+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

prtd rejected- student permit process

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
You need to be a lot more convincing than that, I'm afraid. You don't come across as someone who wants to study in Canada - you come across as someone who wants to move to Canada by any means possible.

I could be wrong, but that's just what your profile is telling me. Given that you've already been refused, you need a very strong application, and this isn't it.
Oh! So what can i do to convince VO other than this?

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
You need to be a lot more convincing than that, I'm afraid. You don't come across as someone who wants to study in Canada - you come across as someone who wants to move to Canada by any means possible.

I could be wrong, but that's just what your profile is telling me. Given that you've already been refused, you need a very strong application, and this isn't it.
i got a notice of appeal but i do not appeal . I can appeal and it would restore my pr status because i am 18 years old only.the chances of winning appeal are high.but i decided not to appeal moreover during appealing process i shall remain pr of canada.but i donot appeal. Isn’t this shows that i decided to leave pr status and go there for only study ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The appeal process is a better route than trying to get a study permit. You should do that.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
The appeal process is a better route than trying to get a study permit. You should do that.
Appealing time is now over i didnt appeal i got notice of appeal in January and i could appeal in 60 days.but now my pr status is renounced.
Isn’t this a supporting point for study visa that i donot appeal .?if i appealed i may got prtd atleast for hearing of appeal in canada.but i didnt appeal because i want to continue my studies.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Appealing time is now over i didnt appeal i got notice of appeal in January and i could appeal in 60 days.but now my pr status is renounced.
Isn’t this a supporting point for study visa that i donot appeal .?if i appealed i may got prtd atleast for hearing of appeal in canada.but i didnt appeal because i want to continue my studies.
No, it's not really a supporting point. Anyway, I wish you good luck and maybe other people can help you.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hlo scylla i am applying for a student visa after prtd rejection.i fear that if my previous prtd rejection case affect my study visa chances.are my student visa chances are low due to that?i got prtd rejected on 11 jan and notic of appeal but i didn’t appeal and now i am applying for study permit.
Thankyou please reply soon
My sense is that being a FORMER PR is a positive factor UNLESS reason for losing PR status was related to criminality or security issues. (Losing PR status due to noncompliance with the Residency Obligation is NOT an example of abusing the system and does NOT involve any violations of Canadian immigration laws.)

BUT that would NOT be a big factor. As I attempted to point out in my previous post, there are MANY other factors, factors specific to the individual, which will influence the outcome of an application for a student permit. The individual's background and factual circumstances, apart from the fact of having been a former PR, will ordinarily have far greater impact.

At the least, the fact you were a former PR who lost status due to noncompliance with the PR Residency Obligation should NOT, not in itself, have any negative weight in whether you will obtain a student permit.

Otherwise, this is not an appropriate venue for sharing the level of detail about one's personal history and situation that will be anywhere near enough information to support a reasonable forecast for a particular individual . . . EXCEPT . . . The main exception is having an obvious factor which is more or less definitively negative; examples: like criminal inadmissibility, or like an overstay resulting in actual removal proceedings.

Additionally . . .

THIS PART OF THE FORUM IS ABOUT PR OBLIGATIONS AND IS NOT MUCH OF A RESOURCE FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT OBTAINING TEMPORARY STATUS IN CANADA, STUDENT PERMITS OR OTHERWISE.

You are NOT a Canadian PR. You are a Foreign National so far as the Canadian immigration system is concerned. The fact you are a FORMER PR is, again, a relevant factor (which, again, my sense is this is a positive factor), but this is a rather SMALL factor compared to many other factors in your personal history and circumstances.

You have participated in other parts of the forum where such questions are better discussed. I am not familiar with the level or quality of the activity in those conferences/topics BUT those are the more appropriate venues and setting for these questions. I am referring to the particular topics grouped under the heading "Temporary Entry to Canada" (topics for international students and visitors), and even if you are not pursuing this from the U.S., you may find more relevant commentary in the topics listed under "Temporary Residence in Canada (Work, Study, Visit)" grouped under "Moving to Canada from the U.S."

For clarification, it does NOT appear you have "renounced" your PR status. Rather, your status has been adjudicated to be terminated; that is, there has been a formal decision as to your status resulting in the loss of PR status. This is mostly a technical distinction, probably of minimal if any import. But in describing your situation it will be more accurate to say you are a former Canadian PR who lost PR status due to noncompliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

There is a tendency among some participants here to describe the denial of a PR Travel Document application as "beginning the process to terminate" a PR's status. Actually it is THE DECISION which terminates PR status. There is a right of appeal, of course, but the Visa Office's decision is the definitive decision terminating PR status . . . it terminates status unless the PR SUCCESSFULLY pursues process to have it set aside or overruled. (Saying that the Visa Office decision to deny a PR TD begins the process to terminate PR status is like saying that a trial judge's entry of the verdict and imposition of sentence in a criminal case is like beginning the process to convict the defendant of a crime if the defendant is allowed a stay pending appeal. One might choose to think of it that way. For what that is worth. Fact is, however, the DECISION has been made and the only question is whether the decision can be set aside or overruled.)

In any event, you did NOT appeal. The time for an appeal is past. You have not "renounced" your status. You have lost it.

And this is NOT of much significance, now, in whether you qualify for a student permit, in whether IRCC will give you an opportunity to study in Canada.

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
My sense is that being a FORMER PR is a positive factor UNLESS reason for losing PR status was related to criminality or security issues. (Losing PR status due to noncompliance with the Residency Obligation is NOT an example of abusing the system and does NOT involve any violations of Canadian immigration laws.)

BUT that would NOT be a big factor. As I attempted to point out in my previous post, there are MANY other factors, factors specific to the individual, which will influence the outcome of an application for a student permit. The individual's background and factual circumstances, apart from the fact of having been a former PR, will ordinarily have far greater impact.

At the least, the fact you were a former PR who lost status due to noncompliance with the PR Residency Obligation should NOT, not in itself, have any negative weight in whether you will obtain a student permit.

Otherwise, this is not an appropriate venue for sharing the level of detail about one's personal history and situation that will be anywhere near enough information to support a reasonable forecast for a particular individual . . . EXCEPT . . . The main exception is having an obvious factor which is more or less definitively negative; examples: like criminal inadmissibility, or like an overstay resulting in actual removal proceedings.

Additionally . . .

THIS PART OF THE FORUM IS ABOUT PR OBLIGATIONS AND IS NOT MUCH OF A RESOURCE FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT OBTAINING TEMPORARY STATUS IN CANADA, STUDENT PERMITS OR OTHERWISE.

You are NOT a Canadian PR. You are a Foreign National so far as the Canadian immigration system is concerned. The fact you are a FORMER PR is, again, a relevant factor (which, again, my sense is this is a positive factor), but this is a rather SMALL factor compared to many other factors in your personal history and circumstances.

You have participated in other parts of the forum where such questions are better discussed. I am not familiar with the level or quality of the activity in those conferences/topics BUT those are the more appropriate venues and setting for these questions. I am referring to the particular topics grouped under the heading "Temporary Entry to Canada" (topics for international students and visitors), and even if you are not pursuing this from the U.S., you may find more relevant commentary in the topics listed under "Temporary Residence in Canada (Work, Study, Visit)" grouped under "Moving to Canada from the U.S."

For clarification, it does NOT appear you have "renounced" your PR status. Rather, your status has been adjudicated to be terminated; that is, there has been a formal decision as to your status resulting in the loss of PR status. This is mostly a technical distinction, probably of minimal if any import. But in describing your situation it will be more accurate to say you are a former Canadian PR who lost PR status due to noncompliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

There is a tendency among some participants here to describe the denial of a PR Travel Document application as "beginning the process to terminate" a PR's status. Actually it is THE DECISION which terminates PR status. There is a right of appeal, of course, but the Visa Office's decision is the definitive decision terminating PR status . . . it terminates status unless the PR SUCCESSFULLY pursues process to have it set aside or overruled. (Saying that the Visa Office decision to deny a PR TD begins the process to terminate PR status is like saying that a trial judge's entry of the verdict and imposition of sentence in a criminal case is like beginning the process to convict the defendant of a crime if the defendant is allowed a stay pending appeal. One might choose to think of it that way. For what that is worth. Fact is, however, the DECISION has been made and the only question is whether the decision can be set aside or overruled.)

In any event, you did NOT appeal. The time for an appeal is past. You have not "renounced" your status. You have lost it.

And this is NOT of much significance, now, in whether you qualify for a student permit, in whether IRCC will give you an opportunity to study in Canada.
Thxxxxx alot for giving me ur precious tym and good guidance.☺

Pamela123

Mar 17, 2019

Additionally . . .

Hi based on your response maybe you can advice as to what I should do...I want to go back to Canada, I’m a Pr who also hasn’t met the RO. I left Canada as a minor and it’s been now like 20 years living abroad. I don’t know what to do, my family, husband a three children aren’t Pr. Should I renounce my Pr and apply for a program?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi based on your response maybe you can advice as to what I should do...I want to go back to Canada, I’m a Pr who also hasn’t met the RO. I left Canada as a minor and it’s been now like 20 years living abroad. I don’t know what to do, my family, husband a three children aren’t Pr. Should I renounce my Pr and apply for a program?
I am NO expert and cannot offer personal advice.

My impression is that others have adequately offered about as much as this forum can.

Technically, it appears, you are still a Permanent Resident. But, given the circumstances, and in particular the length of the absence, it seems very likely that any transaction with IRCC or CBSA will result in a formal adjudication terminating that status. In particular, absent some other outstanding and compelling factor, the length of your absence tips the scales toward this being one of those more or less obvious outcome scenarios in which there is very little prospect of keeping your PR status.

Practically you might as well approach this just like any other Foreign National in your situation . . . except you cannot apply for status, temporary or otherwise, until EITHER you renounce your current PR status OR you do something like apply for a PR Travel Document which will result (most likely) in a decision terminating your PR status. Once you are no longer TECHNICALLY a PR, you will formally be a Foreign National and be able to pursue whatever immigration status you qualify for.

And it appears your spouse and children are all FNs as well.

Thus, you will probably find more relevant discussions in the topics about applying to visit or immigrate to Canada. I do not follow those matters much any more.

Pamela123

Mar 17, 2019
I am NO expert and cannot offer personal advice.

My impression is that others have adequately offered about as much as this forum can.

Technically, it appears, you are still a Permanent Resident. But, given the circumstances, and in particular the length of the absence, it seems very likely that any transaction with IRCC or CBSA will result in a formal adjudication terminating that status. In particular, absent some other outstanding and compelling factor, the length of your absence tips the scales toward this being one of those more or less obvious outcome scenarios in which there is very little prospect of keeping your PR status.

Practically you might as well approach this just like any other Foreign National in your situation . . . except you cannot apply for status, temporary or otherwise, until EITHER you renounce your current PR status OR you do something like apply for a PR Travel Document which will result (most likely) in a decision terminating your PR status. Once you are no longer TECHNICALLY a PR, you will formally be a Foreign National and be able to pursue whatever immigration status you qualify for.

And it appears your spouse and children are all FNs as well.

Thus, you will probably find more relevant discussions in the topics about applying to visit or immigrate to Canada. I do not follow those matters much any more.
Well thank you for the info..pretty much makes sense

Vaishu221

Oct 24, 2020
Hello,

My PR card is expired, I did not meet the requirement. Currently, I am in India. My husband moved back there recently and he is working there. He has PR. If I apply for PRTD, do I have a chance to enter Canada? Will my PRTD get approved?

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hello,

My PR card is expired, I did not meet the requirement. Currently, I am in India. My husband moved back there recently and he is working there. He has PR. If I apply for PRTD, do I have a chance to enter Canada? Will my PRTD get approved?
Based on the information you’ve given (which is close to nothing), yes you have a chance. No idea what the chance is but theoretically you have a chance.

With the sarcasm out of the way, if you want help then be sure to give more information. Was there a reason to be stuck outside? How many days were you outside? Why were you outside? What harm will it cause you to lose your PR Status?

All relevant questions for a H&C application.

Vaishu221

Oct 24, 2020
Based on the information you’ve given (which is close to nothing), yes you have a chance. No idea what the chance is but theoretically you have a chance.

With the sarcasm out of the way, if you want help then be sure to give more information. Was there a reason to be stuck outside? How many days were you outside? Why were you outside? What harm will it cause you to lose your PR Status?

All relevant questions for a H&C application.

In the last 6 years, I have been there for 11 months. I had a health issue, so I came to India first. After one year, my husband came back to India and joined a job to stay with me in India. Now i am fully recovered. And we decided to go back. He has PR so last month he traveled to Canada and got an IT job. So this is my situation. Now should I apply for PRTD or I should renounce my PR status and apply for New PR as my husband can sponsor me again?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Is your husband compliant with his RO?