+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Applications Estimated at 24 Months?

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I hope to get at least AIP as it makes my wife and child qualify for RAMQ... if I get that soon I'll more than happy
I see from your timeline that you submitted an outland application, isn't AIP only sent to people who submitted an inland app?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I see from your timeline that you submitted an outland application, isn't AIP only sent to people who submitted an inland app?
I was under the impression that it`s indeed like that. But I`ve seen cases where people reported receiving AIP while outland.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I was under the impression that it`s indeed like that. But I`ve seen cases where people reported receiving AIP while outland.
Maybe they send AIP to applicants who submitted outland but reside in Canada when they pass the eligibility.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hi everyone!

We got COPR today. So the application took about 51 weeks to process. So it's not necessarily 2 years.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Congratulations! Really happy for you as it gives me some hope as well! Your eligibility never started?

Reactions: Person001

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
We have passed 3 months since AIP (inland) and my wife's medical expired yesterday although seems she will be exempt for a new one. We are also still waiting for her open work permit. It's frustrating that if we lived not that far away in Ottawa it would have most likely been finished by now.

SethLePod

Oct 25, 2023
We have passed 3 months since AIP (inland) and my wife's medical expired yesterday although seems she will be exempt for a new one. We are also still waiting for her open work permit. It's frustrating that if we lived not that far away in Ottawa it would have most likely been finished by now.
We're in the same boat. Application was submitted 22 months ago now, we got AIP in July and applied for OWP at the beginning of August - haven't heard a thing on either application since then and the medical exam expired in September. Even though the IRCC website says there's a temporary policy in place about not needing another medical exam, it's a bit unnerving to see the portal's "Review of medical results" now showing a big blank gap, instead of "completed".

Even though we have AIP and everything's been completed and approved, we've found it difficult to stay optimistic about a positive result. The family reunification quota (that's 1/3 of the number of people waiting in the queue) is a middle finger to the Federal Government - all because the CAQ weren't allowed to set french language conditions on family visas. We spoke to the MiFi about the situation and asked why they're still issuing CSQ's if they've reached the visa allowance this year but they said that it's the IRCC's responsibility to keep to the quota. They also said the wait time could go up to 36 months before the situation starts to get better. I just don't understand the lack of transparency about the quota - why it's being downplayed or why it's impossible to find out if the quota's been reached this year.

It's just super frustrating to be caught in the middle of political power games like this. The CAQ is really targetting immigration as the new big evil that's destroying french society - and their anti-anglophone propaganda is becoming a little scary. My french isn't great but it is passable - in the 2 1/2 years I've been here, there's been a real change in the way strangers react to my english accent - lately, some have been downright hostile. My husband's Quebecois and he's convinced that the family reunification visa cap is the CAQ's way of punishing french-canadians for marrying outside the province and "watering down" the culture. We're finding it hard not to get bitter about it all. I wanted to empathise with how you're feeling but ended up venting - sorry about that!

Anyway, stay strong - you might find it all moves quickly once the quota resets next year! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your OWP comes through quickly and you see some movement on the PR application soon!

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
When I found out about the quota and the backlog, I could not believe it. My parents kept and keep saying: you 2 are married, surely you are minimal requirements to meet and high priority processing....

At this point, I am expecting to have to even renew my owp in 2 years and hopefully get PR before my 2nd OWP will expire, i.e. within 4 years.

The border officer, when she let me in at the airport in Montreal, told me that I should expect PR within 15 to 18 months of submission. I hope she was right, but I think she might have followed the processing time for outside Quebec.

There is also to consider that, now that the longer processing times are clearly stated on the IRCC website, less people will submit applications with Quebec as final destination. And some people are considering relocation to Ontario with the application in progress to speed it up. I also imagine some people will just withdraw the application.

We will see how things get moving in January.

Reactions: SethLePod

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Processing times have just been updated, it is now 33 months to receive PR to Québec.
Makes sense. It's just going to continue to grow unless the Quebec government removes or significantly increases the caps. Such a crappy situation.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
By the time it`s processed, the CSQ will become expired....I wonder.... will they extend it or I just payed 434CAD (pa+dep.) to be lied to and then put on hold forever?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
By the time it`s processed, the CSQ will become expired....I wonder.... will they extend it or I just payed 434CAD (pa+dep.) to be lied to and then put on hold forever?
I would sincerely hope they extend.

SethLePod

Oct 25, 2023
Makes sense. It's just going to continue to grow unless the Quebec government removes or significantly increases the caps. Such a crappy situation.
When I spoke to MiFi, they were very matter of fact about saying that they expected it to go over 36 months before it gets better. To be honest, if we hadn't been waiting for almost 2 years at this point, I'd be looking to change province and I'll tell anyone sponsoring a family member to steer clear of Quebec. Which is exactly what the Quebec govt wants.

The CAQ are really pushing the "anglo immigration is ruining quebec" rhetoric nowadays. Quebec City and Montreal are still ok, but we live further out and I'm finding that my english accent is becoming a real problem for some people. At first, the govt said that it was fine as long as we could speak French. Nowadays, just learning french isn't enough, they only want native francophones because "people speaking english at home is destroying Quebec".

There's a huge labour shortage here - Quebec desperately needs immigrants. The teacher shortage is so bad thousands of classrooms are being taught by unqualified classroom assistants. The healthcare sector lost 20,000 workers over the last couple of years and haven't been able to replace them. On top of this, there's a general labour shortage of about 18,000 workers per year. Every other province is increasing immigration to address shortages but Quebec has drastically reduced immigration and is imposing even stricter conditions for visas. Honestly, it's starting to feel like the govt doesn't care if the province fails - as long as it fails in French.

They're not going to do anything to reduce waiting times because they've made it very clear they don't want us here. The long processing time isn't a bug - it's a feature.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
When I spoke to MiFi, they were very matter of fact about saying that they expected it to go over 36 months before it gets better.
The other day I researched the quotas for Quebec family class since 2016 until this year. And I have noticed that it has always been approx. 10k people. The only year I noticed a drop is in 2020 (covid), where they admitted only 7k.

• Wow