+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine rules for immigrants

Opearoba

Feb 19, 2021
You need travel authorization in order to come to Canada - or you need to fall under an exemption (e.g. having an immediate family member such as a spouse who is in Canada).

Yes, you should assume that you will be refused boarding by the airline if you don't have written authorization from IRCC or don't fall under an exemption.

Individuals with COPRs issued after March 2000 are not allowed to travel to Canada at this time.

Thank you for your honest response. However, I am struggling to understand why PR visas with a short expiration date were issued to applicants in the first place since there are still travel restrictions in place.

Also, I happen to be on a WhatsApp group where applicants share their landing stories which includes being requested of a landing authorization at PoE but are eventually being allowed to go without the authorization.

The question now is does anyone know the timeline involved to get this landing authorization if it is requested?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your honest response. However, I am struggling to understand why PR visas with a short expiration date were issued to applicants in the first place since there are still travel restrictions in place.

Also, I happen to be on a WhatsApp group where applicants share their landing stories which includes being requested of a landing authorization at PoE but are eventually being allowed to go without the authorization.

The question now is does anyone know the timeline involved to get this landing authorization if it is requested?

Thank you
The stories you are hearing may be individuals who fall under an exemption such as having a valid work permit or study permit, immediate family in Canada or having an authorization letter.

We have seen people on this forum with valid COPRs manage to board a plane and come to Canada without falling under an exemption, only to be turned back at the border and sent back home on the first flight. Some are managing to convince CBSA to allow them to land but others are being sent home. The rules state that you are not supposed to travel right now. So up to you if you try to follow the rules or try to get around the rules. If you want to try to get around the rules, then be prepared for the possibility that the airline will refused you boarding or that you might be refused entry at the border and sent home.

Information about the authorization letter process can be found here. It's primarily designed to allowed immediate and extended family members to re-united in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#pr-visa-holders

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
I called 17 times with 6hrs on hold and still no luck. I dont know how can we reach them out before my flight 26th. Online should have better to book rather than phone.
@Amm2020 any luck? I am also travelling on 26th but unable to reach them for booking a hotel. Where are you landing?

vikasp08

Feb 15, 2021
I called 17 times with 6hrs on hold and still no luck. I dont know how can we reach them out before my flight 26th. Online should have better to book rather than phone.
Hey! Have you had any luck with the hotel reservation? I have been trying to reach them too with no luck.

vikasp08

Feb 15, 2021
No luck here as well. This is very poor management on the part of the government.
Absolutely. Even when we are willing to comply with all the requirements and pay the exorbitant, they still want to make things as difficult as possible. It would have been so much easier for everyone if they had set up an online payment system.

Reactions: AkkiV

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Absolutely. Even when we are willing to comply with all the requirements and pay the exorbitant, they still want to make things as difficult as possible. It would have been so much easier for everyone if they had set up an online payment system.
pathetic it is really. I am just grateful they didn't ask to book hotels via postal mail.

vikasp08

Feb 15, 2021
No luck here as well. This is very poor management on the part of the government.
@AkkiV I managed to book the hotel. I got disconnected twice; first time after 1.5 hours and second time after 45 minutes. managed to connect the third time after around 3 hours. Very relieved! I used skype voip call. They have 1 month free trial that i used for the call. Hopefully you had some good luck too.

Reactions: AkkiV

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
@AkkiV I managed to book the hotel. I got disconnected twice; first time after 1.5 hours and second time after 45 minutes. managed to connect the third time after around 3 hours. Very relieved! I used skype voip call. They have 1 month free trial that i used for the call. Hopefully you had some good luck too.
Congratulations @vikasp08 !!! Thanks a ton for the advice. Let me try. Btw, which city are you landing in and do they let you choose the cheapest hotel among the ones available?

vikasp08

Feb 15, 2021
Congratulations @vikasp08 !!! Thanks a ton for the advice. Let me try. Btw, which city are you landing in and do they let you choose the cheapest hotel among the ones available?
I am landing in Toronto. I did ask for the cheapest hotel and the agent told me she would book me the cheapest one. But she didn't provide a list of prices during the call. I'm not sure how the hotels compare in this case.

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
they really need an online portal for this. The joke is that it is a free number for those inside Canada but the whole point is that it is a line for people outside Canada to call.

Reactions: AkkiV and vikasp08

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
I am yet to make any booking even after trying continuously for 2 days now. 2-3 times I was connected for 4 hours but still nothing. Really worried now.
Guys any idea what happens if one is unable to get a booking before boarding?

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
they now have a separate (collect) number for calling from outside Canada. They probably pick up quicker if you collect as they are paying for the call

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
@Wiggy you mean this number [1-613-830-2992 (collect outside of North America)] right? I have been calling this number from Skype on laptop.