+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

prtd rejected- student permit process

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.
I am also stranded in India. I already got admission in University of Ottawa and kinda scared of applying for PRTD considering my age 22 years.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
I am also stranded in India. I already got admission in University of Ottawa and kinda scared of applying for PRTD considering my age 22 years.
I cancelled my PRTD. Applying as a temporary resident. One month left for my session to begin and PRDT would have taken more than a month.

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
I cancelled my PRTD. Applying as a temporary resident. One month left for my session to begin and PRDT would have taken more than a month.
Which university you coming? Did you apply PRTD at first and then withdraw your application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can't just cancel your prtd you would have to renounce your PR if you are trying to get a study permit.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
Which university you coming? Did you apply PRTD at first and then withdraw your application.
Nope, there is no option of withdrawal after applying and there is no processing time mentioned ( At vfs they told me minimum is one month) so decided to apply as a temporary resident. I am going to SFU, Burnaby.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Showing up without a PR card, you are going to be subject to secondary inspection to confirm your status. Once in secondary, it’s anyones guess whether you will be reported or not. And just to note, entering through the border into Canada won’t change the results from your PR card renewal. If the application is denied, whether you are in Canada or not, the process to revoke your status will start.

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Showing up without a PR card, you are going to be subject to secondary inspection to confirm your status. Once in secondary, it’s anyones guess whether you will be reported or not. And just to note, entering through the border into Canada won’t change the results from your PR card renewal. If the application is denied, whether you are in Canada or not, the process to revoke your status will start.
Do I have to face any issue with immigration officer during secondary review, If I enter Using US study visa? Just get a US study visa, fly to america, and exit airport and then head to Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do I have to face any issue with immigration officer during secondary review, If I enter Using US study visa? Just get a US study visa, fly to america, and exit airport and then head to Canada.
How do you plan to get a US study visa? By lying that you will study in US?

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Do I need to still officially renounce my PR or is that already done with prtd rejection and no additional document needs to be attached with the student permit application?
I have my grandparents residing in Canada and they want me to come to Canada in the summer thats why I want to apply for the student permit earlier. Will this be a problem?
I an in same situation now .i also applied for prtd but got a notice of appeal within 60 days .now tell me please what did u do?did u officially renounce ur pr status or u did nothing but wait for 60 days of time of appeal..please reply its urgent !!

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
A study permit is a document allowing you to study. It's not a visa. Along with a study permit they will give you a visa, (if you don't already have one) but that probably won't become valid until August.

If you want to visit people in Canada you should apply for a tourist visa.

I'm not sure if you need to wait the 60 days. I believe that as long as you don't appeal you can apply for a visa immediately.
I am in same situation .please advise someone that what can i do now.my prtd is rejected and got a notice of appeal within 60 days otherwise my pr status will lost.so what can i do niw will i need to officially renounce my pr status myself or it will be lost automatically after 60 days of appeal,please reply fast

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi

1. The OP will have to wait out the appeal period before any TRV/SA will be considered.
Will i need to offically renounce my pr status or i just have to wait for 60 days of appealing and after that my pr status will be lost automatically?