+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

prtd rejected- student permit process

km98

May 15, 2017
I had applied for a permanent resident travel document on humanitarian & compassionate grounds. however it was rejected. I still need to go to Canada as my university is about to start in fall and i have been accepted. What is the process for applying a student permit after the PRTD rejection. Do i still need to renounce my pr? should I wait for 60 days so that the period for appeal is expired? or should I straight away apply for a student permit?

R

rish888

I believe you can apply for a study permit after a rejection without needing to wait the 60 days. It's January so if your university will start in fall you still around 7-8 months.

Also, did you apply for a PRTD by yourself or with your family?

km98

May 15, 2017
I believe you can apply for a study permit after a rejection without needing to wait the 60 days? It's January so if your university will start in fall you still around 7-8 months.
Do I need to still officially renounce my PR or is that already done with prtd rejection and no additional document needs to be attached with the student permit application?
I have my grandparents residing in Canada and they want me to come to Canada in the summer thats why I want to apply for the student permit earlier. Will this be a problem?

R

rish888

Do I need to still officially renounce my PR or is that already done with prtd rejection and no additional document needs to be attached with the student permit application?
I have my grandparents residing in Canada and they want me to come to Canada in the summer thats why I want to apply for the student permit earlier. Will this be a problem?
A study permit is a document allowing you to study. It's not a visa. Along with a study permit they will give you a visa, (if you don't already have one) but that probably won't become valid until August.

If you want to visit people in Canada you should apply for a tourist visa.

I'm not sure if you need to wait the 60 days. I believe that as long as you don't appeal you can apply for a visa immediately.

km98

May 15, 2017
A study permit is a document allowing you to study. It's not a visa. Along with a study permit they will give you a visa, (if you don't already have one) but that probably won't become valid until August.

I'm not sure if you need to wait the 60 days. I believe that as long as you don't appeal you can apply for a visa immediately.
Even for the tourist visa do i need to attach a renouncing of pr document or that won't be necessary.

R

rish888

Even for the tourist visa do i need to attach a renouncing of pr document or that won't be necessary.
I wouldn't think so since your PR status is already gone unless you take action and appeal. Others can comment as I'm not 100% sure.

jignesh72

Sep 28, 2017
I had applied for a permanent resident travel document on humanitarian & compassionate grounds. however it was rejected. I still need to go to Canada as my university is about to start in fall and i have been accepted. What is the process for applying a student permit after the PRTD rejection. Do i still need to renounce my pr? should I wait for 60 days so that the period for appeal is expired? or should I straight away apply for a student permit?
Hi! Can you give us idea . you applied PRTD for yourself alone or whole of the family. As I have similar case. So they do reject PRTd even if you apply at first opportunity after becoming major.

R

rish888

Hi! Can you give us idea . you applied PRTD for yourself alone or whole of the family. As I have similar case. So they do reject PRTd even if you apply at first opportunity after becoming major.
@jignesh72 He applied with his family; that could have been the reason. it is important to understand that while you may have a good shot, it is far from guaranteed. Thus my recommendation to use the land border over applying for a PRTD.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. The OP will have to wait out the appeal period before any TRV/SA will be considered.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
Even I fear my PRTD will be rejected. What did you do? Did it affect your study permit ?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok Permanent residents do not need study permit. their PR is the study permit.

If you fail PRTD a process of cancellation of your PR begins. You still have chance to appeal. If you were not in Canada during past year (365 days back), you will not get PRTD to attend your court hearing.
if your appeal will be denied as well then you will loose your PR.
Additional option is to renounce it and go there as an international student. Being PR and being in Canada 10+ years ago should not have any bad effect on your visa application (especially if you renounce your PR). So it will just play on how strong are your current ties to your home country..