+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 71st Draw!

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Dear Fellows,
I have a potential offer of PostDoc Fellowship in Toronto (ON) with a package of CAD 55,000 + Benefits (per annum). I don't know yet exact benefits, but one thing is certain that FAMILY INSURANCE & DENTAL would be covered, as per their policy. Postdoc fellowship is a Taxable Income, I don't know yet what exact would be my NET Salary.

I have a family with 1 Child (3 Yrs), do you think this package is sufficient enough to maintain a good life standard? I am a bit skeptical about it.

Your valuable opinions would be appreciated, kindly share your experience.

Thanks!
Offhand, I think you should thank your lucky stars for this. If you aren't willing to face some hardship, then let someone else have the opportunity who wants it more.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Offhand, I think you should thank your lucky stars for this. If you aren't willing to face some hardship, then let someone else have the opportunity who wants it more.
haha, no I even was not sure, that this postdoc fellowship is being considered as 'Arranged Employment'. Do you think I can get 200 Points in EE through this offer,, is so, ofcourse money comes after!

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
haha, no I even was not sure, that this postdoc fellowship is being considered as 'Arranged Employment'. Do you think I can get 200 Points in EE through this offer,, is so, ofcourse money comes after!
I'm not sure what the prevailing wages are for postdoc fellowships, but from what I know about wages in technology and cost of living in Toronto, I would say $55k plus benefits sounds very good.

As for the extra points for arranged employment, it definitely would not get you 200 points. Only very senior level positions (basically C level executives) with NOC code beginning in 00 get 200 points. However, it might qualify for 50 points. You would need to determine the NOC code. See this thread for a discussion:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/noc-for-postdoc.101968/

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
@jojee2k6 also see over here. However, this appears under temporary workers. I think your postdoc fellowship would need to be a permanent job offer with LMIA in order to qualify for the 50 extra points

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Post-doctoral fellows awarded a Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and research award recipients [C44]

Note: There are two categories of workers captured under C44: post-doctoral fellows awarded a Doctorate of Philosophy and award recipients.

Post-doctoral fellows holding a Ph.D. or its equivalent
Foreign nationals in this category may be appointed to a time-limited position granting a stipend or a salary to compensate for periods of teaching, advanced study and/or research. It is work designed to obtain the highest expertise possible in a particular discipline, and candidates are chosen on the basis of academic excellence.

The applicant must have completed, or be expecting to complete shortly, their doctorate and be working in a field related to that in which they earned, or are earning, their Ph.D.

Post-doctoral fellows can either be the direct recipients of an award or be offered a time-limited position to undertake research on behalf of or as part of a team of researchers. Universities vary in their methods and criteria used in assessing candidates and offering post-doctoral fellowships. Officers should assess the written offer from a responsible academic official (professor or higher), which will state the amount of remuneration and the location, nature and expected duration of the term of employment.

Occupational code
For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian university or educational institution, the 2011 NOC code should be 4011.

For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian entity that is not an educational institution, their field of specialty should be used. For example, a geologist with a doctorate may work as a geologist and not as a post-doctoral fellow, in which case the 2011 NOC code would be 2113.

Reactions: ivancabrer

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
@jojee2k6 also see over here. However, this appears under temporary workers. I think your postdoc fellowship would need to be a permanent job offer with LMIA in order to qualify for the 50 extra points

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Post-doctoral fellows awarded a Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and research award recipients [C44]

Note: There are two categories of workers captured under C44: post-doctoral fellows awarded a Doctorate of Philosophy and award recipients.

Post-doctoral fellows holding a Ph.D. or its equivalent
Foreign nationals in this category may be appointed to a time-limited position granting a stipend or a salary to compensate for periods of teaching, advanced study and/or research. It is work designed to obtain the highest expertise possible in a particular discipline, and candidates are chosen on the basis of academic excellence.

The applicant must have completed, or be expecting to complete shortly, their doctorate and be working in a field related to that in which they earned, or are earning, their Ph.D.

Post-doctoral fellows can either be the direct recipients of an award or be offered a time-limited position to undertake research on behalf of or as part of a team of researchers. Universities vary in their methods and criteria used in assessing candidates and offering post-doctoral fellowships. Officers should assess the written offer from a responsible academic official (professor or higher), which will state the amount of remuneration and the location, nature and expected duration of the term of employment.

Occupational code
For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian university or educational institution, the 2011 NOC code should be 4011.

For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian entity that is not an educational institution, their field of specialty should be used. For example, a geologist with a doctorate may work as a geologist and not as a post-doctoral fellow, in which case the 2011 NOC code would be 2113.
Thanks, but based upon the information you provided, I think I fall under this category of 'Post-doctoral fellows holding a Ph.D. or its equivalent', as I would have a university offer, though for 2-year project. I am not sure even yet :(

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Thanks, but based upon the information you provided, I think I fall under this category of 'Post-doctoral fellows holding a Ph.D. or its equivalent', as I would have a university offer, though for 2-year project. I am not sure even yet :(
That sounds like temporary employment that would not qualify as Arranged Employment. Although you won't be getting the extra points right now, it does sound like a great opportunity and well paying for a postdoc fellowship. And you get 25 extra points after working in Canada for 1 year and 50 after working for 2 for Canadian work experience. So, be happy about your postdoc fellowship and congrats!

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
That sounds like temporary employment that would not qualify as Arranged Employment. Although you won't be getting the extra points right now, it does sound like a great opportunity and well paying for a postdoc fellowship. And you get 25 extra points after working in Canada for 1 year and 50 after working for 2 for Canadian work experience. So, be happy about your postdoc fellowship and congrats!
Ah OK! no issue for the moment. So C44 is being exempted from LMIA hence no points. Anyways, My initial concern while posting the thread was about the 55K, which now, thanks to your and others humble and valuable opinions, I knew it's enough in Ontario, hence desperately waiting for the offer letter, then to boost CRS, of course would try for IELTS or CLB ;) the last resort. Thanks again! really feeling happy now

Reactions: trumprefugee

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
FYI glassdoor is a very good resource for researching salaries, as well as the inside scoop on interviewing and working at many companies. A quick search for postdoctoral fellowship salaries in Toronto gives these results with average around $45k. You can narrow down by your institution and your field to get a more accurate estimate of what a competitive salary would be for you:
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/University-of-Toronto-Postdoctoral-Fellow-Salaries-E31043_D_KO22,41.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/toronto-postdoctoral-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IM976_KO8,20.htm

Reactions: andieangel

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
FYI glassdoor is a very good resource for researching salaries, as well as the inside scoop on interviewing and working at many companies. A quick search for postdoctoral fellowship salaries in Toronto gives these results with average around $45k. You can narrow down by your institution and your field to get a more accurate estimate of what a competitive salary would be for you:
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/University-of-Toronto-Postdoctoral-Fellow-Salaries-E31043_D_KO22,41.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/toronto-postdoctoral-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IM976_KO8,20.htm
Yes thanks for sharing the link, I checked it, but the missing info. and my question is about the NET Salary After TAX. As 55K is gross.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Its actually based on the NOC type. NOC A, B, 0 gets 50 and NOC 00 gets 200 CRS points.
I see, but as per @trumprefugee this PostDoc Fellowship is a temporary offer (2 years Project), hence can not be considered as 'Arranged Employment' in order to qualify for 50-200 points, regardless of the NOC, as it's excepted from LMIA (C44). Further opinions can shed a light to enlighten me.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
I see, but as per @trumprefugee this PostDoc Fellowship is a temporary offer (2 years Project), hence can not be considered as 'Arranged Employment' in order to qualify for 50-200 points, regardless of the NOC, as it's excepted from LMIA (C44). Further opinions can shed a light to enlighten me.
Oh! I did not read the whole discussion actually. Just jumped in to the discussion. :D:D