+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Tried to do what? If you mean cross the land border, yes you can do that. A COPR would be better but as long as CBSA can confirm your identity and status, they will let you in.
No I mean to board the plane to Canada, passport + copr + Canadian driving licence.
I’m not trying to cut corners, but simply the pr card won’t come in time and neither will the prtd.
I have read it’s at the airline own discretion so I wonder if maybe that could work or if somebody experienced it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No I mean to board the plane to Canada, passport + copr + Canadian driving licence.
I’m not trying to cut corners, but simply the pr card won’t come in time and neither will the prtd.
I have read it’s at the airline own discretion so I wonder if maybe that could work or if somebody experienced it.
Things have really changed since eTAs were introduced a couple of years ago. The short answer to your question is no - it won't be possible. Three years ago this would have worked - those days are now long gone. This isn't at the discretion of the airlines. Canadian laws dictate that airlines are not allowed to let passengers board without the appropriate documentation (they can face fines if they do). If you are flying to Canada, you must have either the valid PR card or PRTD. Otherwise you need to change your plans and fly to the US and re-enter Canada by land.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No chance... Sorry but they simply won't allow it. They get hit with serious penalties if the traveller is not admitted and the passport/drivers licence give no guarantee of admission. The COPR is of even less use, as it explicitly states that it's not a travel document.

Just to add to this. I was in the USA for a few days last year on business and tried to use the automated check-in system to speed things up. It refused to allow me to scan my PR card in lieu of a visa/eTA (I was on my UK passport) and forced me to actually go to the counter. There, they took my PR card, studied and scanned it before issuing a boarding pass. I asked about this and was informed that they have to physically check.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A point of clarification: Actually, under the Canadian law, rules, and policies, the airlines do have discretion and may allow a PR to board a flight to Canada without presenting a PR card or PR Travel Document. And they will incur NO PENALTY if they do so, as long as the traveler is indeed a PR who upon arrival at the Canadian PoE is statutorily entitled to enter Canada (upon application for entry, examination, and determination the traveler is a Canadian PR).

BUT THERE IS VERY LITTLE CHANCE, VERY, VERY LITTLE CHANCE, THE AIRLINES WILL EXERCISE SUCH DISCRETION so as to allow a PR to board a flight without either a PRC or PR TD. It may even be likely that airline personnel doing the boarding pass screening are not advised of or otherwise aware the airline has such discretion. Some or most or perhaps even all airlines may even have their own strict rules which do not allow for exceptions, which do not allow the exercise of discretion. But whether or not the airline absolutely does not allow PRs to board without PRC or PR TD is up to the airline, at the airline's discretion.

This is one of those situations in which the more or less strict employment of DEFINITIVE rules works best for the airlines. After all, if the airline makes an error (in exercising its discretion) and allows a traveler to board a flight and that traveler is NOT a Canadian (citizen or PR) and does not otherwise have authorization to enter Canada, as others have observed there are prohibitive penalties. Simply easier and safer for the airlines to NOT exercise discretion, to employ a DEFINITIVE rule.

Re "Why in the world being a PR should limit your freedom of movement . . ." and the fact that it does NOT:

Upfront, to be clear: being a PR does NOT limit an individual's freedom of movement . . . neither domestically within Canada (and this is protected by the Charter of Rights) nor internationally. Suggestions to the contrary are erroneous. Temporary, readily recognized TRANSITIONAL difficulties, which ordinarily and usually (even if not always) can be anticipated and dealt with by prudent planning, should NOT be conflated with alleged constraints on freedom of movement.

Let's be frank: ALL travelers seeking to board a flight to Canada MUST (with some narrow exceptions) possess and present very specific documents, mostly specified Travel Documents or certain Travel Documents together with a Status document. This includes Canadians, including both Canadian citizens and Canadian PRs (PRs, for example, will be allowed to board a flight upon presenting a passport plus their status document, the PR card).

This includes ALL Foreign Nationals.

The required documents are well publicized. Many airlines also publish these at their websites.

Individuals planning to travel by air from a foreign location to a Canadian destination need to PLAN for this, to be prepared to present the proper documents depending on their status.

There is a wide range of real-life contingencies which can make traveling internationally difficult. Including various situations in which a prospective traveler has Travel Document issues.

The traveler whose passport expires, or who loses his passport, for example, will need to go through the process of obtaining a replacement or a special Travel Document BEFORE being allowed to board a flight to Canada. Again, this includes Canadian citizens.

Another example: Scores of PRs approaching the expiration date of their PR cards must anticipate how this might impact their international travel plans, and prepare accordingly . . . either applying for a new PRC well in advance of the PRC expiration date, being prepared to obtain a PR TD while abroad, or scheduling travel so as to navigate around what needs to be presented to an airline for boarding (this can be rescheduling dates or scheduling flights to facilitate travel via the U.S. and a land crossing into Canada). Moreover, there are the personal difficulties international travel may pose for those PRs who have been cutting-it-close, relative to RO compliance, and some potentially face up to a year to obtain a new PRC (which does not mean having PR status is any restraint on their freedom of movement).

And, rather obviously I would emphasize, so too the Foreign National who has been issued a PR visa. It should be NO surprise, at least not for anyone who has done even a rudimentary amount of homework, that (1) a PR card is NOT immediately available, and (2) once the FN becomes a PR, what documents will be necessary for boarding a flight to Canada.

It is up to the individual to recognize the consequences involved in the process of landing and becoming a PR, and to prepare accordingly.

Let Us Be Clear:

The process of immigrating to another country will inherently and inevitably change the course of one's life, some bumps bigger than others. Immigrating is a huge, huge decision, one of the more far-reaching if not important decisions a person can make in life (up there with marriage, having children, and major career decisions). There are consequences, lots of consequences. Some are immediate. Some are long term. Some are transitory. Some are permanent.

More than a few fools focus on the advantages and underestimate (or even overlook altogether) the nature and scope of some consequences, and otherwise fail to reasonably plan for and manage this big, big transition in life.

In particular, among the immediate consequences there are the logistics involved in making the transition. While one's specific immigration status changes in the course of a rather brief "landing" transaction, that is but one technical step in a long continuum of processes and procedures, some formal, some official, and many personal. The range of personal variables in the transitional logistics is almost as wide as the range of individuals immigrating to Canada. While much of our lives are in many ways similar, each of us has hurdles and problems particular to our own individual lives. As we each approach the formal, official step of actually immigrating to Canada, it is IMPERATIVE we do the homework and prepare for this big step, anticipating all sorts of contingencies and hurdles and potential issues. And, more often than not, those immigrating to Canada will need to make compromising decisions based on personal circumstances and personal priorities.

Canada is NOT a NANNY-STATE. The Canadian government will not manage an individual immigrant's life.

Sorry, but logistical difficulties attendant this big transition are an inevitable side-effect of immigrating, and it is up to each individual immigrant to plan and prepare for the transition. For example, some immigrants have to abandon all sorts of career opportunities in order to make this move (I did). It is a choice one makes. With forethought or otherwise.

Flawed individual preparation and planning does not render the Canadian immigration system flawed.

Planning for and managing some transitional issues with travel plans is probably at the easier end of the spectrum. Easier than having to restart and rebuild a professional career, which many face. Easier than moving a continent away from aging or ill parents, which many face. Easier than settling complicated business arrangements in order to pursue a new life in another country.

WHY THE ABOVE WARRANTS SOME ATTENTION AND ELABORATION: Sharing information so that prospective immigrants and landed immigrants can better anticipate the logistics of the move and better plan to deal with the various contingencies and consequences, is a big, big part of what this forum is about.

For example, many criticize the Canadian government for not employing more comprehensive border controls so that individual PRs do not have the burden of reporting and proving dates of entry and dates of exit. Not going to happen. The criticism is a wasted effort. And largely a distraction. The more responsive posture is to spread the word: each individual PR is responsible for keeping an accurate, precise, and complete record of international travel.

Likewise for many other criticisms aimed at the Canadian immigration system. Better to share information which will illuminate how to best navigate the system and to alert others about potential pitfalls and how to avoid them, about potential RISKS and how to minimize them. Sure, there are indeed more than a few flaws in the system. There is always room for improvement.

In the meantime: those who will be landing and becoming a PR in the near future: be aware, some foresight and planning are warranted. The streets are not paved with gold.

Last edited:

nhuttran

Oct 14, 2018
i have quick question. i got Confirmation of Permanent residence week ago. but I’m American with Usa passport. me and my wife plan travel back to Us visit family this christmas but i know PR card will mail take around 2 to 3 month. i haven’t visit home since i apply PR in canada . they not allow leave Canada when it in process. i know us Usa passport enter to Canada without visa . but any problems when i return? what should i say when Officer at Border ask? any advices???

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
i have quick question. i got Confirmation of Permanent residence week ago. but I’m American with Usa passport. me and my wife plan travel back to Us visit family this christmas but i know PR card will mail take around 2 to 3 month. i haven’t visit home since i apply PR in canada . they not allow leave Canada when it in process. i know us Usa passport enter to Canada without visa . but any problems when i return? what should i say when Officer at Border ask? any advices???
NO PROBLEM.

Longer Answer:

Regardless of the new PR's citizenship, the new PR can travel outside Canada immediately following the process of landing and becoming a PR. Such a new PR should easily be waived through at a land crossing PoE when he or she returns to Canada, although it is best if the PR has and presents a valid passport plus the original or a copy of the CoPR (Confirmation of PR), to establish identity and status.

Flying back to Canada is the problem many new PRs have when they leave Canada without first getting the PR card, since a PR needs to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to be approved for boarding a flight headed to Canada.

BUT NOT U.S. CITIZENS. Not only are U.S. citizens visa-exempt, they are also exempt from eTA requirements. A U.S. citizen should be allowed to board a flight to Canada just by presenting a valid U.S. passport. Upon arrival at the PoE, the PR should present both a U.S. passport and the CoPR (copy or original . . . remember the original CoPR is an important document to keep and safeguard FOR LIFE, as it is a critical document to have if and when the person retires in Canada even if in the meantime the person has become a Canadian citizen).

Thus, a U.S. citizen should have no problems at all traveling abroad soon after landing and later returning to Canada (assuming that is within the relative near future and at the most NOT more than three years later).

Reactions: Ca_551

vinikap

Nov 9, 2018
Once you are a PR, you can enter Canada at a land border without a PR card or PRTD. You don't actually need your COPR, as your PR status can be determined by CBSA when swiping your passport.
Hi,

Have you had any experience like this before? I also wanted to ask the thread members here that if anyone has had any experience crossing the land border (PR entering into canada) by foot at the Rainbow bridge, for those who don't drive?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Have you had any experience like this before? I also wanted to ask the thread members here that if anyone has had any experience crossing the land border (PR entering into canada) by foot at the Rainbow bridge, for those who don't drive?
That is actually an exception from the system - when you do not have a valid PR card or PRTD you can attempt to enter in land crossing using private vehicle.

Just bear in mind, the less document you have the more likely that you will end up in a secondary review. if you do that just because you cannot wait for PRTD, but you do not have problems with meeting RO, that will be no problem.
Many try this option because they do not meet the RO and they try to "sneak in" without being reported.

cyche

Nov 28, 2018
Hello, I am planning to travel to Ecuador for a service trip (high school club) in March 2019 and I currently do not have a PR card (lost it, did not reapply because my family had started the Canada citizenship application). I have US and Taiwan dual citizenship and the two passports. I became a Canada PR since 2014 and my family just submitted the Canada citizenship application this week.

I have a few questions:
1) My PR status is under my Taiwan passport. Am I allowed to use my US passport for the returning trip from Ecuador as a US citizen (board plane, entering Canada border, etc.)? Or I have to use my Taiwan passport since my PR status is under it (though I do not have a PR card)?

2) The process time for PR replacement is about 92~104 days (as listed on the IRC website), which is around the time of my trip. I might not receive my new PR card on time, and I don't think I will travel again before I receive my Canadian citizenship (~ 1 year), so is it worth it to apply for a card replacement now?\

Thank you for reading and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, I am planning to travel to Ecuador for a service trip (high school club) in March 2019 and I currently do not have a PR card (lost it, did not reapply because my family had started the Canada citizenship application). I have US and Taiwan dual citizenship and the two passports. I became a Canada PR since 2014 and my family just submitted the Canada citizenship application this week.

I have a few questions:
1) My PR status is under my Taiwan passport. Am I allowed to use my US passport for the returning trip from Ecuador as a US citizen (board plane, entering Canada border, etc.)? Or I have to use my Taiwan passport since my PR status is under it (though I do not have a PR card)?

2) The process time for PR replacement is about 92~104 days (as listed on the IRC website), which is around the time of my trip. I might not receive my new PR card on time, and I don't think I will travel again before I receive my Canadian citizenship (~ 1 year), so is it worth it to apply for a card replacement now?\

Thank you for reading and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Hi

1. Your PR status is independent of your citizenship. Board the plane with your US passport and do not tell the airline about your PR status. You will enter Canada as a PR regardless of what passport you carry.

2. You don't need it.

Reactions: cyche

cyche

Nov 28, 2018
Hi

1. Your PR status is independent of your citizenship. Board the plane with your US passport and do not tell the airline about your PR status. You will enter Canada as a PR regardless of what passport you carry.

2. You don't need it.
Hello, thank you for your reply.

If I enter Canada as a PR, I do not have a PR card to prove my status. I originally thought I could apply for a permanent resident travel document, but I have to apply outside of Canada. The IRC website doesn't provide a rough estimate for the processing time (only listed it as "varied"), and my trip is only 8 days, so I don't know if applying in Ecuador would be a good option.

If I enter Canada as a PR, would I be allowed entrance provided that I show my Taiwan passport and explain why I don't have a PR card? Is there other means to prove PR status without a PR card or PR travel document?

Or would it be easier if I enter Canada as a US citizen? I am a minor (travelling w/o parents), so there is a good chance of me being questioned.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, thank you for your reply.

If I enter Canada as a PR, I do not have a PR card to prove my status. I originally thought I could apply for a permanent resident travel document, but I have to apply outside of Canada. The IRC website doesn't provide a rough estimate for the processing time (only listed it as "varied"), and my trip is only 8 days, so I don't know if applying in Ecuador would be a good option.

If I enter Canada as a PR, would I be allowed entrance provided that I show my Taiwan passport and explain why I don't have a PR card? Is there other means to prove PR status without a PR card or PR travel document?

Or would it be easier if I enter Canada as a US citizen? I am a mionr (travelling w/o parents), so there is a good chance of me being questioned.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
CBSA should be able to see your status in the system. Just explain the situation. You could take proof of your citizenship app.

It doesn't matter what passport you use to enter Canada. You must declare that you are a PR. You may end up in secondary for a short time while they verify your status but it won't be an issue.

Snowman1308

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
So just for future references.

I am a new pr without the card which hasn’t been printed and delivered yet.

Had to travel to Germany for business and was worried about re entering since my eta on italianpassport was cancelled after I became a pr (I got an email from IRCC).

I weighed different options and ended up risking to get a PRTD from Vienna office. They were very fast and in between courier delivery, processing and delivery back I had the passport in 7 days (Wednesday to Wednesday).

Today I left from Stuttgart to London and from London to St. John’s Newfoundland. No questions at all from the airlines or anybody else, they just scanned the passport as they always did when I had a valid eta. Nobody even saw the PRTD.

Bottom line, you should try to get a PRTD, but I think you have pretty good chances to go through if you are visa exempt and use to have an eta.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
CAUTION: At the very least, even a recently landed PR who has a visa exempt passport and had eTA, DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD CHANCE of being allowed to board a flight to Canada if the PR does not have a valid PR card or PR Travel Document.

And, for anyone who has been a PR for any significant period of time, even though the PR has a visa-exempt passport and had eTA for that passport, the odds of being allowed abroad a flight headed to Canada without having a PR card or PR TD are NOT at all anywhere near good. Actually the opposite.

So just for future references.

I am a new pr without the card which hasn’t been printed and delivered yet.

Had to travel to Germany for business and was worried about re entering since my eta on italianpassport was cancelled after I became a pr (I got an email from IRCC).

I weighed different options and ended up risking to get a PRTD from Vienna office. They were very fast and in between courier delivery, processing and delivery back I had the passport in 7 days (Wednesday to Wednesday).

Today I left from Stuttgart to London and from London to St. John’s Newfoundland. No questions at all from the airlines or anybody else, they just scanned the passport as they always did when I had a valid eta. Nobody even saw the PRTD.

Bottom line, you should try to get a PRTD, but I think you have pretty good chances to go through if you are visa exempt and use to have an eta.

To be clear, to the extent your conclusion suggests a PR with a visa exempt passport who had eTA has "pretty good chances" to board a flight to Canada without a PR card or a PR Travel Document, that is outright WRONG. The reporting illustrates that the OPPOSITE is far, far more likely.

If the intended suggestion LIMITS this to RECENTLY landed PRs, it is still WRONG, but perhaps not so definitively. There are a number of possible explanations why, IN THE PARTICULAR INSTANCE, a recently landed PR might be allowed to board a flight without presenting a PR card or a PR TD, but reports of it going this way are, at most, isolated (I have gone into detail about possible explanations why it MIGHT happen, elsewhere, without suggesting it is at all likely to go this way; there is no need to revisit such mere possibilities).

Moreover, your observation that "Nobody even saw the PRTD" is probably NOT RELEVANT (if it is even correct, since at most all you can really say is YOU did not observe anyone seeing the PR TD). In particular: No person saw the eTA either. Afterall, it is the passport itself which has been ELECTRONICALLY approved to be a Travel Document sufficient for boarding. That is, in addition to some other possible explanations for how, in this or that particular instance, a recently landed PR might be allowed to board a flight to Canada without presenting a PR card or PR TD, you did have the PR TD, the PR TD was part of the passport. The system almost certainly responded the way it did, allowing you to be issued a boarding pass, because you had been issued the PR TD.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
CAUTION: At the very least, even a recently landed PR who has a visa exempt passport and had eTA, DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD CHANCE of being allowed to board a flight to Canada if the PR does not have a valid PR card or PR Travel Document.

And, for anyone who has been a PR for any significant period of time, even though the PR has a visa-exempt passport and had eTA for that passport, the odds of being allowed abroad a flight headed to Canada without having a PR card or PR TD are NOT at all anywhere near good. Actually the opposite.

To be clear, to the extent your conclusion suggests a PR with a visa exempt passport who had eTA has "pretty good chances" to board a flight to Canada without a PR card or a PR Travel Document, that is outright WRONG. The reporting illustrates that the OPPOSITE is far, far more likely.

If the intended suggestion LIMITS this to RECENTLY landed PRs, it is still WRONG, but perhaps not so definitively. There are a number of possible explanations why, IN THE PARTICULAR INSTANCE, a recently landed PR might be allowed to board a flight without presenting a PR card or a PR TD, but reports of it going this way are, at most, isolated (I have gone into detail about possible explanations why it MIGHT happen, elsewhere, without suggesting it is at all likely to go this way; there is no need to revisit such mere possibilities).

Moreover, your observation that "Nobody even saw the PRTD" is probably NOT RELEVANT (if it is even correct, since at most all you can really say is YOU did not observe anyone seeing the PR TD). In particular: No person saw the eTA either. Afterall, it is the passport itself which has been ELECTRONICALLY approved to be a Travel Document sufficient for boarding. That is, in addition to some other possible explanations for how, in this or that particular instance, a recently landed PR might be allowed to board a flight to Canada without presenting a PR card or PR TD, you did have the PR TD, the PR TD was part of the passport. The system almost certainly responded the way it did, allowing you to be issued a boarding pass, because you had been issued the PR TD.
Can you provide references or sources on which you based above statements?

Something like web link, and not generic statements like “reports” or “reporting”.