+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1006777

From what do you get that there is a lot of nepotism there ?
Just to offer some perspective, there will be nepotism literally everywhere. I have lived in a few countries, and it's held true everywhere. It's not unique to Canada. Knowing people and building your network are far more valuable than anything else in job searching, and that's true everywhere.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Just to offer some perspective, there will be nepotism literally everywhere. I have lived in a few countries, and it's held true everywhere. It's not unique to Canada. Knowing people and building your network are far more valuable than anything else in job searching, and that's true everywhere.
Nepotism normally happens in cases where jobs skillset are easily attainable by the general populace. These would typically be in lower-paying jobs, moderate-paying ones that doesn't require a tedious certification to get into such as truck drivers, and in certain scenarios such as positions with low demand, and high supply.

Certain jobs have some degree of immunity from nepotism simply because these positions requires a specific skillset to be a meaningful to a business. For example, you won't give a vaccine research position to a collage dropout applicant instead of a PhD applicant with multiple credentials, just because the dropout happens to be your bestfriend in high school. That would affect the company's bottom line.

If you're saying that generally speaking Canadians prefers Canadians, and Americans prefers American, etc.. I think that's already a given, since any company would prefer to hire locally than go through the tedious process of hiring someone from abroad, but only provided they have the certain skillset to make it worthwhile.

Igethope

Sep 17, 2019
Pls is compulsory you own a company in your application? Heard some one got rejected because IRcc found out about this. Thinking of raising a web form to add this info to my application.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Nepotism normally happens in cases where jobs skillset are easily attainable by the general populace. These would typically be in lower-paying jobs, moderate-paying ones that doesn't require a tedious certification to get into such as truck drivers, and in certain scenarios such as positions with low demand, and high supply.

Certain jobs have some degree of immunity from nepotism simply because these positions requires a specific skillset to be a meaningful to a business. For example, you won't give a vaccine research position to a collage dropout applicant instead of a PhD applicant with multiple credentials, just because the dropout happens to be your bestfriend in high school. That would affect the company's bottom line.

If you're saying that generally speaking Canadians prefers Canadians, and Americans prefers American, etc.. I think that's already a given, since any company would prefer to hire locally than go through the tedious process of hiring someone from abroad, but only provided they have the certain skillset to make it worthwhile.
Lol. The differentials in the examples you cite are just too big. Immunity may apply if you are a C-suite exec working in Europe for a multi-national company, and now want to move to Canada for some reason.

That PhD candidate you mention better be a Oxcam guy from EU, or a Ivy league guy from the U.S. I wonder why will they even want to move to Canada.

I know foreign PhDs driving Uber. One I know also teaches at a community college.(basic Finance 101). Now here's where nepotism would have worked: had this PhD known someone who is the chair, or Dean at a university(usually a much older fellow immigrant from the same country they would have taught at a university). If ones mom/dad/aunt/uncle/sister works in government, they can easily place their children in another department. (Because employees get transferred from one department to the other, so they know everyone in every department, just simple collusion)

Please talk to a lot people who are already here and I hope they open up. Many don't say a thing out of the fear of being looked at as anti-immigrant/unsuccessful.
Foreign credentials are not valued here unless they are from the top universities from respected first world countries.

For a first world country, this nepotism is just too much.

Here's one article(even foreign students with Canadian education are paid lesser):
Read Nicholas Keung's latest article on Toronto Star.

I am done with this topic.

Last edited:

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Unfortunately, CIC decisions have been extremely illogical. Stopping FSW draws due to travel restrictions is completely asinine. For the first batch of CEC only draws, it made sense, becasue VACs outside of canada were all closed. But now they are largely open, albeit at a limited capacity. The fact that Canada has travel restrictions has absolutely no bearing on people outside of Canada who haven't reecived ITAs yet, since FSW applications are taking over a year to process anyway. I do hope FSW draws start soon, but outside of wasting mre money on a canadian degree, the pathways to residency seem to closing in Canada as well.

Note that Canada and Australia are the only two developed countries that offer direct residency. Everywhere else, you have to go on a work visa, and then apply for residency after a few years. And in most cases, you need to have a student visa to even have a shot at a work visa. Canada appears to be slowly shifting towards this as well. From Canada's ppoint of view, this makes perfect sense, as it incentivizes people to study in Canada, brining in more money. Any increase in competition will only ensure that the top percentile of students make it to Canada.

All that being said, I do hope that I am absolutely wrong about everything.
Australia has already made it extremely difficult for outlanders to get PR, almost impossible.

I studied Masters in Aus and failed to secure PR within the span of my graduate visa due to low English score. Now I’m in India for last 3 months and have managed to finally score 8s in IELTS. So my Aus points increased from 75 to 85. But I don’t think that’s going to be enough in future. Still hoping for state sponsorship but currently they are not inviting outlanders which is what I am now.

I’ve submitted EE profile at 478 CRS. Eagerly waiting for the next FSW draw. Already started working on French to improve score as I’ve nothing else to do.

Masters in both countries is nothing but a billion dollars industry for govt, and gateway to improve PR chances for applicants. But as they make it difficult for outlanders to get PR more people will start investing thousands of dollars for studies in hopes of coming inland for better PR chances. Aus has learned this and Canada might follow suit.

My life is at a standstill but at least there’s hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaenique

Emil1

Aug 18, 2019
Australia has already made it extremely difficult for outlanders to get PR, almost impossible.

I’ve studied Masters in Aus and failed to secure PR within the span of my graduate visa due to low English score. Now I’m in India for last 3 months and have managed to finally score 8s in IELTS. So my Aus points increased from 75 to 85. But I don’t think that’s going to be enough in future. Still hoping for state sponsorship but currently they are not inviting outlanders which is what I am now.

I’ve submitted EE profile at 478 CRS. Eagerly waiting for the next FSW draw. Already started working on French to improve score as I’ve nothing else to do.

Masters in both countries is nothing but a billion dollars industry for govt, and gateway to improve PR chances for applicants. But as they make it difficult for outlanders to get PR more people will start investing thousands of dollars for studies in hopes of coming inland for better PR chances. Aus has learned this and Canada might follow suit.

How hard are you studying french?
I'm also at 478, but I feel like that score should be enough if they start again with the FSW draws. Do you think that it won't be enough?
I have an A2 level in french, but I'm not studying right now because I didn't think that it would be neccessary.

D

Deleted member 1006777

We're talking about slightly different things. In the example of vaccine research, the more well connected PhD is likely to get a job, not to mention, is much more likely to be interviewd in the first place. This is true regardless of country. It's not about canadians preferring canadians. We should be comparing similar profiles, so two PhDs both having equal work authorization int eh country, just that one has better conenctions in the industry.

D

Deleted member 1006777

I’ve studied Masters in Aus and failed to secure PR within the span of my graduate visa due to low English score. Now I’m in India for last 3 months and have managed to finally score 8s in IELTS. So my Aus points increased from 75 to 85. But I don’t think that’s going to be enough in future. Still hoping for state sponsorship but currently they are not inviting outlanders which is what I am now.

Yeah that's what I meant. Since you're at 478, you don't need a high level in french. I'm not sure, but I think a B1 would suffice. There's a good chance that you can get to that level before the end of the summer, assuming of course, that you put in the time. I think a B1 would get you a measly 4 points, but that would putyou at 482 and more likely push you to getting an ITA in teh first FSW draw. :)

Edit: I think B1 gets you 10 points, and A2, 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 001875 and Rish92

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
How hard are you studying french?
I'm also at 478, but I feel like that score should be enough if they start again with the FSW draws. Do you think that it won't be enough?
I have an A2 level in french, but I'm not studying right now because I didn't think that it would be neccessary.
Not too hard at the moment. 2-3 hours a week. Waiting to see how next couple of months pan out with FSW draws.
I’m living off the money I got from selling my car and stuff in Australia, which will be enough for another 6 months. I’m hoping to have an ITA by then becoz my parents will start questioning my life choices and future plans lol

Last edited:
Reactions: he5ham
D

Deleted member 1006777

months of boring french sessions only to see the cutoff fall back down to 475 in two or three draws... that's partly a joke but it's what happened last year. I think the 4 points from french is there really just to save you until the age of 31... it's a nice language though, might open doors in canada.
I'll say this. I delayed learning french because back then, the scores never crossed 456. Until they did. If I hadn't delayed, the 10 point increase (in my case, it would've been 10 points) would've easily gotten me an ITA in early 2019. And here I am because I decided to start learning 4 months late.

I only mention 4 points because I think that's what you get for an A2 which is very very easy to achieve. You're right though, it's kind of silly to learn a language just for this (although that's exactly what I did, and I have zero regrets). I want to do everything I can so my application begins as quickly as possible.

Reactions: voyager123

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
I'll say this. I delayed learning french because back then, the scores never crossed 456. Until they did. If I hadn't delayed, the 10 point increase (in my case, it would've been 10 points) would've easily gotten me an ITA in early 2019. And here I am because I decided to start learning 4 months late.

I only mention 4 points because I think that's what you get for an A2 which is very very easy to achieve. You're right though, it's kind of silly to learn a language just for this (although that's exactly what I did, and I have zero regrets). I want to do everything I can so my application begins as quickly as possible.
Better to learn French than invest thousands of dollars on Canadian education

apple121

Nov 6, 2020

I studied Masters in Aus and failed to secure PR within the span of my graduate visa due to low English score. Now I’m in India for last 3 months and have managed to finally score 8s in IELTS. So my Aus points increased from 75 to 85. But I don’t think that’s going to be enough in future. Still hoping for state sponsorship but currently they are not inviting outlanders which is what I am now.

But Canada doesn't, for example now you get 50 points for French language skills(instead of 25), basically if you have good levels of English and French, you can get the ITA easily.

Reactions: hydrizxcv
Status
Not open for further replies.