+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP fingerprints timelines

nikcap

Mar 23, 2019
Its because IRCC can't work with an expired criminality clearance. Like I already mentioned, criminality clearance is valid only for 1 year. At the time of decision making, apparently, criminality, security and immigration clearances all have to be valid.

Because you were required to submit fingerprints before to obtain a criminality clearance, IRCC wants fingerprints again to get a new criminality clearance since the old one expired. RCMP, AFAIK doesn't store fingerprints. I think fingerprints are destroyed soon after a criminality clearance reported is issued.

As to "why" they have this policy in place, you'll have to ask IRCC about that.
Again, it clearly stated that they need to obtain clearance for the period which is in application. How this can logically expire if this was issued after this period?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Again, it clearly stated that they need to obtain clearance for the period which is in application. How this can logically expire if this was issued after this period?
I'm not sure why this is so confusing for you. It is really simple.

CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE IS VALID ONLY FOR 12 MONTHS. IF THE APPLICATION IS NOT APPROVED BEFORE THE CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE EXPIRES, A NEW CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE NEEDS TO BE OBTAINED.

Whatever you've mentioned "clearly stated that they need to obtain clearance for the period which is in application" doesn't make much sense. I do not understand what you mean by that.

Here is an example :

1. X submitted application in Jan 2020.

2. X received FP request in April 2020.

3. IRCC obtained criminality clearance on 5th May 2020 from RCMP and RCMP destroys the fingerprints. This clearance is valid only until 5th May 2021.

4. X's BG checks were set to "Completed".

5. Applicant receives a test invite in August 2021, completes the test in August 2021.

5. The application is delayed because of the pandemic.

6. X has been waiting and now, it is 6th May 2021 and no decision has been made on the application (That is, application hasn't been approved yet).

7. The criminality clearance obtained before is now EXPIRED because this clearance is valid only for 12 months. Since it has been more than 12 months since the previous criminality clearance was obtained, it can no longer be used to process the application.

8. IRCC sends another FP request to the applicant in May 2021.

9. X submits the FPs.

10. IRCC obtains another criminality clearance from RCMP in June 2021 and RCMP destroys the fingerprints.

11. BG Checks are set to "Completed" in July 2021.

and then the application proceeds.

I cannot simplify this any further. It is a very simple concept to understand.

nikcap

Mar 23, 2019

CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE IS VALID ONLY FOR 12 MONTHS. IF THE APPLICATION IS NOT APPROVED BEFORE THE CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE EXPIRES, A NEW CRIMINALITY CLEARANCE NEEDS TO BE OBTAINED.

Whatever you've mentioned "clearly stated that they need to obtain clearance for the period which is in application" doesn't make much sense. I do not understand what you mean by that.

Here is an example :

3. IRCC obtained criminality clearance on 5th May 2020 from RCMP and RCMP destroys the fingerprints. This clearance is valid only until 5th May 2021.

5. Applicant receives a test invite in August 2021, completes the test in August 2021.

6. X has been waiting and now, it is 6th May 2021 and no decision has been made on the application (That is, application hasn't been approved yet).

7. The criminality clearance obtained before is now EXPIRED because this clearance is valid only for 12 months. Since it has been more than 12 months since the previous criminality clearance was obtained, it can no longer be used to process the application.

9. X submits the FPs.

10. IRCC obtains another criminality clearance from RCMP in June 2021 and RCMP destroys the fingerprints.

Sometimes, rather than playing the smart guy, it's important to understand the question that was asked.
I asked completely different question.
I asked why validity exist (in general) for the assessment that was for instance for 5 years between 2014-2019.
It's pretty simple:
- your application covers 2014-2019
- you do background check on it in 2020
- you requested new background check on it in 2021 - period has't changed, nothing changed
the concept of 'validity' has zero sense if clearance during period of time was once confirmed

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Sometimes, rather than playing the smart guy, it's important to understand the question that was asked.
I asked completely different question.
I asked why validity exist (in general) for the assessment that was for instance for 5 years between 2014-2019.
It's pretty simple:
- your application covers 2014-2019
- you do background check on it in 2020
- you requested new background check on it in 2021 - period has't changed, nothing changed
the concept of 'validity' has zero sense if clearance during period of time was once confirmed
Well then you should have asked the question properly. " it clearly stated that they need to obtain clearance for the period which is in application" isn't very clear about what exactly you're asking.

Also, I did respond to the "why the validity exists" part in my previous response :

As to "why" they have this policy in place, you'll have to ask IRCC about that.
It exists because it is their policy. The policy makers decided that it would be best if the validity of the criminality clearance is 1 year and hence, it is 1 year.

I hope you see progress on your application soon if you've already applied. Good luck.

Pascal.H

May 26, 2015
Laval
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
Nomination.....
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
Med's Request
19-01-2017
Passport Req..
05-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-08-2017
Reactions: Kornet

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015

Here is an example :

9. X submits the FPs.

I have one question as follows;
I submitted my FP on July 01,
On July 21 , IRCC marked ad FP received

Is this received means received report result from RCMP or they just received my FP only?

My case still In Process
Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I have one question as follows;
I submitted my FP on July 01,
On July 21 , IRCC marked ad FP received

Is this received means received report result from RCMP or they just received my FP only?

My case still In Process
Thank you
I'm not very sure about this. "Received" comes in several weeks after you submitted FP AND when you submit FP, it directly goes to RCMP AFAIK. So, "Received" might mean that IRCC has received the clearance report from RCMP and is yet to update your BG information in the IRCC DB. Again, this is only what I think happens, I'm not very sure about this process.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
I'm not very sure about this. "Received" comes in several weeks after you submitted FP AND when you submit FP, it directly goes to RCMP AFAIK. So, "Received" might mean that IRCC has received the clearance report from RCMP and is yet to update your BG information in the IRCC DB. Again, this is only what I think happens, I'm not very sure about this process.
See the pictures. They received my FP on next day of submitted by the agency that took my fp. I think they only received the data not yet to send them to RCMP for clearance.

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Most of the senior members knows how much input Raj provided to this forum so I can't thank you enough Raj for your great support and help.

Keep it rocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram