubts that the ETA remains valid for the full 5 years once a PR else why bother anyone getting a PR card for 5 years to support travel if they can just use their ETA through expiry.

More likely scenario is that once the card is issued then at checkin an individual would be flagged as a PR. Personally have no experience of this scenario but good luck anyway and as Zardoz says if you feel inclined feedback post return. Although for anyone else reading just because might work for one might work for all

Sroyston121

Jun 4, 2018
A quick update, successfully landed in Canada without a pr Canada but with a previous eta which i had it before becoming a PR. No issue with the airlines or cbsa, no questions been asked before boarding or after landing at Toronto Pearson int airport,.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A quick update, successfully landed in Canada without a pr Canada but with a previous eta which i had it before becoming a PR. No issue with the airlines or cbsa, no questions been asked before boarding or after landing at Toronto Pearson int airport,.
Glad it worked for you but will always be a gamble given the rules are clear and you were probably lucky that your PR card had not been issued and you had a visa exempt passport. Anybody else reading this result should still be aware it will be a gamble at check in that either the system has not be updated to reflect PR status or even the check in staff have been negligent so always be prepared with plan B.

CBSA on arrival would not care whether you had an ETA or not , all they are interested in would be your visa exempt passport and your PR status in the system to grant you entry.

Sep 15, 2017
Dear members,
An urgent advise required. Here's my status before i present my issues:

- I have an Indian passport.
- I am a PR holder, have done my landing on 10th september and had left Canada on 14th October to UAE. I dont have my PR card with me but my wife is in Canada to receive the PR card.
- I also have a Canadian Tourist visa obtained about 2.5 years ago and valid for 10 years, until 2025 then (Dont know if it is still valid after I obtained PR)
- I also hold a US tourist visa valid until 2025

Now moving on to the issue:
1. I need to be traveling for the new year, flight tickets to Canada is increasing everyday. So have to book ASAP!
2. Looking at the days for receiving PR card, it is more than sufficient. So there is an option of getting the PR card couriered to me and I enter with it.

I have been hearing issues about PR cards not being obtained due to some photograph issues. If something of that sort happens and it is delayed, I just wish to know if I can travel with the Canadian tourist visa? If not, is it safe to go to NY/ Buffalo and travel by road?
What are the chances my PR card wont be issued in time due to photograph issues? I have submitted the same photograph that was received along with COPR.

If Canadian tourist visa works, nothing like it for a back up. What would you do in my place with all the options and confusions presented?

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Dear members,
An urgent advise required. Here's my status before i present my issues:

- I have an Indian passport.
- I am a PR holder, have done my landing on 10th september and had left Canada on 14th October to UAE. I dont have my PR card with me but my wife is in Canada to receive the PR card.
- I also have a Canadian Tourist visa obtained about 2.5 years ago and valid for 10 years, until 2025 then (Dont know if it is still valid after I obtained PR)
- I also hold a US tourist visa valid until 2025

Now moving on to the issue:
1. I need to be traveling for the new year, flight tickets to Canada is increasing everyday. So have to book ASAP!
2. Looking at the days for receiving PR card, it is more than sufficient. So there is an option of getting the PR card couriered to me and I enter with it.

I have been hearing issues about PR cards not being obtained due to some photograph issues. If something of that sort happens and it is delayed, I just wish to know if I can travel with the Canadian tourist visa? If not, is it safe to go to NY/ Buffalo and travel by road?
What are the chances my PR card wont be issued in time due to photograph issues? I have submitted the same photograph that was received along with COPR.

If Canadian tourist visa works, nothing like it for a back up. What would you do in my place with all the options and confusions presented?

Thanks in advance.
Others can comment as well but you should not rely on the visitor visa still being valid. True the system may take some time to catch up and cancel any temporary visas but should not be relied on to board a plane once you have already landed as a PR especially as by time you travel back months will have passed.

No way to predict anything as far as photographs are concerned but if you met the specifications then no reason to think you would have any issues.

If there is any delay in getting your PR card you can just apply for a PRTD, in fact why not just apply for one now as a backup given you have time. Without a PR card or a PRTD or assuming your visit visa is still valid, probably not, then only alternative is to turn up at the US border with your COPR and passport where as a PR you would be allowed entry.

As for airfares surprising other than fuel cost increases that fares would go up in what is the Canadian winter and generally off season for travellers to Canada but then every origin country has different fares I guess.

vinikap

Nov 9, 2018
thank you Bloodrose, canuck_in_uk and donnanne for responding so quickly! Yes I am def an over thinker, need to stop worrying about it. Will update you guys how it goes when I am back in 2 -3 weeks.
Hi
thank you Bloodrose, canuck_in_uk and donnanne for responding so quickly! Yes I am def an over thinker, need to stop worrying about it. Will update you guys how it goes when I am back in 2 -3 weeks.
Hi striker87,

I am in a similar situation like yours. I need to travel to the US in less than 2 weeks. I need to know if COPR and passport will be enough to cross from Niagra (US) to Niagra Canada and what are the options? Like taxi, bus or walk? Anybody on the forum with similar experience can guide?

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Hello guys
I am in a very common situation: brand new PR from a visa exempt country with a valid eTA from before becoming PR, no pr card yet, need to travel abroad.

In order to board a plane back I need a PR card or PRTD, and that's by the book. Now, I have been two times at CBSA here where I live in Canada and asked about the situation. They told me I should just use my passport with the eTA and board the plane, then present CoPR at the port of entry. I understand the rule is different, then why two different agents say that?
Do you guys think is feasible?

My PR card should arrive when I am abroad and I am thinking to try and get it couriered in Germany, Any thoughts on this? advice?

I have thoroughly looked into the PRTD option, but! I will be away for a couple of weeks and that's the minimum timeline to obtain the document. The problem is that they hold onto your passport for the whole time, so if there is even a short delay I will be unable to board a plane 100% because I will have no passport.

So here is my plan:

A- Get the PR card mailed over
B- Risk boarding with just passport and eTA (I understand IRCC sends an email out when they cancel it so it should still be valid until proven otherwise)
C- Bring a complete PRTD application package over as a backup, but I really mistrust this solution as the VAC is far away from where I will be and I am not comfortable into shipping my passport around Europe.

I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have experienced this already.

Thanks a lot