Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Yes thanks for sharing the link, I checked it, but the missing info. and my question is about the NET Salary After TAX. As 55K is gross.
All the salaries on glassdoor (and whenever you are discussing salaries in North American in general) refer to gross (before tax) figures. Nobody talks in terms of after tax salaries, since the tax paid depends a lot on the individual. When discussing salaries with potential employers, do not even bring up after tax pay.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
42k per year in Toronto is survival level only. I am taking the point of view where your wife will be at home with child. For starters count around 1500 to 1800 per month for an apartment there (yes you might hit something lower but at a cost of intensive communing or others). Add to it basic things like phone bills, hydro bill, internet and travelling costs, and that will give you around 2500 CAD per month. And none of your family has even eaten. Count app. 10-15 CAD per person and day for food. So that is 1000 to 1500 per month there. So with that salary for 3 people you will be barely surviving. Good luck.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
42k per year in Toronto is survival level only. I am taking the point of view where your wife will be at home with child. For starters count around 1500 to 1800 per month for an apartment there (yes you might hit something lower but at a cost of intensive communing or others). Add to it basic things like phone bills, hydro bill, internet and travelling costs, and that will give you around 2500 CAD per month. And none of your family has even eaten. Count app. 10-15 CAD per person and day for food. So that is 1000 to 1500 per month there. So with that salary for 3 people you will be barely surviving. Good luck.
Compared to many job postings I've seen, 55k per year gross isn't all that unusual. I guess people who really want to be there find a way to make it work.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Compared to many job postings I've seen, 55k per year gross isn't all that unusual. I guess people who really want to be there find a way to make it work.
Yes, as I noted, glassdoor shows closer to $45k gross as average postdoc fellow salary in Toronto. Keep in mind that a postdoc position is generally an entry level position for a recent PhD graduate, so it is expected to be low relative to professor jobs and especially jobs in the corporate world that utilize PhDs. And yes, people who really want to be there will manage to survive fine on even lower salaries in the beginning. Plenty of immigrants have to take survival jobs in the beginning, and this postdoc fellowship pays better than those and is a good stepping stone to higher paying PhD positions. Where there is a will, there is a way!

sundar17feb99

Apr 30, 2017
Chennai - India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Nomination.....
05-01-2018
AOR Received.
25-01-2018
IELTS Request
R9L8W6.5S6.5
Med's Done....
09-02-2018
Passport Req..
20-03-2018
Yes, as I noted, glassdoor shows closer to $45k gross as average postdoc fellow salary in Toronto. Keep in mind that a postdoc position is generally an entry level position for a recent PhD graduate, so it is expected to be low relative to professor jobs and especially jobs in the corporate world that utilize PhDs. And yes, people who really want to be there will manage to survive fine on even lower salaries in the beginning. Plenty of immigrants have to take survival jobs in the beginning, and this postdoc fellowship pays better than those and is a good stepping stone to higher paying PhD positions. Where there is a will, there is a way!
Hello mate, I vividly remember that you had done job search and even attended some interviews.
Do you have any opinion about the entry level job openings and salary structure. I have done a basic research and I believe entry level jobs in fast food joints can only accommodate our basic needs (800 CAD for shared rent and other expenses).But my analysis were solely based from cream layered articles and youtube videos.
Can you shed some light on expected salary for us new immigrants ?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sure he can live from it. Alone of course. In that case it will be best for his wife and child to stay home. Then he can rent a room instead of a whole apartment. So that would cut his costs significantly.
That is 42k for 3 people or 14k per year and person.
Another possibility would be for his wife to find work. But that would have only sense if she would earn more than 1300 per month. To equal cost for child day care and here commuting to work.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello mate, I vividly remember that you had done job search and even attended some interviews.
Do you have any opinion about the entry level job openings and salary structure. I have done a basic research and I believe entry level jobs in fast food joints can only accommodate our basic needs (800 CAD for shared rent and other expenses).But my analysis were solely based from cream layered articles and youtube videos.
Thing is, that shared rent is only for a single person. Preferably student or a girl or both. And non smoker and no pets. Just sometimes also for young couple or 2 girls or 2 boys.
Plus those taking as example job by Tim Horton already calculated in, that you will only live on the food from work.

Family with a small child on the other hand needs own apartment. Shared apartment is practically out of question.
That is why I have classed rent in Toronto so high - 1500 to 1800 easily. But then again you can choose, either decent commuting route or a bit cheaper rent but with a car on the top, so you will end up with the same.
Since one simple meal in fast foods is app 9-10 CAD, hence my estimation for cost of home cooked food for the day and person is about 10-15 CAD (3 meals a day).
So yes you can survive on that, but any saving is out of question and any accidental expense (broken car, expensive medicament that might not be covered by insurance from your employer), is a dear issue.

Aug 30, 2017
hello all !!!

I have completed my IELTS and i scored

listening : 5.5

Reading : 5.0

Writing : 5.5

Speaking : 6.0

over all : 5.5

can you please help me weather am eligible for PNP ?

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I have been targeting IT jobs the greater Toronto area and had several interviews with two different companies in Toronto. One was a very large and established company (the one that took several months to give me an answer), and the other a smaller and younger company that was founded 3 years ago. I have only really researched IT salaries and have not done any research on survival job salaries.

For IT salaries (I'm referring generally to NOC codes 2171, 2172, 2173, 2174, 0213) in Toronto, entry level is around 55-65k, mid level 65k-90k, senior level and architects 90k-130k. Technology manager or director 85k-145k.

It also varies depends on the size and industry of the company. Smaller startups tend to pay less.

I am talking about gross salaries above. Note that North Americans only talk in terms of gross salaries.

You might also need to take a job at a slightly more junior level than what you're currently doing, but do not apply for jobs in your field that you are significantly over-qualified for. You don't want to come off as being desperate, because desperation is very unattractive to employers. Of course, a survival job is different and could be a good way to bring money in immediately, as long as you can work out a flexible enough schedule that allows for enough time to keep looking seriously for a job in your field.

If you are single and have no kids and don't mind living with a few roommates, you can certainly get shared accommodation for cheap. I am hoping to get shared accommodation for $400-$600/month for my share of rent that is in the city and near transportation, until I am ready to buy a place. In fact, that is exactly what I did when I first moved to New York, which has higher cost of living than Toronto, and I bought my first property after a year and a half.

KingKurly

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2017
Kathmandu
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure what the prevailing wages are for postdoc fellowships, but from what I know about wages in technology and cost of living in Toronto, I would say $55k plus benefits sounds very good.

As for the extra points for arranged employment, it definitely would not get you 200 points. Only very senior level positions (basically C level executives) with NOC code beginning in 00 get 200 points. However, it might qualify for 50 points. You would need to determine the NOC code. See this thread for a discussion:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/noc-for-postdoc.101968/
My brother-in-law got into Post Doctoral program at University of Waterloo. He too would be getting CAD 55 K basic. He didn't mention anything or and i didn't ask any thing in relation to benefit either. From what i learned, 55 K is more than what a couple can earn combined working basic jobs. So, to add benefits, it is like icing on the cake!