Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Same thing in Australia. Most of the “high skilled” immigrants end up driving Uber and doing other menial jobs.
The country’s infrastructure isn’t big enough to support professional jobs for huge number of immigrants every year, but govt sends out massive no. of invitations as a shortcut to boost economic growth.
Few years ago, shift in populist opinion on immigration made govt to cap the yearly immigrants intake, making it super hard for aspirants, without a skilled job (like me), to get PR.

But that’s what we as immigrants sign up for. No matter what kind of gun you were in your field, back in your home country, you can’t expect to get a decent skilled job in new country, with which you have ties, straight away. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up. The ones with no preconceived notion of any skills superiority are the ones who adapt and thrive.

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
That's one way to put it, but another reason why people from poorer countries strive to get to Canada is that there's no "grass" we can work to begin with.

My guess is those PhD Uber drivers you mentioned, if they do came from a poor country, is probably making more than twice than they would have, if they stick to the country where they are from and worked as a professor. This is coming from someone whose lives in a country that has an average ANNUAL salary of just $3,000. I wonder how much Canada Uber drivers make in a year.
A lot of nonsense being spouted here. If one has a PhD is a desirable field e.g. Tech, Hard Science then I've noticed them easily getting jobs in their field or a related field. Some may had have to take a Master's here to convert their qualifications but then there transition is smooth sailing. Then there are those with 'PhDs' in things like Literature or Pharmacy that won't find employment because their skillset isn't valuable. One shouldn't deserve a job just because they have a PhD.

TLDR: The free market is alive and well in Canada. If your skillset is in demand, you will get the appropriate job. If your skillset is not valuable then tough luck

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
A lot of nonsense being spouted here. If one has a PhD is a desirable field e.g. Tech, Hard Science then I've noticed them easily getting jobs in their field or a related field. Some may had have to take a Master's here to convert their qualifications but then there transition is smooth sailing. Then there are those with 'PhDs' in things like Literature or Pharmacy that won't find employment because their skillset isn't valuable. One shouldn't deserve a job just because they have a PhD.

TLDR: The free market is alive and well in Canada. If your skillset is in demand, you will get the appropriate job. If your skillset is not valuable then tough luck
You seem to be involved in admissions, careers and study permits as I see. You have every reason to sell this BS.

You don't know the difference between 'their' and 'there'

Reactions: Uncle Yayo

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
I and others like me went thru all 5 stages of grief, from denial to depression, and finally acceptance, while trying to get that Australian PR

Those Oz forums used to be lit with arguments counter arguments on immigration. Now it’s a ghost town there.

Hope IRCC brings some level consistency in the proceedings for us to gauge our future. Until then... well... I’ll just sit tight.... and learn some French.

Reactions: guelphite

Kiran Jayachandran

Jan 1, 2019
your crs is 478 which is more than enough. the problem we're facing in 2021 is not fsw crs cutoffs skyrocketing, but it is the possibility of Canada only taking in CECs and PNPs and other inlanders and not even considering outlanders. if that comes to pass then french, or even english, becomes useless. what becomes useful is the dollar you'd need to pay some canadian school to get PGWP and become CEC and get PR.
What are the chances of getting student visa with 6 years GAP (Age 30)

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
No grass is an equivalent to a war-torn country, and Canada has done a good job bringing those people in. That is a great humanitarian gesture.

Let me give you the punch line: Economic immigration for the most part is mere exploitation. The big bracket earners(doctors, lawyers etc) pay the highest taxes and that sustains the infrastructure, healthcare etc. The government only needs to fill in the middle, and lower level labour, and immigrants do that for them. Lot of volume here. I just feel sad to see good talent wasted.

So while the barriers to entry are high(CRS scores etc.), they don't give a damn when a PhD works at Tims or is driving a Uber. They are happy as long as one pays whatever taxes are due(big volume--lots of people). They are selling a dream, and people are buying into it.
I do agree on the exploitation part, but then again I'll rather be exploited to Canada and end up in the middle or lower income bracket, than stay in a country where even being in the top 20% of earners feels poorer compared to Canada's lowest 20%.

If you're already wasting your talents in the country you're living in because of the extremely cheap price of labor, what's wrong with doing it in Canada? At least finally, you'd be able to afford that cup of Tim Horton's coffee.

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
I do agree on the exploitation part, but then again I'll rather be exploited to Canada and end up in the middle or lower income bracket, than stay in a country where even being in the top 20% of earners feels poorer compared to Canada's lowest 20%.

If you're already wasting your talents in the country you're living in because of the extremely cheap price of labor, what's wrong with doing it in Canada? At least finally, you'd be able to afford that cup of Tim Horton's coffee.
I wonder if Canada is so bad, why would our friend coolgal still bother pursuing his life there?

For some people, Canada is not their first choice. Actually immigration was not even our first choice when we were born. So if one chooses US, and later consider Canada, it is totally fine. As we live on, as the world keeps changing, we have the right to adjust our plan, too. This does not prove that Canada is a worse choice. But as time goes by, Canada becomes the best choice that one can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.