+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talal205

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey guys, I'm trying to increase my IELTS scores to get that 8-7-7-7. I got so close with my first try, but even if I get it I will score a CRS of 464.
In other words, I don't seem to stand a chance building on what I read in the past couple of pages. I have no way of hitting 471 or over. Even more, taking IELTS is almost 2/3 of my monthly salary. So I guess I should just give up and limit my losses, right? Or do I stand a chance later on in your opinion?

dhruvbajaj39

Feb 19, 2021
Some good news regarding vaccines!
https://globalnews.ca/news/7728498/canada-pfizer-vaccine-delivery-june/
Pfizer has advanced the delivery schedule for Canada. It looks like every adult who wants a vaccine will get the first shot by end of June, and possibly fully vaccinated by end of July, depending on the availability. Combine that with J&J vaccines arriving next month, September (which was the promised deadline) sounds like a very conservative estimate for every adult to get vaccinated. Also note that a recent study showed that just the first shot of pfizer is about 80% effective after 2 weeks. So cases (and certainly hospitalizations and deaths) should start dropping steeply from mid summer. Look at how well Israel is doing, that's a sign of things to come in Canada.

What does this mean for FSW draws?
Since FSW draws seem to be tied to border closures, which in turn are tied to the success of the vaccines, it looks like there is a very good chance FSW draws will start in the next 2-3 months (assuming they start FSW draws once they anticipate the borders to open in the near future).
Great analysis. I have also been following these websites to predict when they will ease border restrictions. Yes right now cases are rising a bit but in the long term I think we can all agree that considering consistent testing, precautions and quarantine Canada SHOULD resume FSW draws and allow outlanders in.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Hey guys, I'm trying to increase my IELTS scores to get that 8-7-7-7. I got so close with my first try, but even if I get it I will score a CRS of 464.
In other words, I don't seem to stand a chance building on what I read in the past couple of pages. I have no way of hitting 471 or over. Even more, taking IELTS is almost 2/3 of my monthly salary. So I guess I should just give up and limit my losses, right? Or do I stand a chance later on in your opinion?
What is your score right now? There is a chance you could fall into the sweet spot and get a provincial nomination depending on your work experience. There is a chance that scores may get into the low 460s in a year or so with consistent draws. That being said, you have a few options. Higher education, education in Canada, learning french, 3 years experience. Nobody can give you an answer as to whether or not it is worth it. Decide how important it is to you, and evaluate your options.

trushitpatel

Star Member
Oct 21, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Hey. I gave IELTS 6 times and then I got my desire bands after a year. So it’s not easy to get require bands in very first trial unless you are native speaker. I understand IELTS fess is relatively high. Looking for the bright side, if you score high, at least CLB 10 in 2 modules then your CRS will be 470. Just consider that you are investing for your future.

student888

Jun 13, 2019
Not sure if this will affect the CRS score much but the results for the H1-B visa lottery came out over the past few days and lots of highly qualified and experienced professionals who didn’t get selected for the H1-B visa are looking to apply to Canada as their plan B.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not sure if this will affect the CRS score much but the results for the H1-B visa lottery came out over the past few days and lots of highly qualified and experienced professionals who didn’t get selected for the H1-B visa are looking to apply to Canada as their plan B.
That is not a new factor. Even the people who have H1B have been applying for Canada for a long time now. I know a few who applied for Canada PR stayed here to get citizenship and have now moved back to US either on TN visa or L visas.

Reactions: novascotia27

SovonHalder

Star Member
Mar 27, 2021
India
I don't think the score will drop but I am not 100% sure. You should book another test either way and get try to get CLB10 in all modules, with CD test, you will get results in 5 days which way faster than EOR.
I have verbal and written (mail) confirmation from IELTS that their policy of score is to increase or keep it same, but to never decrease it.
I have decided however not to go for EOR after due consideration. Cut-off will increase, reaching 480 and above in all probability. But it has to come down in a month or two (3-4 draws). Judging by the pool size as per the latest information that's available, there are roughly 11K people above me. Even if FSW draws don't happen in the next 5 months, number of people @471 and above will probably not exceed 20K. Even if it does it has to come down after 5-6 draws because above 470 isn't sustainable. Assuming CEC and PNP draws keep on going in parallel, I guess it will take maybe 3 months for that many FSW draws to take place.

Speculations aside, thinking of 474 vs 471 I can't see any exceptional benefit of this 3 CRS points. With 474 I might have to wait 1 month for cut-off to come down and with 471 I might have to wait 2 months. I just can't justify the wait time of 1-2 months extra to gamble with 10K INR. If I had the chance to get maybe 6 points in EOR I would have definitely gone for it.

Obvious things that I see in front of me to improve my score is higher degree and learning french. I don't know how long the latter is going to take but I'm hoping to start soon. Please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming in any of these.

Talal205

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey. I gave IELTS 6 times and then I got my desire bands after a year. So it’s not easy to get require bands in very first trial unless you are native speaker. I understand IELTS fess is relatively high. Looking for the bright side, if you score high, at least CLB 10 in 2 modules then your CRS will be 470. Just consider that you are investing for your future.
What I fear is, given how many people are on hold, the score might not get lower any time soon, and I'm not getting any younger so I'll lose 5 more points had I not score CLB9 soon.
With that being said, I'm willing to try and try again until I get CLB9, but that would be my limit.
So thanks for your kind reply and I can only hope I can score what I desire.

Talal205

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
What is your score right now? There is a chance you could fall into the sweet spot and get a provincial nomination depending on your work experience. There is a chance that scores may get into the low 460s in a year or so with consistent draws. That being said, you have a few options. Higher education, education in Canada, learning french, 3 years experience. Nobody can give you an answer as to whether or not it is worth it. Decide how important it is to you, and evaluate your options.
Thanks for your kind response. Right now I have only 406 points but if I can achieve CLB9 I'll get 464. Unfortunately I can't get any higher than that. I have a masters' degree and 3 years work experience. My French is level-zero. Also, I'm from Syria so I can't come to Canada as a student nor as a visitor.

NikSharma01

Champion Member
Jan 3, 2019
Results: Rounds of invitations
Ministerial Instructions respecting invitations to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry system #180 – March 31, 2021

Provincial Nominee Program

See full text of Ministerial Instruction

Number of invitations issued: 284Footnote*

Rank required to be invited to apply: 284th or above

Date and time of round: March 31, 2021 at 11:21:22 UTC

CRS score of lowest-ranked candidate invited: 778

Tie-breaking rule: March 16, 2021 at 16:09:32 UTC
  • If more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.
Footnotes
Footnote *
Candidates from the Provincial Nominee Program were eligible for this round of invitations.

JOIN NEXT RAY OF HOPE THREAD:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ray-of-hope-180th-draw-pnp.727165/

Emil1

Aug 18, 2019
Hey guys, I want your opinion.
Score of 478, waiting for FSW...
Would you think about going through studies instead? taking in consideration that we don't know when invitations will resume, and that after invitation I will have to wait fo at least 10 months before PR. I don't know what to do, but, even if I go through studies I would have to plan for January/May 2022 intake.
I'm turning 29 next month, so I have a year left before I lose points for age.

BTW, My NOC is eligible for Ontario tech draws, but, if they don't choose people with higher scores than 468 I won't receive a nomination.

Last edited:

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
I have verbal and written (mail) confirmation from IELTS that their policy of score is to increase or keep it same, but to never decrease it.
I have decided however not to go for EOR after due consideration. Cut-off will increase, reaching 480 and above in all probability. But it has to come down in a month or two (3-4 draws). Judging by the pool size as per the latest information that's available, there are roughly 11K people above me. Even if FSW draws don't happen in the next 5 months, number of people @471 and above will probably not exceed 20K. Even if it does it has to come down after 5-6 draws because above 470 isn't sustainable. Assuming CEC and PNP draws keep on going in parallel, I guess it will take maybe 3 months for that many FSW draws to take place.

Speculations aside, thinking of 474 vs 471 I can't see any exceptional benefit of this 3 CRS points. With 474 I might have to wait 1 month for cut-off to come down and with 471 I might have to wait 2 months. I just can't justify the wait time of 1-2 months extra to gamble with 10K INR. If I had the chance to get maybe 6 points in EOR I would have definitely gone for it.

Obvious things that I see in front of me to improve my score is higher degree and learning french. I don't know how long the latter is going to take but I'm hoping to start soon. Please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming in any of these.
In that case, wait till June and see what the situation will be, you will be in a much better position at 474 than 471. If I were you, I would try my best to get CLB10 and have some peace of mind of maxing out the score.

Masters gives 7 extra points and for French, you can play around in the CRS tool to see how many extra points you can get. Learning French from scratch is a gigantic task.

SovonHalder

Star Member
Mar 27, 2021
India
478 is great and you'll be sitting on that for another 13 months. Do you think you can get an ITA in 13 months? I'd guess so.
My score is nowhere this good and never will be unless I do masters or learn a whole new language. It's been 48 hours I'm in the EE pool as an FSW candidate with CRS score 471. I was originally thinking of requesting EOR (to max out writing; from 7 to 7.5), but then I decided not to. Just an hour ago I wrote here why. I'd love to hear your opinion about my assumptions & current position, if you please.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Thanks for your kind response. Right now I have only 406 points but if I can achieve CLB9 I'll get 464. Unfortunately I can't get any higher than that. I have a masters' degree and 3 years work experience. My French is level-zero. Also, I'm from Syria so I can't come to Canada as a student nor as a visitor.
Ah seeing as age is also a factor, your options are limited. Your best bet is to get the 464, and hope you get picked for PNP or a tech draw. If you get 464 and you decide to learn french, that would get you to over 500 points, and age will be inconsequential. I learned french from scratch and it took me 9ish months. See if that's an option and if you're willing to commit for a year of dedicated study.

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
I am on 478.

The thing that concerns me the most is if Canada decides to reduce the number of FSW invites per round, even by slightest margin.

Until last year they were sending 5000 FSW invites out every round like hot cakes. Even a small reduction in number invites will make the pool extremely competitive. Not to mention it will get worse as every single candidate will try to max out their scores however possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.