+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Applications Estimated at 24 Months?

SethLePod

Oct 25, 2023
The other day I researched the quotas for Quebec family class since 2016 until this year. And I have noticed that it has always been approx. 10k people. The only year I noticed a drop is in 2020 (covid), where they admitted only 7k.
I wasn't aware of this but I do appreciate the info - thank you. Was it originally a target or a hard limit? I'll admit that I'm surprised this number is unchanged, yet the waiting time appears to have more than doubled and is almost 3 times as long as other provinces. The Quebec government has made it clear multiple times that anglo immigration through family reunification is causing a big problem for French culture - and they do keep pressing for the ability to set language conditions on this category of immigration. I think one of the things that blows my mind is how secretive a lot of these policies and changes are - it's so difficult to find official information about it without going through multiple sources.

I'm interested in finding out more about this - certainly very fascinated to work out the reason for the huge increase. Would you be able to give me the links to the historical quotas you found as a starting point?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wasn't aware of this but I do appreciate the info - thank you. Was it originally a target or a hard limit? I'll admit that I'm surprised this number is unchanged, yet the waiting time appears to have more than doubled and is almost 3 times as long as other provinces. The Quebec government has made it clear multiple times that anglo immigration through family reunification is causing a big problem for French culture - and they do keep pressing for the ability to set language conditions on this category of immigration. I think one of the things that blows my mind is how secretive a lot of these policies and changes are - it's so difficult to find official information about it without going through multiple sources.

I'm interested in finding out more about this - certainly very fascinated to work out the reason for the huge increase. Would you be able to give me the links to the historical quotas you found as a starting point?
To the best of my knowledge, the hard limit / cap is recent (i.e. last couple of years).

I 100% agree with you on the secretive bit. That's what makes this so shady. They also tried to hide behind IRCC and make people think it was IRCC until IRCC essentially outed them. That's super shady. They are doing this to their own constituents and not being honest about it?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think you can find all the data here: https://www.quebec.ca/gouvernement/ministere/immigration/publications , look for Plan d’immigration du Québec
That's fine, both the feds and quebec have 'targets'. But the feds have always been clear that for family sponsorship, the 'targets' are basically just estimates - how many applications they get and how fast they can process them. They are in NO way a limit. (So if the feds didn't change them for years, irrelevant really)

That's the surprising bit - that quebec has started interpreting these as a limit.

Reactions: SethLePod

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Some good news/movement (not my timeline):

October,2022 Outland Application Timeline:
India
VO: Sydney, NS - then Mississauga
Sponsor: Quebec
Application lodged: 31 October, 2022
AOR: 12 January,2023
Biometric: 16 January,2023
Medical: 16 January,2023
Pass medical: 02 February,2023
CSQ Approved: 17 February,2023
Background done : 17 October, 2023
Eligibility: 17 October, 2023
Passport request: 17 October, 2023
Passport received: 7 November, 2023

SethLePod

Oct 25, 2023
That's fine, both the feds and quebec have 'targets'. But the feds have always been clear that for family sponsorship, the 'targets' are basically just estimates - how many applications they get and how fast they can process them. They are in NO way a limit. (So if the feds didn't change them for years, irrelevant really)

That's the surprising bit - that quebec has started interpreting these as a limit.
I had a look through the Plan d’immigration du Québec links provided by @HTS_QC and it's been really interesting to compare them to statistique.quebec.ca's figures for immigration by category to see how they correspond. Honestly, I'm more confused by the backlog now than I was when I started looking into this.

Thought I'd include a summary of what I've found so far, in case anyone's interested - apologies for the essay!

2017 Target: 12,800 - actual admissions: 12,135
2018 Target: 12,100 - actual admissions: 12,286
2019 Target: 11,700 - actual admissions: 9,686
2020 Target: 10,600 - actual admissions: 7,794
2021 Target: 10,600 - actual admissions: 13, 896
2022 Targets: 10,600 - actual admissions: 12,904

Some of the recent immigration plans even accounted for backlogs carrying over from the previous year. For example, Quebec's 2021 paper
estimates 2020's admissions at 7,100 (because of Covid) and includes a rebalancing figure:
"2021 Admission target:
Family reunification: 9,700 to 10,200 people. 1,550 admissions postponed from 2020 are also anticipated."

The 2022 paper estimates 2021 admissions as higher than target and accounted for a rebalancing in 2022:
"Family reunification: from 10,200 to 10,600 people. 1,000 catch-up admissions will be added to these regular targets."

For some reason, the 2023 paper estimated 2022 admissions as on target (ISQ actually suggests 2,000+ over target) and there's no more rebalancing mentioned:
"Family reunification: from 10,200 to 10,600 people."

Although weirdly, in the 2024 paper, the 2023 review suggests that this year's figure is still a target and not a limit:
"The number of immigrants admitted in the family reunification category is expected to be between 10,600 and 11,000, a slightly higher volume than the planned 10,200 to 10,600 admissions."

But the multi-year plan for 2024 and 2025 suggests a harder limit:
"Immigration levels in the family class will remain at 10,400 admissions for each year of the multi-year planning."

So - given that the targets have been regularly exceeded since 2021, I can't see where the enormous backlog has come from. It does look like they're clamping down harder on the targets now but not so much that we suddenly have 30,000 people waiting and an outland processing time of 33 months!

I 100% agree with you on the secretive bit. That's what makes this so shady. They also tried to hide behind IRCC and make people think it was IRCC until IRCC essentially outed them. That's super shady. They are doing this to their own constituents and not being honest about it?
Exactly this - people are being told by IRCC that they can't exceed Quebec's limits. Even the website is now saying "The number of admissions is limited to the number of family class spaces set by Quebec for the year" yet Quebec's official documents are presenting them as "targets" instead of limits. The conflicting messages and lack of transparency is just astonishing. I think my next steps are finding out if there are statistics showing the numbers of applications submitted vs processed, and digging into the backlog numbers that are being quoted to see where this figure is coming from.

Last edited:

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Some more good news, again not my timeline:

Submission: March 2023
Medical: April 2023
CSQ: July 2023
Final decision on GCKey: Mid November 2023.
VO: Rabat.

The person says that maybe the faster timeline is due to the Moroccan earthquake (I doubt it).

Last edited:

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Just stopping in to update, no changes to our in-Canada spousal sponsorship. Still waiting for my wife's open work permit. They received the paper application on 3 October and we haven't received any news yet aside from an email stating we needed to pay an additional amount on 20 October, IRCC processing time says 17 days but we are now past that number of days. Tried adding the application to her IRCC account but the system said it was unable to find the application.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Just stopping in to update, no changes to our in-Canada spousal sponsorship. Still waiting for my wife's open work permit. They received the paper application on 3 October and we haven't received any news yet aside from an email stating we needed to pay an additional amount on 20 October, IRCC processing time says 17 days but we are now past that number of days. Tried adding the application to her IRCC account but the system said it was unable to find the application.
Did she qualified to apply on paper? I didn't explore this topic too much but I thought spouses are required to apply online. Keep us posted on the progress, it would be interesting to see the outcome.

Reactions: HTS_QC

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Did she qualified to apply on paper? I didn't explore this topic too much but I thought spouses are required to apply online. Keep us posted on the progress, it would be interesting to see the outcome.
We applied on paper because we had paid for it in our initial application with the PR fees, then when we finally were able to figure out how to apply online we weren't able to upload the receipt and not able to get a refund so rather than repaying we submitted a paper application with an explanation. The amount extra we had to pay was we had apparently missed part of the cost. So seems she qualified for being able to apply on paper, they haven't sent the application back.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
We applied on paper because we had paid for it in our initial application with the PR fees, then when we finally were able to figure out how to apply online we weren't able to upload the receipt and not able to get a refund so rather than repaying we submitted a paper application with an explanation. The amount extra we had to pay was we had apparently missed part of the cost. So seems she qualified for being able to apply on paper, they haven't sent the application back.
Interesting, are you able to see your application on GCKEY?

I would imagine that if they have accepted your OWP application, it will be processed within 4-5 months as per the online applications. Did you try to call the IRCC call centre to see what's going on with your OWP application?

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Interesting, are you able to see your application on GCKEY?

I would imagine that if they have accepted your OWP application, it will be processed within 4-5 months as per the online applications. Did you try to call the IRCC call centre to see what's going on with your OWP application?
Tried adding it to GCKey and it says application not found, it's not a very good system cause even trying to add the PR application to GCKey says not found despite it being in the tracker. Hopefully, it processes faster than 4-5 months, we are getting tired of waiting for my wife to get something and it gets annoying having to pay for a visitor record extension. We could try calling but they've never been that helpful over the telephone.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
We just got off the phone with IRCC call centre:

1) No new information with our PR application, despite being at AIP stage all they said is it's not ready so they told us to be patient as if we haven't already been. We asked about the 25 months for in-land processing in Quebec and they had no input other than saying to be patient.
2) For the OWP, was not a lot of help other than eventually telling us to use the web form to resubmit that we paid the fees.
3) My wife's visitor record expired in September but we had gone to the US in July and knew we would be going again in December for the holidays to see her family, so we inquired about what we should do but they were no help. I think we will just apply for another visitor record, technically since last re-entry its been less than 6 months so there should be no issue.

In all, I would say calling the IRCC call centre is of no help.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

yoguibrown

Jul 7, 2013
My wife is March 2022 Quebec outland applicant (currently on an Open work visa) and she received the Pre-arrival letter a week ago and everything on the tracker changed to "Completed". Not sure how to feel about it. It would be totally unfair to wait until September 2024 (after passing 33 months) to get the PR. Have you heard of anyone obtaining PR for Quebec recently despite the Quota thing?